Brothers and sisters, AlooooHA! Hawaii Bowl Game Day Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by All-American View Post
    Word is that the throw in the dirt was intentional. He saw his guy was getting blown up and it was less risky to just get rid of it.

I think that’s actually right. But he should never have been in that position to begin with.
    In that case, why throw it in the dirt? Just slide to the ground. You aren't getting the first either way, but sliding to the ground actually allows the clock to run 40 seconds. Dumb decision.

Comment

• Then Tuck the ball and run. Two things you can’t do: throw INC or run OOBs. ZW’s decision making is bad over the last two years.
      Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
        Then Tuck the ball and run. Two things you can’t do: throw INC or run OOBs. ZW’s decision making is bad over the last two years.
        Agreed
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post
          I agree. I also think if Grimes calls the same offense for Wilson as he does for Romney we win. Zach has great mobility, but he’s simply not an RPO QB.
          Romney is better at pre snap reads. He know where the ball is going, and has a knack for checking down when necessary, and preserving third and manageable. Zach is better is almost every conceivable measurable, but not mentally. We don’t beat BSU or USU with ZW as QB.

This offseason, I hope he heals, and grows his game Intelligence.
          Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
            Then Tuck the ball and run. Two things you can’t do: throw INC or run OOBs. ZW’s decision making is bad over the last two years.
            Here is the best I can figure. And I’m trying to be charitable.

At that point, there are about two minutes left on the clock. If you convert the game is over. If you don’t, Hawaii either scores to take the lead or it gives you back the ball. And given the way it’s offense is built, time really isn’t much of a problem for them. One minute thirty is more than enough time. So if they ARE getting the all back, burning thirty seconds really doesn’t help you that much; better to keep the time on the clock to give your guys a chance if Hawaii scores. Not more than two minutes, because if you convert with that much on the clock you win. But the target is to have 2:00 on the clock after the play is over, giving you the best chance if you don’t convert.

And that’s basically how it played out. We don’t convert. With two minutes left, Hawaii needed less than one to punch it in. And we had all the time we needed, truly, to make one last run for it. So in that was the intention it sorta kinda worked.

Again, that’s me trying to be charitable. In reality I’m not fooling anyone, least of all myself. The play call was awful. At that spot you don’t get cute playing with contingencies and trying to secure the next best position if you don’t succeed. Go succeed. You have two yards to go and two yards to get them. Ram it up the middle. If you gain anything but you’re still short, do it again—just like Boise State. Play the high percentage call. Instead, we do THAT.

ESPN’s game tracker gives BYU an 86% chance of winning before the 3rd and 2 play. I think that is about right. 4 times out of 5 in that situation we win the game. Somehow everybody did just enough to lose the game.

I’m just sick about it.
            τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• I'm not one to blame the refs, but I just can't shake the suspiciousness of the goal line fumble and the field goal calls. Maybe my bias is just distorting this.

Comment

• The FG I can believe was a funky camera angle along with lack of depth perception of when the kick hooked back in.

The goal line fumble I can't see how Zach didn't break the plane before the ball came out. He started his jump at the one. The Hawaii defender who knocked the ball loose was a half yard into the endzone with a forward lean and stepping to his left. The defender didn't make contact until Zach was in the air fully extended coming down. Also defender made hit Zach right in Zach's chest. Even if he hits his a foot outside the endzone Zach's extended arm would have broken the plane. Zach lands with his whole upper body in the endzone.

All that doesn't matter if we can pick up two yards at the end.

Comment

• Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
                  The FG I can believe was a funky camera angle along with lack of depth perception of when the kick hooked back in.

The goal line fumble I can't see how Zach didn't break the plane before the ball came out. He started his jump at the one. The Hawaii defender who knocked the ball loose was a half yard into the endzone with a forward lean and stepping to his left. The defender didn't make contact until Zach was in the air fully extended coming down. Also defender made hit Zach right in Zach's chest. Even if he hits his a foot outside the endzone Zach's extended arm would have broken the plane. Zach lands with his whole upper body in the endzone.

All that doesn't matter if we can pick up two yards at the end.
                  That was absolutely a touchdown. I'm pissed at the covering official for taking the easy way out and swallowing his whistle and I'm pissed that apparently there was no effing camera on the goal line. Why TF do we have replay if we arent going to put a camera on the most important line on the field?

