The official triathlon thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    Kudos, RCV. If I can simply grab an innertube and float down the Snake, this might be a Tri I can handle. What's the terrain like for the ride and run?
    Both the run and bike are pretty flat. If someone is looking for a fast tri I think this is the one.

Comment

• Very cool RC!
      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
        I did my second tri ever yesterday. Burley holds the Spudman tri and it's a big one. This is the first one since the new knee and I wanted to get a feel for it and see what it would take to do well next year. The swim is fast since it goes down the Snake River. I had borrowed a wetsuit and fifty yards into the swim I couldn't breathe because the suit was to tight. I went over to shore and was able to pull it down to my waist. I ended up with a 40 minute swim when I was shooting for 20. We started in the last wave of swimmers so when we started the bike there were thousands of cyclists in front of us. I was able to get into a nice little rhythm around 21 mph and just started passing cyclist after cyclist. My bike lasted 1:10 and that's right around where I thought I would be. The run was a different story, I was totally unprepared for it and it showed. A bunch of those people I passed on the bike got me back on the run. 1:15 for a 10K is terrible. I was hoping for right around an hour. My total time was 3:19, next year I would like to really target this and be right around 2:50. It was fun and I learned a lot. HFNW is in for next year, come join us.
        I was in Burley as well. I didn't compete, as I was just there for moral support for my brother and a couple of friends. My brother is trying to talk me into a little competition next year. I feel confident I could hang with him on the swim and beat him on the bike, but he is so much of a faster runner that I would have a lot of work to do to have a chance. He's my younger brother, so I can't let him win.

I would have kept my eye out for you if I would have known you were there, too.
        When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party. --Tuck Pendleton

Comment

I did my second tri ever yesterday. Burley holds the Spudman tri and it's a big one. This is the first one since the new knee and I wanted to get a feel for it and see what it would take to do well next year. The swim is fast since it goes down the Snake River. I had borrowed a wetsuit and fifty yards into the swim I couldn't breathe because the suit was to tight. I went over to shore and was able to pull it down to my waist. I ended up with a 40 minute swim when I was shooting for 20. We started in the last wave of swimmers so when we started the bike there were thousands of cyclists in front of us. I was able to get into a nice little rhythm around 21 mph and just started passing cyclist after cyclist. My bike lasted 1:10 and that's right around where I thought I would be. The run was a different story, I was totally unprepared for it and it showed. A bunch of those people I passed on the bike got me back on the run. 1:15 for a 10K is terrible. I was hoping for right around an hour. My total time was 3:19, next year I would like to really target this and be right around 2:50. It was fun and I learned a lot. HFNW is in for next year, come join us.
          This weekend was my 5th spudman - wish I'd known you were up there, I might've met one of my online imaginary friends for the first time! We've been camping down by the river for the past 3-4 years.

I've had enough other things going on, and this was the only race I registered for this year, to the point that I haven't done as much training as normal. So Saturday was my longest bike and run of the year so far. Lame, I know. I've been holding off on running due to the plantar faciitis, so this was actually my first run since February of any distance at all.

I figured I'd already bought the t-shirt, may as well go as far as I can.

I was in that last group as well. On the one hand, it would be nice to start earlier and get done earlier while it's still cooler. On the other hand, it is kind of fun catching and passing people from prior groups on the bike. Usually I can get quite a few kills on the run too - but not this year.

I think I ended up finishing around 2:50-2:55. Not my fastest, but nice to finish!

I agree with your assessment - nice down river swim. Get a wetsuit (that fits - Ha!) and you'll find you're not alone if you decide to just kind of float down with a little breast stroke now and then. The bike and run are about as flat as you'd hope for - with just a few rollers at the end of the bike.

Nice job, RC - once you got the wetsuit figured out it looks like the rest went smoothly.

Comment

• I too was in the Burley area (Declo) for my wife's family reunion and had to alter my route to the river due to the spudman.

Comment

• Nice job, fellas. That sounds like a fun one.
              "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                This weekend was my 5th spudman - wish I'd known you were up there, I might've met one of my online imaginary friends for the first time! We've been camping down by the river for the past 3-4 years.

I've had enough other things going on, and this was the only race I registered for this year, to the point that I haven't done as much training as normal. So Saturday was my longest bike and run of the year so far. Lame, I know. I've been holding off on running due to the plantar faciitis, so this was actually my first run since February of any distance at all.

I figured I'd already bought the t-shirt, may as well go as far as I can.

