Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: The official triathlon thread

Well, it's Ironman time again. Checked in this morning and have the nifty arm band to prove it. This year I have no clue how I will do - training has been lackluster, as I peaked at 15 hours/week due to my Achilles thing. On the other hand, I do think I over trained last year, and I'm much, much better on the bike than last year. So who knows?

Water looks like it will be wetsuit legal. I'm wearing one if it's wetsuit optional, even, since I suck at swimming.

I am majorly pissed at my kids dance teacher, who promised not to schedule the major recital on the Ironman race day and then did anyway even though I gave her the date seven months ago. So now my family has to make hard choices and may not even be there at all. Seriously, f*&# her.

My main goal is to not repeat the 8:30 marathon I had last year and do better than my 15 hour plus finish. I have an outside chance at going sub 12. My half earlier this year was 5:17, which ain't bad. 1:25 on the swim, 5:45 on the bike (slower than last year) and 4:30 on the run, with 7 minute transitions, ought to do it. That's if I have a great day, though. Something around 13 would make me happy too.

Bib number available upon request for people who want to track.
    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Pheidippides View Post
    Well, it's Ironman time again. Checked in this morning and have the nifty arm band to prove it. This year I have no clue how I will do - training has been lackluster, as I peaked at 15 hours/week due to my Achilles thing. On the other hand, I do think I over trained last year, and I'm much, much better on the bike than last year. So who knows?

Water looks like it will be wetsuit legal. I'm wearing one if it's wetsuit optional, even, since I suck at swimming.

I am majorly pissed at my kids dance teacher, who promised not to schedule the major recital on the Ironman race day and then did anyway even though I gave her the date seven months ago. So now my family has to make hard choices and may not even be there at all. Seriously, f*&# her.

My main goal is to not repeat the 8:30 marathon I had last year and do better than my 15 hour plus finish. I have an outside chance at going sub 12. My half earlier this year was 5:17, which ain't bad. 1:25 on the swim, 5:45 on the bike (slower than last year) and 4:30 on the run, with 7 minute transitions, ought to do it. That's if I have a great day, though. Something around 13 would make me happy too.

Good luck!
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Seems a little unrealistic to expect the dance teacher to schedule the biggest recital of the year around one family's plans, right? I guess she's guilty of making a stupid promise that there was a very good chance she wouldn't be able to keep.

Otherwise, thanks for sharing and I'll be pulling for your sub-12 hour time. Good luck.

Not when she promised to do it. Usually I would agree. But she is - or at least was - a personal friend and said she'd do that. You'd think 7 months - well before she's made any reservations or plans - would be enough lead time. I'm mostly mad because my family won't be there except maybe possibly at the end. I had a rather angry and profane rant about it privately this morning because I'm frustrated and so is the rest of the family. So it's on the mind.

Honestly, I'm just going to try to take it easy this time around. No pushing until the last 10k.

I think that's a good move. Do you think you overcooked at all on the bike last year? I remember the bike time seemed fast relative to the other legs.

I hope it's a great day on the course. Best of luck.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

.........................__0.............0
    ...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
    .....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Public View Post
    I think that's a good move. Do you think you overcooked at all on the bike last year? I remember the bike time seemed fast relative to the other legs.

I hope it's a great day on the course. Best of luck.
    In retrospect, absolutely for those conditions. I held back on the bike but not enough for such a hot and humid day, and I didn't drink nearly enough. Race day conditions look to be better this year - a bit windier, but not much.

In retrospect, absolutely for those conditions. I held back on the bike but not enough for such a hot and humid day, and I didn't drink nearly enough. Race day conditions look to be better this year - a bit windier, but not much.
    Current wind predictions show winds from the south picking up in the early afternoon. Hopefully that isn't the case as you'd end up with no/little tailwind as you ride north and an increased headwind as you ride back. Usually in that area you have a decent amount of trees to block some of the wind, but you can also get a sort of tunnel effect that can increase the intensity if the road/wind line up just right.

