• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice job, Eddie.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

Great report and nice work, Eddie. I've heard Spudman is a good race. One of these years I'll get up the guts to get back into triathlon training. I'm sure it would be a ton of fun.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
        Awesome, Eddie! Second place without training--nice.
        Maybe I downplayed my training a bit. I've only been swimming once since December, so that part of the no training is true.

But I've been running 3X a week and biking 3X a week (every other day except Sunday) nearly every week since the end of May. I just needed to take in some longer distances - as most of my runs have been 3-4 miles and most of my rides have been 15-20 miles.

Last year I went on a borrowed bike, and upon returning it I was done with biking until this spring. Now that I have my own, I hope to continue biking 2-3 times a week. I figure I could use some work on form and cadence, which could result in some improvements.

I've really enjoyed the tri's I've done. And being in the fat man over 40 group has given me a chance to be competitive.

Comment

My first triathlon is tomorrow and I feel like shit:

http://shodoff.wordpress.com/2012/06...thlon-jitters/
          What's to explain? It's a bunch of people, most of whom you've never met, who are just as likely to be homicidal maniacs as they are to be normal everyday people, with whom you share the minutiae of your everyday life. It's totally normal, and everyone would understand.
          -Teenage Dirtbag

Comment

Mine is tomorrow. Very nervous.

To lighten the mood, look what I found in my Nashbar catalog today. Clearly more than a couple of people know what three wolf moon is.
            Attached Files
            Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

I took the week off from training to recover from the marathon and give myself a bit of reflection time. I got back in the saddle this weekend. I decided I would go for about an hour each on the bike and the run. That amount of time is much less than what I've been doing on the weekends.

I've had a flat tire that I didn't take the time to patch, so I hadn't been on the bike for a few weeks. It felt pretty good. I rode a little over 15 miles and averaged 16.3mph over that distance. I know it's slow compared to the real riders, but for me it was pretty decent.

After the ride, I took five minutes to put my bike back in the garage, change into running shorts and shoes, and get back out on the road. I've never done that before, and I'm glad I've left myself some time to get used to it. It felt really weird.

I wanted to run six miles at my usual training pace of 9:00 or so. However, my legs felt like pogo sticks after getting off the bike. I didn't want to slow my cadence, but I couldn't get my pace slower than 7:50 or so for some reason. I did OK for five of the six miles, and I bonked a bit at mile six. I would have been in big trouble in a half Ironman setting. I spent about 48 minutes on the run.

I'm excited to give this triathlon thing a shot. I have a lot to learn, but that's much of the fun of it. I still have to find a place to swim and get my schedule figured out.

Comment

This weekend, I planned to go for 90 minutes on the bike and 90 minutes for the run. I rode with a friend who had a route planned. He said it would take 90 minutes, but it took 120 minutes instead. It was my first time riding with someone else, and I had a blast. The time goes much faster. We rode for about 29 miles, which is significantly farther than I've ever ridden on the road bike before. I averaged a little over 15mph, but there were a couple of decent (for around here) climbs.

After the ride, I ran nine miles and averaged around an 8:30 min/mile pace. I think I need to do more fueling on the bike; I could feel it a bit toward the end of the run. I may go big-time and get a second water bottle bracket.

I still haven't taken a single lap at a pool yet.

Comment

Joe, what race are you getting ready for?

Did you only have one water bottle for that ride? That is too long for only one bottle. Also trying to eat right near the end of the ride always seemed to work for me in the transition to the run. I tended to carry the energy through. Though I would recommend eating every 30 - 45 minutes throughout and continue that on the run.

Comment

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                    Joe, what race are you getting ready for?

Did you only have one water bottle for that ride? That is too long for only one bottle. Also trying to eat right near the end of the ride always seemed to work for me in the transition to the run. I tended to carry the energy through. Though I would recommend eating every 30 - 45 minutes throughout and continue that on the run.
                    I'm training for the 70.3 in Oceanside this coming March. It looks like maybe you did one in 2010; how was that? I've never competed in a triathlon of any distance before, but I hope to find a sprint or Olympic distance race sometime in the next couple of months to get familiarized with race set-up, transitions, etc.

Yes, I had just the one bottle. It's a pretty big bottle (28 oz.), but I'd like to drink more on a ride of that distance. I'm very new to cycling, though, and I've never had to consider ways to carry water on longer rides before. My friend had two bottle cages - one on the down tube and one on the seat tube (I think that's what they're called?). That looked like a pretty good set-up. I have one on the down tube; that cage came with the bicycle.

For the food, I eat about every 40 to 45 minutes when I run (usually a Hammer gel nowadays). I had one with me on the ride, and I'd planned to have another one right at the end of the 90 minutes we were supposed to ride.