I was in that last group as well. On the one hand, it would be nice to start earlier and get done earlier while it's still cooler. On the other hand, it is kind of fun catching and passing people from prior groups on the bike. Usually I can get quite a few kills on the run too - but not this year.

I think I ended up finishing around 2:50-2:55. Not my fastest, but nice to finish!

I agree with your assessment - nice down river swim. Get a wetsuit (that fits - Ha!) and you'll find you're not alone if you decide to just kind of float down with a little breast stroke now and then. The bike and run are about as flat as you'd hope for - with just a few rollers at the end of the bike.

Nice job, RC - once you got the wetsuit figured out it looks like the rest went smoothly.
                Nice going Eddie. I've been bummed about my swim time but I think I've got it figured out. The 55-59 year olds were to start in wave 6 but they gave me a purple cap which was wave 7. I thought that maybe they had switched my group around and didn't really question it. Yesterday I'm checking times and they had me had 41 minutes in the water and the next slowest time was 32 minutes. It took me about 1 minute to get my wet suit problem figured out and also this one guy I swim with and lap about every five laps had a 20 minute time so I know I had to be faster than 41 minutes. I had the fifth fastest time in my group on the bike and I did it without tri bars so I'll have to get some next year. I need to force myself to run this year even though I find no pleasure in running. I've got something to work toward for next year now.

Comment

Nice going Eddie. I've been bummed about my swim time but I think I've got it figured out. The 55-59 year olds were to start in wave 6 but they gave me a purple cap which was wave 7. I thought that maybe they had switched my group around and didn't really question it. Yesterday I'm checking times and they had me had 41 minutes in the water and the next slowest time was 32 minutes. It took me about 1 minute to get my wet suit problem figured out and also this one guy I swim with and lap about every five laps had a 20 minute time so I know I had to be faster than 41 minutes. I had the fifth fastest time in my group on the bike and I did it without tri bars so I'll have to get some next year. I need to force myself to run this year even though I find no pleasure in running. I've got something to work toward for next year now.
                  40 min swim sounded like a long time.

Last year they happened to mention that they had timed the float, and if you did no swimming at all but just floated to the end you would finish in 35 minutes. Yet they have some people who take longer than that every year.

I tend to hit 21-25 min in the swim, but then I like to zig zag quite a bit. And I only hit the water to train 3-4 times prior to the race. I figure as long as I make sure I can swim for 30 minutes straight, I've got the swim. Granted, if I wanted to be competitive and hit the podium I would need to train a little more than that. But even then, it's much more about the bike and run.

Comment

• Wait... he was drafting?
                    http://tommyrivs.com/2015/07/riding-...-south-dakota/
                    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

• Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                      This changes everything.
                      Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

I'm sure he won't care if you file a protest to have a 4 minute time penalty assessed.
                        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

I went through the pictures but there's no way I'm reading that. Do you think we're all lawyers? What's the claim?
                          I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                            I'm sure he won't care if you file a protest to have a 4 minute time penalty assessed.
                            Ha, good point. Still completed.
                            At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                            -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

• Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
                              I went through the pictures but there's no way I'm reading that. Do you think we're all lawyers? What's the claim?
                              No claim. This article was written by a fan. Just pretty clear from the article (and discussions of the peloton) that he was.
                              -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

• Fox News picked it up

http://video.foxnews.com/v/438099422...#sp=show-clips

Interesting read on the event

“Mississippi [Day 19] was the toughest day for us,” said wife Sunny Lawrence. “He had crashed on the bike the day before, and his hip was really swollen. James started cramping badly on the swim—it took him two and a half hours. When he got out of the water, he asked for an IV and fell asleep while they were administering it. It took us 20 minutes just to wake him up, and then he got on the bike, where his hip became even more swollen. There was a big storm coming in, he was dehydrated, and he was hurting so badly. His coach told him to protect the injury by running on the elliptical. We didn’t know until after he finished, but some people were outraged he did that. The emotional stress of what those people were saying about him, on top of the physical, made that day so hard.”

Lawrence currently holds the Guinness World Record for most Ironman races completed in one year (30 in 2012). Though some predicted this new effort would set a Guinness World Record for most consecutive iron-distance triathlons, any official attempt was nullified in Mississippi with what Lawrence’s crew now jokingly calls “Ellipticalgate.” Inclement weather also forced Lawrence indoors for several days, where the bike distance was recorded on a bike trainer instead of on the road, and the run completed on treadmills.

Read more at http://triathlon.competitor.com/2015...1qcCSlQXAcC.99
                                http://triathlon.competitor.com/2015...50-days_119645

Comment

Working...
                                X