I bought another laser printer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I bought another laser printer

I've been using a Samsung laser printer for a few years and apparently it has died. It thinks there is a paper jam even though I've disassembled it all the way and there is no paper in there. It was due for a new toner cartridge anyway, and those cost more than the printer did originally. I'm pretty sure I payed less than a hundred bucks for the printer, so we'll just toss it out and replace it.

The replacement is a Brother laser printer copier. For right now, I have three printers and three scanners, but one or two of those will get recycled. One scanner is for slides - need to keep that. One printer/scanner has just been used as a scanner and if the new one can do everything that one could do, it will get recycled. The dead laser printer definitely gets recycled.

I'm a bit annoyed that this stuff doesn't last forever, but for the price they sell these things for, I really can't complain.

Have any of you gotten more than five years out of a computer printer?

I love my brother laser printer. It is only black and white, but the toner cartridges last a long time and the generic replacements are around 10 bucks. Thinking of getting another to send with my daughter to college next year.

Comment

Like Scott R Nelson, I had a Samsung that was cheap and didn't last long and then I upgraded to a brother. The brother has been much better.

I have an HP color printer that my wife wanted to print crap for YW. It has a phantom paper jam too.
      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I had a Samsung B&W laser printer/scanner that lasted over a decade. The paper feeder stopped functioning properly, or else we would still be using it. That said, I like our new Brother B&W laser printer/scanner/fax. It has wireless printing, which our old one did not, and the images look great. We got it for a song at Sam's Club.
        "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

We average 4-5 years or so. Right now we're using a Brother.

Comment

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
            I love my brother laser printer. It is only black and white, but the toner cartridges last a long time and the generic replacements are around 10 bucks. Thinking of getting another to send with my daughter to college next year.
            Same. Cheap and reliable.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I bought a used HP color networked laser printer off Amazon.com. I generally don't buy used electronics but the price was really good and Amazon guaranteed the purchase so I decided to take a gamble on it. When I opened the package, I saw from the invoice that the seller was the LDS Church. The thing has worked beautifully with no problems.

Comment

I spent nearly an hour getting this new printer hooked up and installing all of the software. Part of that extra time had to do with threading cables through my computer cabinet, but that's all done now. When I first turned it on, the system tried to install drivers, then popped up an error message. So I stuck the CD in there and told it to run their install software. Why is that so slow?

One thing I think they could have done better on the install is check right away whether or not it was installing the latest stuff. Instead it installed everything then put up a list of things that needed to be updated. Grumble. :rant:

But it's all working now and can print two-sided if I tell it to, which I consider a valuable feature.

Hopefully I can ignore the printer for another five years or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
                  Have any of you gotten more than five years out of a computer printer?
                  I still have an old HP LaserJet 3P that I bought in about 1992. It works (slowly), but the last couple of toner cartridges have leaked, resulting in streaks down each page. I finally turned it off a year or so ago and use my HP 8600 color inkjet printer/scanner/copier, which I've had for a number of years.

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                    I bought a used HP color networked laser printer off Amazon.com. I generally don't buy used electronics but the price was really good and Amazon guaranteed the purchase so I decided to take a gamble on it. When I opened the package, I saw from the invoice that the seller was the LDS Church. The thing has worked beautifully with no problems.
                    This reminds me of a story about a printer. About 5 years ago I was called as the ward clerk in a brand new ward. We were setting up all new stuff and we had a brand new office with nothing in it. SLC told us to go out and buy a printer so we could get things set up ASAP. They even told us where to buy it and what model number, so it was one they were familiar with. So I went out and bought it and we got it all set up.

About a week later, we got a printer shipped to us from SLC. It was part of the standard "new ward package" that they must send out when a new ward is created. It was a similar model, but not exactly the same as the one we bought. So I couldn't just return it in place of the already purchased printer. We tried every which way to send it back to SLC, because we already had a printer. They were not having it, and the people we were talking to in SLC were not buying that we already bought a printer and didn't need this one. We emailed the stake and asked if they needed it or if another ward needed it, and they said no. After about 2-3 months of trying to figure out what to do, my bishop finally told me "sell the thing for as much as you can get and deposit the money into the fast offering." So that's what we did. And I got an extra $150 in tax write offs that year, so that was nice.
                    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

I started a little side business from home in 2005 or 2006. I bought a new HP Photosmart inkjet printer/scanner/fax machine around then primarily so that I could use a document feeder for the scans/copies instead of having to place each page one at a time on the old machine. Within a few years, I'd converted my side business to full time and was no longer working from home. I've had industrial-grade machines in my offices ever since, so my HP Photosmart's workload significantly decreased. It's still plugging along. My wife has been ramping up her own little business lately, and has been printing a lot of crap material. Seems like I've had to buy more HP 02 cartridges in the last 6 months than I did in the previous 10 years combined.
                      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                        I started a little side business from home in 2005 or 2006. I bought a new HP Photosmart inkjet printer/scanner/fax machine around then primarily so that I could use a document feeder for the scans/copies instead of having to place each page one at a time on the old machine. Within a few years, I'd converted my side business to full time and was no longer working from home. I've had industrial-grade machines in my offices ever since, so my HP Photosmart's workload significantly decreased. It's still plugging along. My wife has been ramping up her own little business lately, and has been printing a lot of crap material. Seems like I've had to buy more HP 02 cartridges in the last 6 months than I did in the previous 10 years combined.
                        Interesting what do you do?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
                        "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

Originally posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
                          Interesting what do you do?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
                          Post on Cougarstadium.com.
                          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Post on Cougarstadium.com.
                            The facts do not support your claim, my good sir.

Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
                              . . .So I stuck the CD in there and told it to run their install software. . .
                              Wait, what year is this? Do computers still have CD drives? Were there also 4 floppy disks you could have used instead?

Comment

Working...
                              X