The OFFICIAL Seattle Seahawks thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
    I agree about Pete. He is very rad. I wonder how such a suave, intelligent and interesting guy got into this industry.

By the way, he looks and acts ten years younger than John Fox.
    Interesting bit on this Superbowl being less about Manning's legacy and almost all about a validation of pete's legacy.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/c...s-title-020214

When he arrived at SC, he was criticized for being a failure in the NFL. I have mentioned previously that while his record was definitely mediocre, it really wasn't as awful as some led on. It wasn't great, mind you, but he wasn't necessarily a failure.

Fast forward around 13 years. Pete was a couple of minutes away from winning 3 consecutive national championships at SC, he presided over 3 Heisman winners, he left SC to go to what was considered at the time to be a moribund Seattle franchise, turned them into outside contenders last season, and just won a Superbowl, laying the foundation for a really competitive next half decade.

In the process, he has shown that there is room in football for having fun. His methods can work in the pros as well as in college. I remember when Stanford beat SC in the Coliseum, after the game Richard Sherman was mocking SC, saying "fight on" to the cameras. Last night the same kid that didnt understand Pete was now praising his Win Forever mentality and his strategy of letting players be themselves while having fun in a structured environment. Earl Thomas said that any of the players on the team would run through a brick wall for Pete. Pete was recently voted (by players) as the coach most players want to play for. And the fans in Seattle, many of whom hated Pete when he was at SC, have bought into his infectious brand of coaching. Just as he had done in LA previously, Pete saw the value in recruiting the fans as well as the players, all in an effort to create a total team atmosphere, wherein fans and players alike expect to win every game.

The results speak for themselves. Seattle has become must-see TV. Seahawks games are now an event. And players that arent there want to come be a part of it.

Seattle is really lucky to have this guy. He is a special coach.
    Last edited by TripletDaddy; 02-03-2014, 01:47 PM.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

MODS, CAN WE CALL THIS THREAD JUST "Seahawks"?

What happened to the Lakers thread? It used to be a mainstay.
      GTFO of here in trying to get my thread title changed.

Comment

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
        Interesting bit on this Superbowl being less about Manning's legacy and almost all about a validation of pete's legacy.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/c...s-title-020214

When he arrived at SC, he was criticized for being a failure in the NFL. I have mentioned previously that while his record was definitely mediocre, it really wasn't as awful as some led on. It wasn't great, mind you, but he wasn't necessarily a failure.

Fast forward around 13 years. Pete was a couple of minutes away from winning 3 consecutive national championships at SC, he presided over 3 Heisman winners, he left SC to go to what was considered at the time to be a moribund Seattle franchise, turned them into outside contenders last season, and just won a Superbowl, laying the foundation for a really competitive next half decade.

In the process, he has shown that there is room in football for having fun. His methods can work in the pros as well as in college. I remember when Stanford beat SC in the Coliseum, after the game Richard Sherman was mocking SC, saying "fight on" to the cameras. Last night the same kid that didnt understand Pete was now praising his Win Forever mentality and his strategy of letting players be themselves while having fun in a structured environment. Earl Thomas said that any of the players on the team would run through a brick wall for Pete. Pete was recently voted (by players) as the coach most players want to play for. And the fans in Seattle, many of whom hated Pete when he was at SC, have bought into his infectious brand of coaching. Just as he had done in LA previously, Pete saw the value in recruiting the fans as well as the players, all in an effort to create a total team atmosphere, wherein fans and players alike expect to win every game.

The results speak for themselves. Seattle has become must-see TV. Seahawks games are now an event. And players that arent there want to come be a part of it.

Seattle is really lucky to have this guy. He is a special coach.
        One thing I love about him, is he went to Pacific, started out as a waterboy, DB coach, etc. He's no son of any legendary coach. He got the tough NFL jobs; never had a chance to coach a guy like Peyton Manning. When he was hired in the NFL he was regarded as a stopgap. Same at USC. He got fired twice in the NFL. Everyone thought he was done before USC. He was USC's like seventh choice.

What a ferocious competitor who loves loves loves what he does. He's a real testament to endurance and persistence. He's also a testament that it's not easy bing the smartest guy in the room your whole life. And it's those kinds of players he loves in the NFL. Russell Wilson fifth round, Malcolm Smith seventh round, Jermaine Keirst undrafted, Richard Sherman fifth round, Marshawn Lynch kicked out of Buffalo, traded for next to nothing. All in the last three years and the list goes on an on.

