Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Mountain West TV rights deal with Fox, CBS

FOX WINS MOUNTAIN WEST RIGHTS FROM ESPN

Fox Sports has reached an agreement with the Mountain West to carry a package of the conference’s football and basketball games that formerly was held by ESPN. Separately, CBS Sports Network renewed its package of MWC games. My colleague Michael Smith and I are told that the Fox and CBS deals combined will be worth about $35 million annually -- around $20 million from CBS and $15 million from Fox. The length of the deals is not clear yet, but MWC Commissioner Craig Thompson has said that he wanted shorter terms than the 10-year deals the MWC had previously. The games in the Fox package are expected to run primarily on FS1.

The new Fox and CBS contracts, which will go into effect July 1, provide the conference’s 10 schools -- not including Hawaii and Boise State, which have separate arrangements -- with a significant revenue lift. Under the old contracts, those 10 schools made $1.1 million per year, per school. That per-school figure should jump to about $3 million or more. The league’s media deals are complicated because Boise State’s home games are negotiated separately from the rest of the conference. In the previous arrangement, Boise was paid a $1.8 million annual bonus, a deal negotiated in 2012 when the school jumped to the Big East and then quickly returned. Thompson has said that Boise will continue to receive a bonus above what other MWC schools get as an incentive to keep the Broncos in the league. Hawaii also has a separate deal, as it is a football-only member of the MWC.

Fox is now in business with five FBS conferences -- the MWC, Big 12, Big Ten, Pac-12 and Big East. The network also is believed to be in the running for the SEC’s package of 15 football games that CBS currently has. Even though Fox won the bidding, ESPN will continue to have a bowl relationship with the Mountain West and work with the league on playing in the early-season basketball tournaments. The MWC worked with Wasserman as an adviser on the deal.
    https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/...019/12/16.aspx
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

More than before, still very terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
      More than before, still very terrible.
      I love seeing the rest of the conference give Boise special treatment. Good stuff. I'm amazed that some fans think that conference would be a good fit for BYU.

Comment

Boise State not pleased with how the MWC television deal went down. Link to the lawsuit: https://docs.google.com/viewerng/vie...e-Football.pdf
        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Interesting. I look forward to the MWC's response. I'm definitely not a lawyer but based on my reading of the facts presented, it appears Boise has a pretty good case.

Comment

Yeah, I've been a proponent of BYU returning to the MWC under a similar arrangement to BSU, but this is clearly a deal breaker. I can't believe that Craig Thompson is still the commissioner of this group after every thing that has happened under his watch.

Comment

The references to the "blue turf" and "Boise State's coveted home football games" in the Complaint have me rooting for the MWC for the first time in a long time.
              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                Interesting. I look forward to the MWC's response. I'm definitely not a lawyer but based on my reading of the facts presented, it appears Boise has a pretty good case.
                Not at all surprising to see the MWC resent Boise's status. USC/UCLA got special treatment in the PAC until the dollars became so huge that it didn't make sense any more. The MWC is no where near that level. If Boise leaves the deal with CBS/Fox craters in value.

It sounds like there are two MWC schools who are the ringleaders against Boise's special treatment. Logically that is CSU and SDSU as they probably think they are Boise's equal. But it could be Wyoming and/or New Mexico. They are the most likely to reach an illogical conclusion and dig in their heels.

Comment

Originally posted by beefytee View Post
                  Yeah, I've been a proponent of BYU returning to the MWC under a similar arrangement to BSU, but this is clearly a deal breaker. I can't believe that Craig Thompson is still the commissioner of this group after every thing that has happened under his watch.
                  This should put the BYU to the MWC lobby out to pasture.

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                    The references to the "blue turf" and "Boise State's coveted home football games" in the Complaint have me rooting for the MWC for the first time in a long time.
                    One of the Memphis replies said that his 10-yr-old daughter loves the blue turf. Sounds about right.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Just saw this-- so the rights to show a few games on ESPN was wrested away by Fox? lol- talk about shrinking your exposure...
                      "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Originally posted by Commando View Post
                        Just saw this-- so the rights to show a few games on ESPN was wrested away by Fox? lol- talk about shrinking your exposure...
                        Did you read the complaint? I'm not sure it has anything to do with ESPN vs. Fox. It has to do with the MWC going back on their deal to give Boise a bigger share of the pie.

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                          Did you read the complaint? I'm not sure it has anything to do with ESPN vs. Fox. It has to do with the MWC going back on their deal to give Boise a bigger share of the pie.
                          Yes, but I was actually commenting on the topic of this thread.
                          "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Originally posted by Commando View Post
                            Yes, but I was actually commenting on the topic of this thread.
                            Ahh, I thought you were talking about the recent part of this thread discussing the lawsuit. If you're talking about the new contract in general as shrinking exposure I agree with you.

Carry on.

Comment

BSU can SAD.

I am glad we cost them millions of dollars this season.

Comment

Working...
                              X