Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
Results 631 to 660 of 807

Thread: 2019-2020 BYU Cougars basketball

  1. #631
    вот так штука CardiacCoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The SLC
    Posts
    10,803

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    I may have spent the better part of an hour today reading Gonzaga message boards. They hate us so much. Very few (some, but not many) are able to discuss the game without blaming the loss on the refs.

    They hate our fans so much, and most won’t admit it (some do) but they are jealous af about an arena that seats 18k+.

    So many great posts, but this one got a legit LOL out of me:


    Hilarious. There were some anti-Mormon “protestors” with signs educating people about the evil nature of Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon outside the arena. Probably Timberzag’s friends.

    So many good things about that post but the fact that it “almost feels evil” although Timberzag has never been to the Marriott Center is pretty interesting.

  2. #632
    Senior Member myboynoah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Land of the Morning Calm
    Posts
    16,245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    I may have spent the better part of an hour today reading Gonzaga message boards. They hate us so much. Very few (some, but not many) are able to discuss the game without blaming the loss on the refs.

    They hate our fans so much, and most won’t admit it (some do) but they are jealous af about an arena that seats 18k+.

    So many great posts, but this one got a legit LOL out of me:


    I took the bait and googled a Gonzaga board. Page after page of complaining about the refs, sprinkled in with "hardeeharhars" over BYU fans booing calls against the Cougars. Boring.

    As I recall, right out of the chute the game was stopped because Toolson was bleeding after getting clocked on his cheekbone. Was that a BYU hack gone astray? I ask because I don't remember the refs calling a foul over that contact.
    Last edited by myboynoah; 02-23-2020 at 10:38 PM.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

    For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

    Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

  3. #633
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    50,939

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
    I took the bait and googled a Gonzaga board. Page after page of complaining about the refs, sprinkled in with "hardeeharhars" over BYU fans booing calls against the Cougars. Boring.

    As I recall, right out of the shoot the game was stopped because Toolson was bleeding after getting clocked on his cheekbone. Was that a BYU hack gone astray? I ask because I don't remember the refs calling a foul over that contact.
    Sports boards are a magnet for idiots.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  4. #634
    Senior Member myboynoah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Land of the Morning Calm
    Posts
    16,245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Sports boards are a magnet for idiots.
    Word!

    I'm so glad that hasn't happened here.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

    For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

    Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

  5. #635
    Senior Member myboynoah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Land of the Morning Calm
    Posts
    16,245

    Default

    Remember when Yoeli committed to BYU? A good get for BYU, but I don't think we realized how big a get that was. I think I remember someone saying there were questions about his work ethic. Ha!!!!

    Are Pope and Burgess behind our big men actually being a threat in the post? Yoeli is talented, so I see that. But Colby has been a revelation. The kid has the confidence to try and back anybody down. What a funky little pop shot, or whatever you call it. That is money! If true, then Chris, you are making 15 million Mormons very proud!

    And MVP, well, gotta say that the dude is an MVP. Hope to see him back soon.

    This has been a really cool team that has actually gotten better as the season progressed, and fought through injuries and other adversities. Please, please, please, no surprise unmarried pregnancies out there! Please!

    I still haven't fully forgiven that uofutah loss. Makes me sick to think about.

    I'm really liking Pope. I had a guy I knew in Tokyo whose son played at Wake when Pope was an assistant coach. When Pope moved to BYU he went on and on about how lucky we were to have him. He said the Wake players loved Pope. There is no reason he can't build something very nice at BYU. Holmoe, show him the money!!!!
    Last edited by myboynoah; 02-24-2020 at 01:34 AM.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

    For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

    Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

  6. #636
    Senior Member myboynoah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Land of the Morning Calm
    Posts
    16,245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Sports boards are a magnet for idiots.
    And often they manage to find their way to twitter.

    Last edited by myboynoah; 02-24-2020 at 01:32 AM.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

    For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

    Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

  7. #637

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
    Please, please, please, no surprise unmarried pregnancies out there! Please!


    Quote Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
    I still haven't fully forgiven that uofutah loss. Makes me sick to think about.
    I've finally found it in myself to forgive them for that. It helps that Utah is a toilet-tier team this year, as they have been every year and will be forever. I like what coach K is doing on the hill!