Temps look to be low of 59 and high of 82 that day, which should be good for the race. Last year the low was 73 with a high of 91. Just keep to your nutrition plan and don't push it much until the end and you'll be fine. With any luck I might come up to see some of the racing and I'll keep an eye out for you.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    Current wind predictions show winds from the south picking up in the early afternoon. Hopefully that isn't the case as you'd end up with no/little tailwind as you ride north and an increased headwind as you ride back. Usually in that area you have a decent amount of trees to block some of the wind, but you can also get a sort of tunnel effect that can increase the intensity if the road/wind line up just right.

Temps look to be low of 59 and high of 82 that day, which should be good for the race. Last year the low was 73 with a high of 91. Just keep to your nutrition plan and don't push it much until the end and you'll be fine. With any luck I might come up to see some of the racing and I'll keep an eye out for you.
    No recital today?
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

We should have a decent headwind for about 40 miles coming back but I'm not too worried about it - I am affected much less by headwind with the aero helmet and super deep wheels (Zipp 808s this time, and I even got a power meter on the rear hub). Plus the backside is downhill for a lot of the time.

If the swim is wetsuit legal - which it looks to be - I'll be able to swim as much as 10 minutes faster with less effort, which will in turn take even more pressure off of the bike.

It's kinda fun to be the guy who has done one now. All sorts of people were asking me questions when we checked in, as though I know what I'm doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    No recital today?
    Even if it did have a recital today I doubt it would affect my ability to watch the IMTX on Saturday.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Even if it did have a recital today I doubt it would affect my ability to watch the IMTX on Saturday.
    Good point. As usual, my smartass comment blows up in my face.
    - Goatnapper'96

Strikes and Gutters chrisrenrut's Avatar

I'm full of questions, as my first Olympic triathlon approaches.

For those who have done the Spudman, what would you say is the equivalent distance in a pool for the swim? With it being current aided, is swimming the 1500 meters down river about the same as 1200 meters in a pool?

Has anyone done the Green River, which is also current aided? I can't find any info on the expected water temperature. I'm sure it is wetsuit legal, but not sure if it is cold enough to need one.

Does anyone do any open water training swims in Utah? I'm trying to find some lakes or resevoirs that have relatively clear and warm water to do some training in. Sounds like Blackridge Reservoir is out, sad situation for this mans family. http://www.ksl.com/?sid=29947549&nid...s_cid=toppick1

I'v considered getting a swim tow bouy for some open water training. Anyone used one of these? http://www.ishof.org/safety/ssd.htm

What makes an Ironman wetsuit legal or not?

Quote Originally Posted by scottie View Post
    What makes an Ironman wetsuit legal or not?
    Water temperature
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    Water temperature
    Yup. 76.1 and below and you can use one. Between 76.1 and 83.8 they let you use one but you have to start 10 minutes late and you aren't eligible for awards. 83.8 and above and no wetsuits permitted. When people talk about being legal, they are talking about the 76.1 number.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    I'm full of questions, as my first Olympic triathlon approaches.

For those who have done the Spudman, what would you say is the equivalent distance in a pool for the swim? With it being current aided, is swimming the 1500 meters down river about the same as 1200 meters in a pool?

Has anyone done the Green River, which is also current aided? I can't find any info on the expected water temperature. I'm sure it is wetsuit legal, but not sure if it is cold enough to need one.

Does anyone do any open water training swims in Utah? I'm trying to find some lakes or resevoirs that have relatively clear and warm water to do some training in. Sounds like Blackridge Reservoir is out, sad situation for this mans family. http://www.ksl.com/?sid=29947549&nid...s_cid=toppick1

I'v considered getting a swim tow bouy for some open water training. Anyone used one of these? http://www.ishof.org/safety/ssd.htm
    This will be my fourth time doing spudman. It's a LOT of fun, with such a huge range of fitness levels that you should be able to feel pretty good about yourself no matter how you're doing.

To be honest, I'm not sure what the equivalent distance is in a pool. I feel like I'm a pretty average swimmer and finished last year in about 21 minutes. When I say average - I didn't hit the pool more than a dozen times leading up to the race. I just wanted to make sure I still had my stroke down and had the endurance to swim for 30 minutes straight - I wasn't the fastest but was fast enough. A lot of people don't do much swimming prep for this one because they know they are going down current and will have help, so if you swim well you'll be a rockstar. If you have any swimming ability at all, you'll be done in 20-25 minutes depending on the current.

