Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Repairs

  1. #1
    Bald not naked Pelado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The 208
    Posts
    12,805

    Default Repairs

    My wife's grandfather made this trunk when he was a teenager. The metal connected to the hinge has a break in it. Anyone know what type of metal this would be and/or how to repair it? I'm hoping it doesn't require welding because I can't afford to pay for a welder.

    TIA.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

  2. #2
    Local Character clackamascoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Frog Pond Grange
    Posts
    7,793

    Default

    Seems like a non-essential repair, but it also seems a little strange that that section has fatigued.

    Sounds like a group fund opportunity.

    When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
    -Mid Summer's Night Dream


  3. #3
    Bald not naked Pelado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The 208
    Posts
    12,805

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clackamascoug View Post
    Seems like a non-essential repair, but it also seems a little strange that that section has fatigued.

    Sounds like a group fund opportunity.
    The long, narrow piece that is broken tends to stick up in the air, threatening both to poke someone sitting on the trunk and to snap off entirely. Given the provenance of the trunk, my wife is concerned about further damage. I just don't think that her stated solution - hot glue - would be the best way to correct the problem.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

  4. #4
    it's all a blur mtnbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,564

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    The long, narrow piece that is broken tends to stick up in the air, threatening both to poke someone sitting on the trunk and to snap off entirely. Given the provenance of the trunk, my wife is concerned about further damage. I just don't think that her stated solution - hot glue - would be the best way to correct the problem.
    How thick is it? Can you get away with just soldering it? I would think that the heat from welding would be too much for it, and also threaten to burn the wood.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker View Post
    How thick is it? Can you get away with just soldering it? I would think that the heat from welding would be too much for it, and also threaten to burn the wood.
    That was my first thought as well.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker View Post
    How thick is it? Can you get away with just soldering it?

    This. Otherwise, add a matching rivet to tack down the skinny piece. Pro tip: Do that on both hinges so they still match.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

  7. #7
    Bald not naked Pelado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The 208
    Posts
    12,805

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker View Post
    How thick is it? Can you get away with just soldering it? I would think that the heat from welding would be too much for it, and also threaten to burn the wood.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    That was my first thought as well.
    I haven't measured it, but it's not particularly thick. It's thin enough that it would be pretty easy to snap that narrow strip off by pulling up on it.

    If I were to solder it, would it leave much of a visible seam? I assume the solder would not match the color of the metal, either.

    Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    This. Otherwise, add a matching rivet to tack down the skinny piece. Pro tip: Do that on both hinges so they still match.
    Interesting idea. Would you expect any Home Depot/Lowe's/hardware store to have matching rivets, or would I need to look at some specialty shop?
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

  8. #8
    UofU/BYU mixed marriage Scott R Nelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Meridian, ID
    Posts
    1,166

    Default

    I would use epoxy on that.

  9. #9
    Bald not naked Pelado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The 208
    Posts
    12,805

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
    I would use epoxy on that.
    What type? Similar to my questions on soldering above, would epoxy leave a visible seam? Any color matching possible?
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

  10. #10

    Default

    Gorilla glue underneath, and epoxy the seam. Both come clear. If you are really OCD, find a touchup paint that matches closely and blend it in with a 500-grit sandpaper so the seam doesn't show. I wouldn't take the chance of burning the wood with a solder gun.
    Last edited by cowboy; 12-27-2019 at 06:02 PM.

    "Outlined against a blue, gray
    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
    Grantland Rice, 1924

  11. #11
    Bald not naked Pelado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The 208
    Posts
    12,805

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
    Gorilla glue underneath, and epoxy the seam. Both come clear. If you are really OCD, find a touchup paint that matches closely and blend it in with a 500-grit sandpaper so the seam doesn't show. I wouldn't take the chance of burning the wood with a solder gun.
    When you say gorilla glue underneath, do you mean gluing the narrow piece to the wood below?

    I'm not particularly OCD, but I do want my wife to be happy about the end result.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

  12. #12
    One man.....one pie Moliere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    The Republic of Tejas
    Posts
    22,538

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    her stated solution - hot glue -


    Typical woman response. Hot glue is their duct tape

    I’d us CA glue with some accelerator. Maybe scuff you the underside of the metal so it holds better. Epoxy would work as well but would take a while to cure.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

  13. #13
    Bald not naked Pelado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The 208
    Posts
    12,805

    Default

    Another issue in trying to fix this problem is that I don't see a way to remove the rivets without damaging them or the surrounding materials. So I think any solution has to account for the rivets and metal staying in place.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

  14. #14
    UofU/BYU mixed marriage Scott R Nelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Meridian, ID
    Posts
    1,166

    Default

    Get some epoxy, in whatever color you think will work best, mix it up, apply it to the underside of that strip, push it down and wipe away any that squishes out, put a weight on it to hold it in place (books?) then come back tomorrow. It's fixed.

    You're making this too difficult.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    When you say gorilla glue underneath, do you mean gluing the narrow piece to the wood below?

    I'm not particularly OCD, but I do want my wife to be happy about the end result.
    Yes. As Scott R. Nelson said, epoxy works, too. Just be careful not to lift the metal too far or you'll bend it and put a crease in it. I like gorilla or super glue just because it will be easy to get between the metal and the wood.

    "Outlined against a blue, gray
    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
    Grantland Rice, 1924

  16. #16
    Senior Member Katy Lied's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Center of the Salt Lake Valley
    Posts
    9,099

    Default

    When your husband thinks you are rad because you’ve generously sent him off to golf Wasatch for 7 hours, while you stay home and start the family project of painting the house interior by yourself. But you are really calculating that you can roll all the walls in short order, and then participate in the monthly bug off for Animal Crossing, leaving all the trim work for him.

  17. #17
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    31,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Katy Lied View Post
    When your husband thinks you are rad because you’ve generously sent him off to golf Wasatch for 7 hours, while you stay home and start the family project of painting the house interior by yourself. But you are really calculating that you can roll all the walls in short order, and then participate in the monthly bug off for Animal Crossing, leaving all the trim work for him.
    That's a good trade-off. My wife always screws up the trim work.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  18. #18
    Adventurer Walter Sobchak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    West of House
    Posts
    3,809

    Default

    General contractors that install MDF baseboards in bathrooms should be drawn and quartered.
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
    Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

    Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
    You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    General contractors that install MDF baseboards in bathrooms should be drawn and quartered.
    just seal it you narc
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

  20. #20
    Adventurer Walter Sobchak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    West of House
    Posts
    3,809

    Default

    Pretend you have a teenager. Go to the bathroom where your would-be teenager will shower and pour a gallon of water on the floor, every day, for 2-4 years. Return and report.
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
    Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

    Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
    You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

  21. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    Pretend you have a teenager. Go to the bathroom where your would-be teenager will shower and pour a gallon of water on the floor, every day, for 2-4 years. Return and report.
    yeah pine trim isn't doing any better in that scenario. enjoy pvc?
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •