The official triathlon thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The official triathlon thread

I'm feeling a little left out, having no "official" threads to my credit, so I'll start this one.

Despite falling off the wagon this last week workout-wise, I'm planning on doing the Kokopelli triathlon in St George next weekend. I did a couple of triathlons in college but never seriously and while this will hardly be anything brag-worthy, I'd like to not look completely stupid. I know Arch is the man to go to on this stuff, but given his absence, I think there are a few others of you who do these occasionally, so here are my questions:
    1) Swimsuit - I'm hearing about these "jammers". I have a Speedo that I work out in and while I have a body to kill for, I really don't want to have a Meet The Parents volleyball scene moment at the race. Should I buy some jammers? It's an open-water tri but pretty warm water and I'm not crazy about dropping $200 on a wetsuit.
    2) What do I ride in? How do I pull this transition off? I think that in college, I just rode in my suit, but the chafage that would go with that just seems too much. My bike shorts are starting to draw the attention of law enforcement, so I need new ones anyway. I also have been getting this little strip of tan line between where my shirt ends and my shorts start on my back, so I was thinking of getting one of those one-piece bib-style things. Would this work for a triathlon too?
    3) While I'm on the subject, I need a new bike jersey. I've been riding in my running shirts but the flapping is getting a bit much. Are all jerseys created equal--just pick out something I like? They're ridiculously expensive at our bike shop. Any recommendations online?
    4) Any other tips? Arch--feel free to chime in through creekster if you're lurking.
    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
    I'm feeling a little left out, having no "official" threads to my credit, so I'll start this one.

Despite falling off the wagon this last week workout-wise, I'm planning on doing the Kokopelli triathlon in St George next weekend. I did a couple of triathlons in college but never seriously and while this will hardly be anything brag-worthy, I'd like to not look completely stupid. I know Arch is the man to go to on this stuff, but given his absence, I think there are a few others of you who do these occasionally, so here are my questions:
    1) Swimsuit - I'm hearing about these "jammers". I have a Speedo that I work out in and while I have a body to kill for, I really don't want to have a Meet The Parents volleyball scene moment at the race. Should I buy some jammers? It's an open-water tri but pretty warm water and I'm not crazy about dropping $200 on a wetsuit.
    2) What do I ride in? How do I pull this transition off? I think that in college, I just rode in my suit, but the chafage that would go with that just seems too much. My bike shorts are starting to draw the attention of law enforcement, so I need new ones anyway. I also have been getting this little strip of tan line between where my shirt ends and my shorts start on my back, so I was thinking of getting one of those one-piece bib-style things. Would this work for a triathlon too?
    3) While I'm on the subject, I need a new bike jersey. I've been riding in my running shirts but the flapping is getting a bit much. Are all jerseys created equal--just pick out something I like? They're ridiculously expensive at our bike shop. Any recommendations online?
    4) Any other tips? Arch--feel free to chime in through creekster if you're lurking.
    1. I would invest in a pair of tri-shorts. They run about $60. They are quick drying have a light pad for the biking portion. I would recommend, at some point, renting a wetsuit. You would not beleive how much the loss in drag and the extra buoyancy help on the swim. Remember, the water has to be colder than 78 degrees to wear a wetsuit. It should cost you about $30 to rent and good shops will allow you to apply that to the purchase of a wetsuit if you decide to do so.

2. Ride in the tri-shorts if you get them. I wear them under my wetsuit and pull the wetsuit off, put on my jersey and go. For transitioning, I just went with my stuff (a nice checklist can be found Here) and looked at how others were laying out there stuff and then adjusted for what I didn't like after the first race. Pick up a 5 gallon bucket from home depot. It is good for transporting your stuff and nice to throw your wet stuff after the swim. I HIGHLY recommend 2toms Sports Shield Roll on. Good bye chaffing.

The do have one piece tri-suits. I have found that I don't like them but you may. I have a 2 that I haven't even worn that you could have. Not sure how tall you are, but I would send them to you to try. Let me know.

The other two questions I will let the experts take care of. I will add, I find that I get what I pay for in Cycling jerseys as far as fit and finish.

Good luck!

Comment

I've only done one tri - and it was a sprint at that. So take all of this with a grain of salt.

I picked up some jammers and did everything in them. My bike ride was only 10 miles, so it wasn't a big deal. If I was going to do more than 20 I might come up with something else. My friend just ran and swam in his bike shorts. I've never had any, so I don't have any idea how awkward that may be.

