Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: The official triathlon thread

Forgot to mention my times:

500M Swim: 9:58 (However I know this is wrong as it's likely closer to 13 minutes. One guy I know had his Garmin with him and his "official" time was about 3 minutes off of his Garmin time).
    T1: 2:34
    14.1 mile Bike: 48:39 and 17.3mph
    T2: 2:22
    2.1 mile Run: 18:23 and 8:45 min/mile
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Quote Originally Posted by Pheidippides View Post
    That ice bath was awesome. I was way overheated during the run (I walked more than my fair share - no shame in it) and spent a lot of time cooling down in that plastic tub.

Your swim sounded a lot like my first tri swim, including the delirium on the way to the bike. It gets better each time.

FYI, they screwed up the timing for the sprint athletes - you need to add 4 minutes to your swim time and overall time to get the right timing. Doesn't affect the other legs or your overall ranking.

We're also going to do the CB&I tri next May. You want to join up for that one too?
    I figured the swim times were messed up. I'm in for the CB&I tri as long as it doesn't conflict with anything else. It's near my home, which is good.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Nice write up Moliere.

I'm registered for a sprint tri on Labor Day. Not sure I would do it myself, but my son wanted to try one, so I signed up to do it together. It is a pool swim - which will be good for him. Reading your write up just reminds me of more stuff I need to go over with him regarding transitions areas, the swim, etc.

Funny how you know you'll be doing another - because you know you can do better. That was my hook too.

Great job. Sounds like you had a great time.

Nice race report, Moliere.

Reading your swimming story sounds very familiar to most triathletes after their first open water swim. I've got a picture somewhere from my first tri in Iowa City. I was totally exhausted after the 800m swim, even being consigned to doing the side stroke for a good part of it, I was that tired. As soon as my feet hit solid ground I started walking in, even though walking was much slower than a couple of extra swim strokes would have been. I had no energy and running out of the water was out of the question. My wife took a picture of me in waist deep water, walking toward the shore with both of my hands spread out over the water with only a finger or two breaking the surface. It was straight out of a Victorias Secret catalog. No wonder why she had the camera clicking. Rowr!!!
    "The spirit of contention is SO non-fabulous."
    ---W.H. Pugmire

Quote Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
    Nice race report, Moliere.

Reading your swimming story sounds very familiar to most triathletes after their first open water swim. I've got a picture somewhere from my first tri in Iowa City. I was totally exhausted after the 800m swim, even being consigned to doing the side stroke for a good part of it, I was that tired. As soon as my feet hit solid ground I started walking in, even though walking was much slower than a couple of extra swim strokes would have been. I had no energy and running out of the water was out of the question. My wife took a picture of me in waist deep water, walking toward the shore with both of my hands spread out over the water with only a finger or two breaking the surface. It was straight out of a Victorias Secret catalog. No wonder why she had the camera clicking. Rowr!!!
    There's a lot more to mention, most of it uninteresting, but I will mention that at around the 250 or 300 meter mark of the swim I found myself drafting behind someone. I knew this because I could feel my stroke was easier compared to my movement but also because I could hear the person stroking in front of me. I would have stayed with him and drafted for quite a bit longer, but I had zero visibility. I couldn't even see my arms in the water let alone see this guy. I only got 15-20 seconds of drafting but it was enough to make me realize there is some benefit to it. I'd love to do a swim in a lake that I can actually see for a bit under the water as that would have helped as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    There's a lot more to mention, most of it uninteresting, but I will mention that at around the 250 or 300 meter mark of the swim I found myself drafting behind someone. I knew this because I could feel my stroke was easier compared to my movement but also because I could hear the person stroking in front of me. I would have stayed with him and drafted for quite a bit longer, but I had zero visibility. I couldn't even see my arms in the water let alone see this guy. I only got 15-20 seconds of drafting but it was enough to make me realize there is some benefit to it. I'd love to do a swim in a lake that I can actually see for a bit under the water as that would have helped as well.
    The secret my swim time - beat last year by over 5 minutes - was that I drafted behind a guy for about 500m. That, and I put a heluva lot of work into my stroke. Plus I started on the line this time and didnt hang back.

For those interested, my times were as follows:

1500m swim - 30:09, sixth in age group.
    T1 - 1:27, first in age group.
    Bike 28.8m - 1:12:58, 23mph avg, first in age group.
    T2 - 1:23, first in age group
    Run 6.2m - 57:35, 9:17 avg, eight in age group.

As you can see, the run was a disaster. I ran the first two at 7:50 or so, and then fell apart. Last year I did the run in almost 10 minutes faster - if I could have duplicated that I would have taken second. Oh well. It's not often you have a crappy run and still place. The field was pretty weak this year in my division.
    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Way to go, fellas. It sounds like it was a fun race.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

.........................__0.............0
    ...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
    .....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...

I'm belatedly finalizing my race calendar for 2014. Is there any interest in an unofficial CUF tri event? Someone here (BigPiney?) said late summer/early fall is best. I'm looking at a sprint tri at Camp Pendleton near San Diego at the beginning of August (link), an Olympic distance race in Malibu in the middle of September that is quickly filling (link) and I could probably be talked into the Silverman 70.3 at the beginning of October (link) if there were sufficient interest. I'd also be up for something in NorCal, Nevada, Arizona or Utah, but I'm not as familiar with the races in those areas. Also, no Ironman distance for me until at least next year.

Anyway, it would be fun to get out there with some of you if schedules permit.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

.........................__0.............0
    ...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
    .....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...