The first time I did this I hadn't done any open water swimming. Seriously - straight from the pool to the river. The biggest issue for me (which continues to be a HUGE issue for me) is swimming in a straight line. I'm most comfortable breathing under my right arm, but you want to stay closer to the shore to your left - so I tend to end up out on the wrong side of the river. Anyway - if you breath under your left arm your sighting will be MUCH better off.

I still don't practice open water, and don't think it has harmed me much. The pool I swim in has a lazy river attached - when the old people aren't walking in it I like to swim upstream just to get used to not having a wall to kick off every few strokes. When I can't do that, sometimes I'll take the turns without really kicking off the wall just to simulate not having it there.

I've used a wetsuit twice, but didn't last year. I'm not sure it had a huge effect on my speed - I placed about the same with as without. But if you aren't sure about it, the extra buoyancy can give peace of mind. Because it's a downstream swim, it can't be a sanctioned event - so no one cares about temperature when deciding to wear a wetsuit or not (unless the rules change this year.)

If you have any questions about spudman - give me a shout.

Okay, I bought a road bike this morning. It's a used origin 8. I have no clue if it's a good deal, but it was $500 cheaper than the new bike I was considering, and the shop owner said it was the most bang for my buck.

Training for my first sprint begins this afternoon.
    "That John Denver is full of [it] man"

Quote Originally Posted by Green Monstah View Post
    Okay, I bought a road bike this morning. It's a used origin 8. I have no clue if it's a good deal, but it was $500 cheaper than the new bike I was considering, and the shop owner said it was the most bang for my buck.

Training for my first sprint begins this afternoon.
    I'm curious to know what model you bought. I go to the Origin8.bike website, and all they have are folding bikes, a fat tire fixie, and some urban fixies. I don't see any road bikes there.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker View Post
    I'm curious to know what model you bought. I go to the Origin8.bike website, and all they have are folding bikes, a fat tire fixie, and some urban fixies. I don't see any road bikes there.
    Hmmmm....I'll have to look at the receipt, but it looks as if I've either been defrauded or they have left the road bike business.

Hmmmm....I'll have to look at the receipt, but it looks as if I've either been defrauded or they have left the road bike business.
    Lol.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

Model is adrenaline. Don't see it on their website. Discontinued in 2013.
    Last edited by Green Monstah; 06-02-2014 at 05:37 PM.

Model is adrenaline. Don't see it on their website. Discontinued in 2013.
    Gotcha. Looking a bit more, there's a nice picture & review here and picture of a frameset here. Looks like an aluminum frame with carbon fork. I like the look of both. Seems like it should be a pretty nice bike if it has good wheels and gruppo.

Gotcha. Looking a bit more, there's a nice picture & review here and picture of a frameset here. Looks like an aluminum frame with carbon fork. I like the look of both. Seems like it should be a pretty nice bike if it has good wheels and gruppo.
    It does not have a good gruppo. Any suggestions on a solid set to buy?

It does not have a good gruppo. Any suggestions on a solid set to buy?
    Looks like you asked a similar question in the other thread, and got some good replies. I think the most frustrating thing would be crummy shifting. If your current setup shifts well, stick with it for a little while and see if you really need to change anything. Then you can decide whether to upgrade, and also have a better idea of the type of riding you do. If you ride a lot of hills or mountains, think about a compact crankset (50/34 tooth cranks) instead of a full-size (53/39), and also whether a basic 12-23 cassette is sufficient or if you want to bump up to something like 12-28. I rode Campy on a previous bike, and now ride SRAM Rival with compact cranks and 11-28 cassette, which covers the full spectrum of gear ratios that a full-size does. I know a guy who just got an 11-speed gruppo that goes up to a 32-tooth cog in the back. Granny gear, but he says it's nice if you're going steep.

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

... I now ride SRAM Rival with compact cranks and 11-28 cassette, which covers the full spectrum of gear ratios that a full-size does. I know a guy who just got an 11-speed gruppo that goes up to a 32-tooth cog in the back. Granny gear, but he says it's nice if you're going steep.
    Ditto. There are a few moments in our steep rides when I'd love four more teeth in that final cog (I find myself unconsciously trying to shift to a nonexistent lower gear, and thinking "Crap, that's IT?"). I also occasionally envy those with a triple chain ring, but I'm not yet ready to go full granny.