His exhuberance after Kierst (undrafted former Husky) caught the winning TD against San Francisco really captures Pete Carroll's character and persona. He's a very rad coach.
        When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

One thing I love about him, is he went to Pacific, started out as a waterboy, DB coach, etc. He's no son of any legendary coach. He got the tough NFL jobs; never had a chance to coach a guy like Peyton Manning. When he was hired in the NFL he was regarded as a stopgap. Same at USC. He got fired twice in the NFL. Everyone thought he was done before USC. He was USC's like seventh choice.

What a ferocious competitor who loves loves loves what he does. He's a real testament to endurance and persistence. He's also a testament that it's not easy bing the smartest guy in the room your whole life. And it's those kinds of players he loves in the NFL. Russell Wilson fifth round, Malcolm Smith seventh round, Jermaine Keirst undrafted, Richard Sherman fifth round, Marshawn Lynch kicked out of Buffalo, traded for next to nothing. All in the last three years and the list goes on an on.

His exhuberance after Kierst (undrafted former Husky) caught the winning TD against San Francisco really captures Pete Carroll's character and persona. He's a very rad coach.
          You realize he's not the GM, right? Like most great coaches, Pete is an average coach when he has an average to poor QB, and a good to great coach when he has a good QB.
          Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
            GTFO of here in trying to get my thread title changed.
            I love you but you lack genius for naming threads.
            When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
              I didn't read the article you linked, but I agree with this. Manning has proved he he can win the big one, I'm not sure what winning another really does for his legacy.

Pete's legacy is now cemented, where there was room for doubt prior to the Super Bowl win.
              I'm like LeBron James.
              -mpfunk

Comment

• Pete seems really genuine and down to earth. He looks like he is having more fun than anyone. Seattle is lucky to have him.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Jermaine Keirst? Who is that? Russell Wilson was a third round pick not a 5th round.

Every NFL team has late round picks contribute, when you have a 53 man roster, chances are you don't have 53 first round picks.

Lynch was traded for a 4th round pick, Seattle definitely got the better end of the deal but a 4th rounder is not a give away. Clearly Pete is still not sold as he has drafted running backs in 3 straight drafts. Including spending a 4th round pick on Turbin and a 2nd rounder on Christine Michael.
                  *Banned*

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                    You realize he's not the GM, right? Like most great coaches, Pete is an average coach when he has an average to poor QB, and a good to great coach when he has a good QB.
                    True, but Pete has a track record of making good players great. Clay Matthews is a good example. Carson Palmer, as well. Carson was a washout, Pete harnessed Carson and turned him into a winner. I think you could make a case that pete and his staff had a similar effect on Russell Wilson, in that they coached up a second year QB into a Superbowl winning QB. Pete took a roster into the Superbowl without a single player having played in a Superbowl and he not only won, he laid down one of the most epic beatings in history against a team that had veterans and Superbowl winners. The Seahawks were prepared mentally and that is what Pete brings to the table.

No doubt that great coaches look great when they have strong rosters, but Pete's brand of football was my main focus in the other post. I wasn't trying to make him out to be the best NFL coach of all time. Pete is going to lose his share of games and eventually be replaced. For those that enjoy him as a person, last night was a fun validation of everything he stands for and that he has instilled in his players and fans: swagger backed up by results.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                      I didn't read the article you linked, but I agree with this. Manning has proved he he can win the big one, I'm not sure what winning another really does for his legacy.

Pete's legacy is now cemented, where there was room for doubt prior to the Super Bowl win.
                      He'd no longer have fewer Super Bowl wins than this guy, which might be important to him:

164361dc32671aadea41c0ec7f6b5d6c-600x596.jpg
                      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Can we give Darrell Bevill some credit? His game plan was perfect.
                        *Banned*

Comment

• Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                          Jermaine Keirst? Who is that? Russell Wilson was a third round pick not a 5th round.

Every NFL team has late round picks contribute, when you have a 53 man roster, chances are you don't have 53 first round picks.

Lynch was traded for a 4th round pick, Seattle definitely got the better end of the deal but a 4th rounder is not a give away. Clearly Pete is still not sold as he has drafted running backs in 3 straight drafts. Including spending a 4th round pick on Turbin and a 2nd rounder on Christine Michael.
                          I wonder if he isn't sold. His style has always been to amass as many RBs as possible.

sigpic

Comment

Can we give Darrell Bevill some credit? His game plan was perfect.
                            I'd like to give him credit in the form of a HC job offer in Provo.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                              He'd no longer have fewer Super Bowl wins than this guy, which might be important to him:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3739[/ATTACH]
                              It might be more important to him to have more than that guy, so perhaps winning just a second means very little to him. Maybe the third would be the big one.
                              I'm like LeBron James.
                              -mpfunk

Comment

Can we give Darrell Bevill some credit? His game plan was perfect.
                                Is he LDS? As a rule I don't give any of those credit for anything.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Working...
                                X