Comment

• Originally posted by USUC View Post
                    I'm not one to blame the refs, but I just can't shake the suspiciousness of the goal line fumble and the field goal calls. Maybe my bias is just distorting this.
                    definitely distorted by your bias. with the angles we had, on replay we couldn't see if zw broke the plane. my gut says he broke it, but it looked like a fumble in real time, hence the call on the field - with the call on the field being fumble, there was simply no way they could overturn.

on the FG, the refs pretty much don't make mistakes there. they are as accurate with those calls as any calls they make.
                    Last edited by smokymountainrain; 12-26-2019, 06:51 AM.
                    I'm like LeBron James.
                    -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                      That was absolutely a touchdown. I'm pissed at the covering official for taking the easy way out and swallowing his whistle and I'm pissed that apparently there was no effing camera on the goal line. Why TF do we have replay if we arent going to put a camera on the most important line on the field?
                      that's the real issue.
                      I'm like LeBron James.
                      -mpfunk

Comment

• What shitshow Kalani is running. It makes me sick to think we gave him 4 more years after the mediocre (I am being generous here) results he has yielded. I will still be a fan of the BYU program but my interest is much moving more into the category of BYU baseball and mens volleyball. Meaning, I am interested if they do well, but the second they start sucking, which of course will be game 1 for the cougs in 2020 because we play the Utes, my interest hovers right around zero.

Some may view this as me being a bad fan, but the fact of the matter is, traveling to a couple away games a year and setting a block of time on valuable Saturday times to watch the crap that Kalani is putting on display is an incredible waste of valuable time and resources. I just refuse to support, with my time and money, this type of program.

Comment

• Just a few thoughts on the game:

1) Lady luck smiled on Hawaii. The critical bounces and calls went their way. Turnover battle 3-0 but Hawaii had two shoulda-been turnovers that weren't. BYU had one that should have been 7 points. BYU beats Hawaii 8 or 9 times out of 10.

2) As the first half unfolded I was frustrated that we were playing our 3rd best running back and maybe our 3rd best QB. Glad we switched from Katoa in the 4th quarter, but Algiers still didn't get enough carries. I think the jury is still out on the QB position. Wilson had a pretty good game, but had the three turnovers and a few other costly errors. We saw what Romney did against comparable defenses to Hawaii. And I'd really like to see what Hall can do.

3) The game deciding possession. 1st and 10 on our own 6. 4:07 to go. Hawaii has 2 timeouts. 1st down: incomplete pass (run there and 40 seconds burn). 2nd and 3rd down: run, run (1st down). 2:33 to go: 1st down: run for 1 yd, UH timeout. 2nd down: run for 7 yds, UH final timeout. 3rd down: incomplete pass. 2:01 to go. Turn those two incomplete passes in that possession into runs for no gain and UH gets the ball back with about 50 seconds left. Obviously, the game isn't over with 50 seconds left, but BYU's win probability is a lot higher. Turn the second incompletion into a run for 2 yards and BYU wins. It's inexcusable to have stopped the clock twice in a game where the running game was working.

Summary: Credit Hawaii, blame lady luck, but in crunch time BYU controlled its destiny and frittered it away by going away from Clock Control 101.

Comment

• Originally posted by wapiti View Post
                            3) The game deciding possession. 1st and 10 on our own 6. 4:07 to go. Hawaii has 2 timeouts. 1st down: incomplete pass (run there and 40 seconds burn). 2nd and 3rd down: run, run (1st down). 2:33 to go: 1st down: run for 1 yd, UH timeout. 2nd down: run for 7 yds, UH final timeout. 3rd down: incomplete pass. 2:01 to go. Turn those two incomplete passes in that possession into runs for no gain and UH gets the ball back with about 50 seconds left. Obviously, the game isn't over with 50 seconds left, but BYU's win probability is a lot higher. Turn the second incompletion into a run for 2 yards and BYU wins. It's inexcusable to have stopped the clock twice in a game where the running game was working.
                            Bingo. What were they thinking?
                            Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                              definitely distorted by your bias. with the angles we had, on replay we couldn't see if zw broke the plane. my gut says he broke it, but it looked like a fumble in real time, hence the call on the field - with the call on the field being fumble, there was simply no way they could overturn.

on the FG, the refs pretty much don't make mistakes there. they are as accurate with those calls as any calls they make.
                              The way replay is done in college football is ruining the game. It’s not just the Byu game but the other bowl games I’ve seen. The refs have a tendency to let plays play out now since they can go back and review to get it right. The problem with that is the threshold to overturn is too high to apply that strategy.

The NFL replay policy is best where coaches can challenge but it’s on the refs to get it right the first time.
                              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Working...
                              X