Comment

This was a long week with little sleep, so my goal for this weekend was to maintain the status quo. We biked for a little under 120 minutes. Part of the ride was up a (SoCal hill that they call a) mountain with switchbacks, which was fun. We covered around 24 miles at an average speed of a little under 15mph.

When I got back, I went for a run. I figured I would crash because of the lack of sleep and the fact that I am out of gels and forgot to buy more. I was really happy with the run, though. I went 9 miles at an average pace of 8:17 min/mile. I couldn't have gone any farther than that, though, but I'm hoping for 10 or 11 miles on the run next week as well as my first 30-miler on the bike.

Comment

Well, the last couple of months have been been pretty bad for training. I now have about ten weeks to try and prepare for a 1/2 Ironman. I basically took December off due to work and health matters. To paint the picture, I ran three miles on December 26 and felt maxed out. This wasn't the plan, but that's part of the challenge with these things.

I've tried to ease back in over the last week and a half. That culminated in a ride/run this past Saturday. I rode a bit over 17 miles at around a 15 mph pace (not fast for you guys, but decent for me under the circumstances). I tired () of the many flats I've experienced, so I put in some of the thorn-resistant tubes that are thicker than the regular tubes. I can feel the difference the increased mass makes, but I'm not trying to set any bike records.

I went right from the bike into a ten-mile run. It felt OK, and I averaged a hair under 9 minutes/mile. I'm not as far along as I had hoped after coming off of St. George, but I think I still have a chance to be ready for the race and not fall apart. I still haven't found a pool, but I should be taking care of that this week.

I'll try to post weekly updates in this thread (that I seem to be turning into a blog for the time being) as a way to keep myself motivated. I'm still coming for you, Oceanside.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
                          Well, the last couple of months have been been pretty bad for training. I now have about ten weeks to try and prepare for a 1/2 Ironman. I basically took December off due to work and health matters. To paint the picture, I ran three miles on December 26 and felt maxed out. This wasn't the plan, but that's part of the challenge with these things.

I've tried to ease back in over the last week and a half. That culminated in a ride/run this past Saturday. I rode a bit over 17 miles at around a 15 mph pace (not fast for you guys, but decent for me under the circumstances). I tired () of the many flats I've experienced, so I put in some of the thorn-resistant tubes that are thicker than the regular tubes. I can feel the difference the increased mass makes, but I'm not trying to set any bike records.

I went right from the bike into a ten-mile run. It felt OK, and I averaged a hair under 9 minutes/mile. I'm not as far along as I had hoped after coming off of St. George, but I think I still have a chance to be ready for the race and not fall apart. I still haven't found a pool, but I should be taking care of that this week.

I'll try to post weekly updates in this thread (that I seem to be turning into a blog for the time being) as a way to keep myself motivated. I'm still coming for you, Oceanside.
                          I will be interesting in hearing your thoughts on finishing that half iron. I have a friend who is trying to talk me into doing one up in Burley where they hold the spudman. I think they call it the viking man and understand that the course is different - other side of the river - but I must admit it intrigues me.

Comment

I rode about 25 miles on the bike today at a 15.1 mph average speed. Then I ran about ten miles at a hair under a 9:00 min/mile pace. Some days I just don't have it, and today was one of those days. I gutted it out, but I'm a long way from where I need to be in a couple of months.

Comment

I rode for two hours today, during which time I covered a bit over 28 miles at a 14.1 mph average speed. I'm a novice on an entry-level bike with heavy tubes and a chain in sore need of some oil, so I've decided to not get too worked up about my speed. I felt pretty good overall, but two hours in the seat was a lot. The base of my you-know-what was pretty uncomfortable by the end; I don't know how some of you high-mileage guys do it.

I then ran ten miles at about a 8:30 min/mile pace. My legs were pretty tired by the end, but everything else was OK. It took a bit under 90 minutes. My total exercise time was within 30 minutes of my St. George marathon time. The idea of doubling the bike distance in eight weeks is daunting.

I still haven't been in the pool, but that should change in a week.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
                                I rode for two hours today, during which time I covered a bit over 28 miles at a 14.1 mph average speed. I'm a novice on an entry-level bike with heavy tubes and a chain in sore need of some oil, so I've decided to not get too worked up about my speed. I felt pretty good overall, but two hours in the seat was a lot. The base of my you-know-what was pretty uncomfortable by the end; I don't know how some of you high-mileage guys do it.

I then ran ten miles at about a 8:30 min/mile pace. My legs were pretty tired by the end, but everything else was OK. It took a bit under 90 minutes. My total exercise time was within 30 minutes of my St. George marathon time. The idea of doubling the bike distance in eight weeks is daunting.

I still haven't been in the pool, but that should change in a week.
                                When's your half iron?
                                Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

Working...
                                X