Come Follow Me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Come Follow Me

I don't know if there's any interest in this, but of all the changes President Nelson has made, I like the Come Follow Me family study the most. We do it in the morning before the kids leave for seminary, which is not easy. I rolled my eyes at it, but I'm married to the queen of Obedienceville so I didn't have a choice. It really changed our family, and we argue less and enjoy each other more. Non-believers can argue that it's just being together as a family for a time, and maybe it is, but I like the result regardless of the cause. Anyway, this is a place to post your thoughts.

Yesterday was a rough day in our family, but there's no sympathy in Obedienceville, so we read right before bed. What is usually 15 minutes turned into 25, and we went from sad and grumpy to happy and content as my daughter shared some interesting tidbits from her BYU BOM class, and we discussed the futility of trying to prove the BOM true. To me, the power of the Book of Mormon is not in it's words, but the way I'm different if I regularly read it. I almost never read it regularly anymore, so last night served as a refreshing reminder.

I don't mean this to be a testimony thread. Personally, I'm interested in anything interesting that you may want to share. Funk, you're even invited to poke the bear if you feel so inclined.
    sigpic
    "Outlined against a blue, gray
    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
    Grantland Rice, 1924

i too, am a fan of come follow me. but my kids still struggle to give a rat's ass about any of it. oh well, we'll keep plugging along.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Comment

Kids in my primary class use it and like it. I can always tell who is home schooled and/or has faithful parents: they have the lesson aced. But it is always fun to give them an extra doctrinal point, or extra application to life.

Last month we taught the last lesson in Revelation rather than the Christmas lesson, and I learned quite a bit myself. Do you think that Revelations is why Nathaniel Hawthorne gave Hester Prynne a scarlet A, rather than a red, or maroon, or burgundy A?
      Last edited by Katy Lied; 01-02-2020, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Well, I have NOT enjoyed using Come Follow Me to teach five and six year olds. We nearly always had to use other resources, like old primary manuals, to find stories appropriate for the kids. Oh well, somebody else's problem now, since I got a new calling last week.

I guess we'll have to be more active about studying the adult version of it at home now.

Comment

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
          Kids in my primary class use it and like it. I can always tell who is home schooled and/or has faithful parents: they have the lesson aced. But it is always fun to give them an extra doctrinal point, or extra application to life.

Last month we taught the last lesson in Revelation rather than the Christmas lesson, and I learned quite a bit myself. Do you think that Revelations is why Nathaniel Hawthorne gave Hester Prynne a scarlet A, rather than a red, or maroon, or burgundy A?
          I’d have to ask Mr. Hawthorne directly, but I assumed it was a reference to the verses in Isaiah regarding sins being as scarlet.
          τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Originally posted by cowboy View Post
            I'm married to the queen of Obedienceville so I didn't have a choice.
            Same. We were already doing some half-hearted scripture study at home... maybe 5-10 min per night 3 or 4x per week. but now I feel like we replaced 1 hour of Church with probably 2 hours of scripture study per week at home. CFM on Sunday afternoon AND required readings throughout the week in the evenings before bed each night. The NT was tolerable, but the rotation of BoM and DC is going to be dreadful. Ugh.
            You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
            Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
            You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
              Same. We were already doing some half-hearted scripture study at home... maybe 5-10 min per night 3 or 4x per week. but now I feel like we replaced 1 hour of Church with probably 2 hours of scripture study per week at home. CFM on Sunday afternoon AND required readings throughout the week in the evenings before bed each night. The NT was tolerable, but the rotation of BoM and DC is going to be dreadful. Ugh.
              I'm like LeBron James.
              -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                Same. But I will take that trade all day long.
                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
                  Well, I have NOT enjoyed using Come Follow Me to teach five and six year olds. We nearly always had to use other resources, like old primary manuals, to find stories appropriate for the kids. Oh well, somebody else's problem now, since I got a new calling last week.

I guess we'll have to be more active about studying the adult version of it at home now.
                  Isn't Jr Primary class time only 20 minutes?

Comment

Originally posted by wapiti View Post
                    Isn't Jr Primary class time only 20 minutes?

Way better than the year before when it was 55. But still, it was often difficult to teach the whole 25 minutes from what was in Come Follow Me. We didn't want to spend too much time playing games, having treats, coloring, and other stuff like that. Although sometimes we wondered if the kids ever actually learned anything at all.

Comment

Way better than the year before when it was 55. But still, it was often difficult to teach the whole 25 minutes from what was in Come Follow Me. We didn't want to spend too much time playing games, having treats, coloring, and other stuff like that. Although sometimes we wondered if the kids ever actually learned anything at all.
                      That's not a requirement of the calling.
                      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

The Sunbeams don't care about the lessons, which are now about 20 minutes max because of the new 2-hour block. Thankfully most lessons come with a coloring activity that I just copy out of the book and pass out w crayons.
                        "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Personally, I've liked the new program. Neither my wife nor I are royalty in Obedienceville, so we are definitely not eclipsing the weekly hour that we're saving from the church change. When we actually do the Come Follow Me study, though, it helps me to prepare for my subsequent lesson with the youth.
                          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Yesterday I brought a sheet of copper, a set of letter stamps, a stamp block, and a stamping hammer, and all the kids were able to stamp out a few letters and create "The Book of Mormon" on the copper plate. Then we got the copper wet, and dirty, and bent and could still read the text.

Comment

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                              Yesterday I brought a sheet of copper, a set of letter stamps, a stamp block, and a stamping hammer, and all the kids were able to stamp out a few letters and create "The Book of Mormon" on the copper plate. Then we got the copper wet, and dirty, and bent and could still read the text.
                              That is what is known as 'the extra mile.'
                              "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Working...
                              X