No announcement yet.

What’s Uncle Ted watching on Apple TV+?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What’s Uncle Ted watching on Apple TV+?

Watched the first couple episodes of The Morning Show. Gotta admit, I’m liking it more than the critics did. It is a bit predictable and a little over too at times, but the story moves and the production and acting are top notch. They are lucky to have Reese Witherspoon. She’s by far the star of the show.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
    Watched the first couple episodes of The Morning Show. Gotta admit, I’m liking it more than the critics did. It is a bit predictable and a little over too at times, but the story moves and the production and acting are top notch. They are lucky to have Reese Witherspoon. She’s by far the star of the show.
    The critics are all lefties and, of course, they wouldn't care for it. First, Bradly Jackson (the character that Witherspoon plays) is an independent conservative or, really, a libertarian. In "viral video" in the 1st episode she points out how both the left and the right are flawed in their thinking. I also like how Mitch, played by Steve Carell, points out #MeToo has gone overboard since he was fired for having consensual sex. Of course, the liberal critics are not going to like it.

I wonder about the writing, however. You can't help think the Mitch is the "Matt Lauer" of the show (right down to the button under his desktop that closes and locks his door). Matt Lauer, to this day I believe, thinks he is innocent and that his sexual relationships were consensual. Also, that the character played by Martin Short is a "Harvey Weinstein". Of course, maybe this is why the show is so addicting. It mirrors real life at a time the news was more interesting. Now it is all about the Dems trying to peddle hearsay as evidence of something. Watching the real news has become boring.

The last scene of episode 4 was awesome. Yes, Witherspoon is the star of the show. I can't wait for episode 5.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Binged the first three episodes last night. The first episode was kind of meh, but it definitely seems to get better (with the third episode being the best I've seen so far).
      Last edited by UVACoug; 11-15-2019, 10:51 AM.

Comment

We are on episode 8 and loving it. In spite of a zillion f-bombs.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Just finished The Beastie Boys Story on Apple TV..

LOVED IT!! An awesome trip down memory lane and wonderful tribute to Adam Yauch..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The Defending Jacob limited series is quite good. First 3 episodes out so far.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              The Defending Jacob limited series is quite good. First 3 episodes out so far.
              MJ and I finished this last night. We both really liked it. I thought the story was well done and moved fast enough to keep our attention without giving too much. It was a little predictable, but took enough good turns to keep us guessing. I’m liking the one season series as well.
              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Ted Lasso is kind of cheesy but worth watching.

I like how the Premier League club has the equivalent coaching/training staff of like a ninth grade basketball team in the US.

Comment

Originally posted by dabrockster View Post
                  Just finished The Beastie Boys Story on Apple TV..

LOVED IT!! An awesome trip down memory lane and wonderful tribute to Adam Yauch..
                  You ought to get the Beastie Boys Book, since that show is basically just its Cliff's Notes. Even the audio book version, which is still an abridgment of the Beastie Boys Book is worthwhile, since they have a lot of cool guest narrators in addition to Mike D and Ad Rock.

The book itself has endless pictures, footnotes, and snapshots of Beastie Boys ephemera, etc. My favorite anecdote was about playing basketball backstage at Lollapalooza talking about Billy Corgan monster dunking on Ricky Powell.
                  "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Originally posted by Commando View Post
                    You ought to get the Beastie Boys Book, since that show is basically just its Cliff's Notes. Even the audio book version, which is still an abridgment of the Beastie Boys Book is worthwhile, since they have a lot of cool guest narrators in addition to Mike D and Ad Rock.

The book itself has endless pictures, footnotes, and snapshots of Beastie Boys ephemera, etc. My favorite anecdote was about playing basketball backstage at Lollapalooza talking about Billy Corgan monster dunking on Ricky Powell.
                    Will the book ruin the documentary?

Comment

Originally posted by beefytee View Post
                      Will the book ruin the documentary?

Comment

Highly recommend Tehran. It's an Israeli-made spy thriller that takes place primarily in Iran. Originally aired in Israel and was bought by Apple for U.S. distribution. I've always been fascinated by media that depicts life in Iran, and this is no different. The acting is terrific and the story is easy to follow, despite more than half of it being in Farsi and Hebrew. Despite being produced in Israel, it doesn't paint the Iranian characters as pure villains. Nor does it portray the Israelis as innocent heroes or victims. Well worth the time, if you can deal with the subtitles (it isn't that hard ... it's a gripping story). The main Iranian officer in the show may be my favorite character. He is played by the same guy that played the Iranian defector in Homeland, if you kept up with that. A great actor.

Here's a decent review, if you're interested:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/re...hran-tv-review

Comment

"Letter to You" is pretty good. Springsteen is in a very contemplative mood, which shows in the songs that are played in the show. 2 members of the E Street Band have died, and he refers to other friends/family that are gone. It's all in black and white, which helps Van Zandt who doesn't look too good these days. The drone footage interspersed throughout the show are beautiful.

He's been around for 50 years, so all of it sounds very Springsteen-esque. There's nothing really 'new' here, but I did like about half the songs that were played. I'd listen to the album again. If you are or were a Springsteen fan, I recommend it.
                          "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                          "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                          - SeattleUte

Comment

MJ and I finished this last night. We both really liked it. I thought the story was well done and moved fast enough to keep our attention without giving too much. It was a little predictable, but took enough good turns to keep us guessing. I’m liking the one season series as well.
                            Just finished this book (Defending Jacob), so now I’m watching it. Really well done, pretty faithful to the book. My only complaint is that the music is a bit over the top. Too melodramatic, and seems like it’s always there.

I hope whoever put The Nix on film, I hope they do it in a series like this. Really lets the details and themes of the book come out, instead of having to gloss over, change, or just leave out parts like a 2 hour movie would.

Comment

Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                              Ted Lasso is kind of cheesy but worth watching.

I like how the Premier League club has the equivalent coaching/training staff of like a ninth grade basketball team in the US.
                              Agreed on both points in your first sentence. Totally implausible (a Premier League team hiring as its head coach/manager an American football coach who doesn't understand the offsides rule, or anything else about soccer?). Still, the show is very entertaining and we're hoping for a second season.

Comment

Working...
                              X