BYU Recruiting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BYU Recruiting

Didn't see a thread for this year's recruiting class, so I'll start a general one.

I was looking through BYU's 2020 recruiting class, which 247 rates as fairly low-- 76 in the country. Which would actually be an improvement from the year before, where we were 81.

https://247sports.com/college/byu/Se...tball/Commits/

In hopes of more cheerful news, I looked through our offers to see if we at least have some big fish still out there. There is one four-star guy choosing between us and Michigan.

But in doing so, I noticed something that strikes me as strange: none of the kids we have listed as offers or prospects have committed to Utah. (Several Utah offers have committed to BYU though.) In fact, Utah's current class is ranked at 119 in the country, just two spots above Utah State at 121, and just behind Harvard (117) and Buffalo (118).

As much as I'd love to believe that Utah is completely whiffing in this year's recruiting, including losing every single head-to-head battle against BYU, even as it is fielding one of its best teams in history, I suspect there is more going on than what I am seeing. Happy for someone who understands it better to explain. (I do see that there are not many commits-- only six. So more are expected to come, then?)
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Originally posted by All-American View Post
    Didn't see a thread for this year's recruiting class, so I'll start a general one.

I was looking through BYU's 2020 recruiting class, which 247 rates as fairly low-- 76 in the country. Which would actually be an improvement from the year before, where we were 81.

In hopes of more cheerful news, I looked through our offers to see if we at least have some big fish still out there. There is one four-star guy choosing between us and Michigan.

But in doing so, I noticed something that strikes me as strange: none of the kids we have listed as offers or prospects have committed to Utah. (Several Utah offers have committed to BYU though.) In fact, Utah's current class is ranked at 119 in the country, just two spots above Utah State at 121, and just behind Harvard (117) and Buffalo (118).

As much as I'd love to believe that Utah is completely whiffing in this year's recruiting, including losing every single head-to-head battle against BYU, even as it is fielding one of its best teams in history, I suspect there is more going on than what I am seeing. Happy for someone who understands it better to explain. (I do see that there are not many commits-- only six. So more are expected to come, then?)
    I saw someone on twitter say that utah has a bunch of people coming off missions and not many scholarships to give out. Not sure if that is the reason or not.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      I saw someone on twitter say that utah has a bunch of people coming off missions and not many scholarships to give out. Not sure if that is the reason or not.
      Man that mission advantage that Utah has really sucks!

Comment

Originally posted by All-American View Post

Utah only has 6 verbal commitments, which explains the low ranking. When signing date is over, Utah will have several recruits who choose over BYU.

Comment

Christopher Jackson, a WR from a juco in California has committed. That's useful for next season.

Comment

Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
            Christopher Jackson, a WR from a juco in California has committed. That's useful for next season.
            Here comes the general!
            Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

He's very fast.

Comment

Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                He's very fast.
                But his stats are spotty at best. Definitely a project.
                Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

And, now to start out the lovely 2021 recruiting season, our best commit so far, Logan Fano, has officially decommited.

Comment

And, now to start out the lovely 2021 recruiting season, our best commit so far, Logan Fano, has officially decommited.
                    Yeah, I didn't think he was coming for a while.

Comment

Looking like Devontae Henry Cole may be coming to BYU as a grad transfer from Utah....

Comment

I don't know anything about him, but I'm all for adding RB depth.
                        "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

They offered him I think when he was in 8th grade maybe 9th. It sucks to lose a commitment, but it seems wrong to be try to get 14 year olds to commit to their future like that.

Comment

Looking like Devontae Henry Cole may be coming to BYU as a grad transfer from Utah....
                            There's talk that he might not be a grad transfer but a traditional one.

Comment

Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                              There's talk that he might not be a grad transfer but a traditional one.
                              Would he have more than one year left either way?
                              τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Working...
                              X