I could see picking up a tri-suit if I was going to do this a lot. On the other hand, I would probably just use jammers and gut out the bike for one day. I don't worry about transitions when training and doing bricks - so you can always change from suit to bike shorts when training.

As for a wetsuit - I've never used one but can see the benefit. Particularly of a wetsuit with full to 3/4 legs and a tank top. Men's legs and rears tend to sink when you are swimming. The extra boyancy of a wetsuit can really cut the drag by keeping you horozontal in the water when swimming.

Comment

I ran my first triathlon in fifteen years yesterday. I registered for the sprint because I thought it would be a good way to get back into things.

The swim was an open-water half-mile. I had heard open-water was tough if you hadn't done it before, but you really don't know what that means until you experience it. I bet I swallowed a half-gallon of water between being kicked in the face and elbowed to the gut. I'd finally be relieved to be swimming clearly only to look up and realize that the reason I was swimming alone was that I was way off course. By the time I finished the half-mile (probably closer to 3/4 a mile for me...), I could barely stand up and stumble up the hill to my bike. It was a relief to be on the felt and I actually felt really strong, which surprised me. I always took triathletes to be cyclists first, since a bike is the biggest barrier to entry, but I passed quite a few cyclists on the bike portion (maybe that's a testament to my slow swim). There was one big climb that was about 3/4 mile long and 8-10% grade but other than that it was all nice rollers. Man, there were some guys who just blistered this thing. It was cool to see riders like that--what I imagine RC or Arch to be. The run was almost all sand, with big ups and downs--brutally slow.

Overall, it was a really fun race. In the end, I placed first in the Clydesdale division (advantage to falling off the fitday wagon... ), which was a pleasant surprise. Putting some more time in the pool (I only did two swim workouts this summer), buying/renting a wetsuit (I'd guess about two-thirds had them), having an open-water experience under my belt, logging more miles on the bike, getting some of those cool aero bars, and tweaking my transitions a little could cut some minutes off. I'd kind of blown off training for this since it was only a short course--being in a little better shape might have helped my run a little, but I'm not sure how much.

Triathlons are funner and more strategic than road races, with lots of opportunities to sink your money into gadgets--I can see how people get really into these. I also like the variety of training. I think I have a new hobby (exactly what I need).

Thanks for the tips, guys. I ended up just swimming in my bike shorts, which actually worked really well. That checklist saved my butt, as I was walking out the door without my number or my running shoes, and made me think of a few helpful things well before the race (quick-ties on my shoes, for one).
        At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
        -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Overall, it was a really fun race. In the end, I placed first in the Clydesdale division (advantage to falling off the fitday wagon... ), which was a pleasant surprise.
          I am having a really, really hard time believing you are a Clydesdale. I am not, and I would have guessed I have 20 pounds on you, your height advantage notwithstanding.
          Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

Originally posted by nikuman View Post
            I am having a really, really hard time believing you are a Clydesdale. I am not, and I would have guessed I have 20 pounds on you, your height advantage notwithstanding.
            Uh...thanks, I think.

We did have to weigh in on race day, so I couldn't cheat. I'm ranging between 200 and 205 these days (205 on race day). It certainly takes away the incentive to lose weight. I couldn't sniff the podium otherwise.
            -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Uh...thanks, I think.

We did have to weigh in on race day, so I couldn't cheat. I'm ranging between 200 and 205 these days (205 on race day). It certainly takes away the incentive to lose weight. I couldn't sniff the podium otherwise.
              I meant it in a nice way.

How tall are you, if I may ask? I would have guessed 6'4", but we were sitting down the entire time.

Comment

Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                I meant it in a nice way.

How tall are you, if I may ask? I would have guessed 6'4", but we were sitting down the entire time.
                Yeah, I'm 6'4". I'm impressed. I'm terrible at guessing heights and would have figured you were about the same height.

DDD, on the other hand...
                -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Yeah, I'm 6'4". I'm impressed. I'm terrible at guessing heights and would have figured you were about the same height.

DDD, on the other hand...
                  I look taller than I am. I am not quite 6'1" (6' and 3/4"). I also look lighter than I am, even now.

Comment

Resurecting the triathlon thread...

It's been about a week and a half since I ran the marathon. I figured running that, I was in pretty good shape, right? Next week I start a 9 week training program for the Spudman the end of July. (Really, I'm modifying a 16 week program.) It's a pretty simple program - with the idea of just finishing and being respectable rather than seriously competing.

Anyway - it says something about being able to swim/bike/run for at least 40 minutes straight. That's each individually - and not consecutively.

