• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nikuman View Post
    When's your half iron?
    End of March.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

I rode a bit under 39 miles this weekend in 2.5 hours, which had me at an average speed right around 15 mph. I was short on time, so I ran 8 miles at a bit over a 9 min/mile average pace. I had a spotty week of training and rest due to a work trip, so I can't complain at all. I'd like to ride 40 and run 12 next week, but I'll go by feel.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
        I rode a bit under 39 miles this weekend in 2.5 hours, which had me at an average speed right around 15 mph. I was short on time, so I ran 8 miles at a bit over a 9 min/mile average pace. I had a spotty week of training and rest due to a work trip, so I can't complain at all. I'd like to ride 40 and run 12 next week, but I'll go by feel.
        How are you feeling about the upcoming training schedule. I've got my first full week in the books and I am intimidated. Did a 4-50-6 r-b-r brick on Saturday and it wiped me out. Went too fast on the bike though.
        Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

How are you feeling about the upcoming training schedule. I've got my first full week in the books and I am intimidated. Did a 4-50-6 r-b-r brick on Saturday and it wiped me out. Went too fast on the bike though.
          I'm excited! This is the part that really tests a person; race day is the payoff. My goal is an hour swim M-F AM (although I have yet to get in the water), an hour run T/Th PM, an hour bike M/W PM, a long ride and run Sat AM, and a longish recovery ride Sun AM. That's (a lot) more than what I've been doing, but it's manageable for two months.

You and I are fighting different beasts, though. I can only imagine the time sink this will be for you. I'll probably do a 55-13 bike-run two weeks before my event as my longest training day; you're already there.

Comment

I just pulled the trigger on a Cervelo P2. Had to do a deal with the devil (more accurately, my wife) to get it but it's a done deal. I get fitted for it tonight. Now taking suggestions for names. Moliere has the frontrunner so far.

Comment

Moliere has the frontrunner so far.

Also, nice bike. Next time we ride together you'll probably lap me.
              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

I just pulled the trigger on a Cervelo P2.
                That's big-time. Enjoy the bike. You must enjoy sitting on that seat for hours on end much more than I do.

Comment

The official triathlon thread

That's big-time. Enjoy the bike. You must enjoy sitting on that seat for hours on end much more than I do.
                  I actually am getting a decent deal on it (plus no interest financing for a year - free time value for me!).

The seat on it right now is a Fizik Arionne Tri 2. Dude at the bike shop said I'd hate it and I did on the trainer last night, but even in spite of that it wa immediately obvious that this was going to be waaaaaaay more comfortable than simply slamming aerobars on my road bike (now my wife's road bike - that was part of the deal with the devil, and the other part was effectively giving up my personal allowance for the rest of the year). So I'm swapping that out for something different - leaning towards the Adamo Road, but not sure yet. We'll try a few this evening.

The wheels suck, of course, but I'm going to rent a Zipp 404/808 Firecrest set for the big race. Also going to get a new aero helmet (Nashbar has a deal on the Giro Advantage 2). Tris are so much fun that I'm planning on doing several sprints and international distances through the summer.

Moliere, my wife has expressed significant displeasure at your choice of name. We may have to rethink.

Comment

Tris are so much fun that I'm planning on doing several sprints and international distances through the summer.
                    I'm wondering whether I'll feel the same after my first. If I do, I may be upgrading as well. For now, I don't even have aero bars.

Comment

I'm wondering whether I'll feel the same after my first. If I do, I may be upgrading as well. For now, I don't even have aero bars.
                      I have a set of almost-never used ones I'll sell for half price. Been out of the box since Saturday, have a grand total of six miles on them.

Comment

... my road bike (now my wife's road bike) ...

Moliere, my wife has expressed significant displeasure at your choice of name. We may have to rethink.
                        Congrats on getting the new bike. You gave your wife your road bike, so now you only have a tri bike? On the one hand, that's great that you're getting your wife into cycling, and on the other hand, I think you're going to want a road bike from time to time that has a more relaxed geometry than that tri bike.

What was Moliere's suggestion of a name for the bike?

Comment

Originally posted by mtnbiker View Post
                          Congrats on getting the new bike. You gave your wife your road bike, so now you only have a tri bike? On the one hand, that's great that you're getting your wife into cycling, and on the other hand, I think you're going to want a road bike from time to time that has a more relaxed geometry than that tri bike.

What was Moliere's suggestion of a name for the bike?
                          Technically I think we'll share the road bike. But she wants to use SPD pedals because she uses her cycling shoes at the gym with SPD cleats, so I'll have to install my speedplay pedals back on it. No biggy. Also, we probably need to formally fit her to the bike and swap out the seat, so there is that. But at least we can both use the same frame?

If she ever learns how to swim then she'll do tris as well and we'll end up sharing both. Which is fine.

Moliere suggested naming it Fanny. I presume he was referring to it as my first plural bike, so it made me laugh. It made my wife scowl. The kids are going to come up with some ideas tonight.

Comment

So I have the new bike. Leaning towards the name Penelope. Don't ask me why. I'm still open, however, and my kids are supposed to give me a list.

Last night was the fitting. It was immediately apparent that the stock Fizik Arionne tri 2 saddle was going to leave me infertile in the first two miles, so we junked that immediately. I tried out a Cobb that was decent but went with the Adamo Road - a bit heftier than the Racing II that I originally thought I'd want, but I am doing an Ironman after all, not a sprint Tri. I also added a dual bottle cage with flat repair stuff on the back behind the seat, and a horizontal bottle holder between the aerobars. Also got a Giro Advantage 2 helmet. I am all set up for May once I have my wheel rental.

Spent the easiest hour on a trainer ever last night. It was cake.

Comment

So I have the new bike. Leaning towards the name Penelope. Don't ask me why. I'm still open, however, and my kids are supposed to give me a list.

Last night was the fitting. It was immediately apparent that the stock Fizik Arionne tri 2 saddle was going to leave me infertile in the first two miles, so we junked that immediately. I tried out a Cobb that was decent but went with the Adamo Road - a bit heftier than the Racing II that I originally thought I'd want, but I am doing an Ironman after all, not a sprint Tri. I also added a dual bottle cage with flat repair stuff on the back behind the seat, and a horizontal bottle holder between the aerobars. Also got a Giro Advantage 2 helmet. I am all set up for May once I have my wheel rental.

Spent the easiest hour on a trainer ever last night. It was cake.
                              I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on comfort, return on energy, etc. as you compare the tri bike to your road bike, especially for longer solo rides.

Comment

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on comfort, return on energy, etc. as you compare the tri bike to your road bike, especially for longer solo rides.
                                I'm doing a 65 miler this weekend as part of a brick (run 9 miles before, 4 miles after ). I'll let you know how she does on the road but based on how the trainer felt last night I think it will be awesome.

Comment

Working...
                                X