The official triathlon thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
    Last week's Lake Tahoe Ironman event was cancelled the morning of the race due to smoky conditions caused by nearby forest fires. That's a lot of training (and a lot of scratch) to throw away come race day. There isn't much that can be done in those cases, but it still sucks for the racers.
    Did those signed up get any sort of a refund?
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
      Three Clif Bars, as many half bananas they can carry and the satisfaction of knowing that they'll be able to walk the next day.
      I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
        I'm unsure in this particular case, but they generally do not. The costs of a race (permit fees, security/safety, food, medals/shirts, etc.) are paid well in advance of race day and aren't refundable in nature. Some of the bigger race organizers might offer discounted or free slots in an alternate race if space is available.
        "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
          I'm unsure in this particular case, but they generally do not. The costs of a race (permit fees, security/safety, food, medals/shirts, etc.) are paid well in advance of race day and aren't refundable in nature. Some of the bigger race organizers might offer discounted or free slots in an alternate race if space is available.
          I see the race was on the Nevada side of the lake.
          Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• It's cold and dark in my new homestate, so in an effort to avoid packing on my normal 10 pounds in winter, I'm going to train for an indoor triathlon. 10 min swim, 30 min stationary bike, 20 min treadmill run. Set mtmy baseline today.

Swim: 437.5 meters
            Bike: 10.1 miles
            Run: 1.76 miles

By April, I'd like to be at 500/15/2. Shoukd be doable.
            Last edited by Green Monstah; 12-05-2014, 06:33 AM.
            Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Swim: 425 m

Bike: 11.9

Run: 1.89

Disappointed in the swim, but decent progress.

Comment

• 443m/12.6/1.89
                Nice progress on swim and bike, but I was lucky to match last week's run.

Comment

• OK there is no way this guy can do this right? A full Ironman every day for 50 days in a row?

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...50-states.html

Comment

• Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                    OK there is no way this guy can do this right? A full Ironman every day for 50 days in a row?

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...50-states.html
                    I think the impossible task will be finding a 110 mile bike route in Rhode Island or Delaware.

But seriously, that is crazy to even attempt. Even if he's a stellar athlete, he won't complete one in under 10 hours let alone wake up the next morning and do it all over again.
                    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                      I think the impossible task will be finding a 110 mile bike route in Rhode Island or Delaware.

But seriously, that is crazy to even attempt. Even if he's a stellar athlete, he won't complete one in under 10 hours let alone wake up the next morning and do it all over again.
                      Are you saying you think he can't do even two in a row?
                      I'm like LeBron James.
                      -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                        Are you saying you think he can't do even two in a row?
                        Well, maybe 2 in a row. Looks like he's done 30 ironmans in one year, which is incredible. I'm thinking he doesn't get past 21 in this new challenge.
                        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• I wish him well, but doubt he'll even hit ten in a row. I assume once he's in the lower 48, he'll be driven from one state to the next, but that can't be very restful, esp. out west. Can the human body process that large of a caloric intake for weeks on end?

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                            I wish him well, but doubt he'll even hit ten in a row. I assume once he's in the lower 48, he'll be driven from one state to the next, but that can't be very restful, esp. out west. Can the human body process that large of a caloric intake for weeks on end?
                            I doubt it. He's going to have to go way slow to burn fat more than calories, which is going to cut into his travel time. I mean, 12 hours for an Ironman is sort of like the 4 hour marathon mark - it's to be respected - so let's assume he will be spending literally half of his waking time in some sort of exercise pursuit. Insane.
                            Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pheidippides View Post
                              I doubt it. He's going to have to go way slow to burn fat more than calories, which is going to cut into his travel time. I mean, 12 hours for an Ironman is sort of like the 4 hour marathon mark - it's to be respected - so let's assume he will be spending literally half of his waking time in some sort of exercise pursuit. Insane.
                              That's basically how I see it, too. He has to approach it as 50 days of somewhat-low-intensity exercise to have any chance at day-to-day repeatability. The longer he takes, though, the more he cannibalizes his overnight rest/recovery, which will already be impacted by travel. The lack of sufficient recovery will increase his risk of injury, too, but it seems like he'll just run out of gas at some point along the way. Best of luck to the guy, but I give him a <5% chance. That said, I hope he proves me wrong.
                              "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Originally posted by Pheidippides View Post
                                Assuming he sleeps, I would put this number at much higher than half. Insane indeed.
                                When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party. --Tuck Pendleton

Comment

Working...
                                X