So this week I'm just doing those individually to see where I am.

Today I ran. I figured I would kick it hard for the first 5K to see what kind of shape I'm in, and then coast whatever time I had remaining for 40 minutes.

Holy Cow, Batman!

I was running between 22-23 minutes last fall. I decided to try and keep it under 24 as a goal - again, assuming I must be in OK shape. Afterall, I just ran a freaking marathon a week and a half ago, right? I ended up right on 25. Felt slow. I was breathing harder than I have in a while. Running the marathon I never did run out of breath - I just didn't have legs at the end. This time it was all breathing and heartrate.

Looks like I have plenty of training to do.

Comment

I took the longest bike ride of my short career this morning. 70 minutes.

Prior to this I don't think I've ever ridden longer than 45. Maybe 50.

I've decided that I definately need to pick up some biking shorts before I do that again. And certainly before I ride any longer distances.

At the same time, 70 minutes wasn't horrible and I expect that I'll be able to do 20 miles in about that (hopefully a little less). So I'm think that on the day of the actual race, I could get away with regular compression shorts so that I'm not swimming and running in biking shorts.

For those of you who have done these in the past - what did you do?

Is it worth getting the official "tri" shorts that have a little smaller padding?

Do regular biking shorts dry out quickly enough that you aren't ridding and running wet?

Comment

Salem Spring Sprint is tomorrow morning. I will post the results.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                          I took the longest bike ride of my short career this morning. 70 minutes.

Prior to this I don't think I've ever ridden longer than 45. Maybe 50.

I've decided that I definately need to pick up some biking shorts before I do that again. And certainly before I ride any longer distances.

At the same time, 70 minutes wasn't horrible and I expect that I'll be able to do 20 miles in about that (hopefully a little less). So I'm think that on the day of the actual race, I could get away with regular compression shorts so that I'm not swimming and running in biking shorts.

For those of you who have done these in the past - what did you do?

Is it worth getting the official "tri" shorts that have a little smaller padding?

Do regular biking shorts dry out quickly enough that you aren't ridding and running wet?
                          For even an Olympic I have never used tri shorts. Just some compression shorts and throw some other shorts on top. I am just too cheap. Having said that, I am going to buy some tri shorts for my 1/2 ironman in August. I just can't see riding 56 miles without any padding at all.

I was where you are a couple of years ago. A 45 minute bike ride was long. This morning I did 46 miles in about 2 and a half hours. you just get used to it. I will say that I am not looking forward to the 75 minute run I have planned for tomorrow morning. Yuck.

For riding longer I would definatly pick up some bike shorts. The $30 pair I got from Performance bike 3 years ago still work great. No need to get fancy when starting out, but they are well worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                            For even an Olympic I have never used tri shorts. Just some compression shorts and throw some other shorts on top. I am just too cheap. Having said that, I am going to buy some tri shorts for my 1/2 ironman in August. I just can't see riding 56 miles without any padding at all.

I was where you are a couple of years ago. A 45 minute bike ride was long. This morning I did 46 miles in about 2 and a half hours. you just get used to it. I will say that I am not looking forward to the 75 minute run I have planned for tomorrow morning. Yuck.

For riding longer I would definatly pick up some bike shorts. The $30 pair I got from Performance bike 3 years ago still work great. No need to get fancy when starting out, but they are well worth it.
                            Thanks for the tip. Like you - I tend to just go with the compression shorts with some shorts over the top. I went for about an hour this morning without any padding, with no complaints. But looking at my training schedule I've got a 2 hour ride coming up that I think I'll want something for. I think I'll pick some bike shorts up before I have to ride too much and then go without them for the tri.

My plan is to be done riding within 70 minutes at the very most on race day, and I think I can take that. I'd rather be a little uncomfortable at the end of the ride rather than run with a pad between my legs.

Comment

I took some time off this morning so I could stretch my legs and soak up some of this incredible weather that we've been having.

I tried my first brick workout since 2000 when I did a couple of short triathlons. Today I did 48+ miles on the bike on a fairly tough course with lots of rollers and some decent climbs.

When I got home, my dog was ticked that I didn't take him. So I strapped on my running shoes and ran out the door for a quick 2 mile run. What a strange feeling to try to run after killing the legs on the bike. It took me a good mile or so before my stride felt somewhat normal. I think part of the problem was that it felt like I couldn't fully extend my legs during push-off because of tight hip flexors due to being hunched over the bike for so long.

Is that something that anyone else feels or do you triathletes just get over it after doing those workouts several times.

Comment

Working...
                              X