    Quote Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
    Holmoe, show him the money!!!!
    Last edited by myboynoah; 02-24-2020 at 01:34 AM.
    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

  8. #638
    Bald not naked Pelado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The 208
    Posts
    11,996

    Default

    BYU's road and neutral game winning percentages are pretty similar to most of the teams rated above them in NET (excluding the top 5). One of the reasons why BYU has more losses than the other teams ranked around them is that they've played more games away from home than any other team in the NET top 45 (if my quick perusal is correct). Have to go all the way down to #60, Yale to find a team that's played more road and neutral games (17) than BYU (15).
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

  9. #639

    Default

    Bracketology has BYU slotted as a 6 seed playing Wichita St. in St. Louis. That would be an unfortunate draw for the Cougs. I know nothing about the Shockers this year, but they are a program with a lot of NCAA experience and a dedicated fanbase in the midwest.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

  10. #640

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
    Same. I heaped on a lot of criticism his frosh and soph years. I thought he was a total disappointment based on his high school career. He turned the corner last year, and this year he's been phenomenal. If they make a tourney run, all will be forgiven, and he'll go down as one of the BYU all-timers.
    that sophomore year as well as expectations coming out of HS have caused Haws to be underrated almost his entire career. I may have been guilty as well during his freshman season, but looking back, it's one of, if not the best frosh seasons ever for a byu point guard. if guys like you and me took him to task, he didn't deserve it.

    then he had the down sophomore season, but his junior year was about as good as it gets in BYU history for a PG and he's followed that up with a very nice senior year.

    All told, he's a lock for top 5 pg in byu history, if not top 3 - at least since i've been a fan going back to the early 80s.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

  11. #641

    Default

    Net Rating 14
    Pomeroy 16
    AP Poll 17
    Bracket Matrix consensus of projections updated on 2/24: 7 seed

    The numbers say we should be a 4-5 seed. No idea why the consensus is 6-7. Especially when you consider much of our resume was built without Childs.

  12. #642

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wapiti View Post
    Net Rating 14
    Pomeroy 16
    AP Poll 17
    Bracket Matrix consensus of projections updated on 2/24: 7 seed

    The numbers say we should be a 4-5 seed. No idea why the consensus is 6-7. Especially when you consider much of our resume was built without Childs.
    This is because we get screwed as a result of our no Sunday play policy.

  13. #643

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wapiti View Post
    Net Rating 14
    Pomeroy 16
    AP Poll 17
    Bracket Matrix consensus of projections updated on 2/24: 7 seed

    The numbers say we should be a 4-5 seed. No idea why the consensus is 6-7. Especially when you consider much of our resume was built without Childs.
    Unfortunately those aren't the numbers the committee uses for seeding purposes. They don't use the human polls at all, and it isn't included on the sheet they have on each team. They can look at the NET, kenpom, BPI, and Sagarin. I think there may be a couple of others I don't remember the names of. BYU is ranked similarly on all of those right now. They also look at overall and non-conference SOS (determined by the NET), and record away from home (both true road games and neutral court). They can also take injuries into account and which games were missed by a key player. However, what seems to carry the most weight is a team's records vs. Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4. That's where you're seeing BYU coming in a little lower than their rankings on the computers. Other teams ranked close to them have better numbers there.

    For example, BYU is #14 on the NET and their records against the 4 quadrants are:
    Q1: 3-4
    Q2: 4-3
    Q3: 8-0
    Q4: 7-0

    West Virginia is #15 and here are their numbers vs. the quadrants:
    Q1: 5-6
    Q2: 5-2
    Q3: 8-0
    Q4: 1-0

    #16 Texas Tech:
    Q1: 3-8
    Q2: 4-1
    Q3: 3-0
    Q4: 8-0

    #17 Seton Hall:
    Q1: 10-5
    Q2: 5-2
    Q3: 0-0
    Q4: 5-0

    #18 Colorado:
    Q1: 6-3
    Q2: 5-3
    Q3: 4-1
    Q4: 6-0

    #19 Ohio State
    Q1: 5-8
    Q2: 5-1
    Q3: 2-0
    Q4: 6-0

    #20 Oregon:
    Q1: 7-5
    Q2: 4-2
    Q3: 6-0
    Q4: 4-0

    Here is how these teams are projected based on the bracket matrix composite of +-100 brackets that are out there right now. The caveat with the matrix is that some of the brackets have not been updated yet since the BYU/Gonzaga game. So BYU and Ohio State are currently right next to each other, with BYU probably about to pass them.

    Seton Hall: 3
    Oregon: 4
    W. Virginia: 4
    Colorado: 5
    Ohio State: 6 (the lowest 6 seed)
    BYU: 7 (the best 7 seed)
    Texas Tech: 8

    Seton Hall has the best projected seeding among these, but as you can see, they also have 10 quad 1 wins, with a 15-7 record against Q1 and Q2 combined. That's pretty impressive. One pattern that seems to appear here is that these seeds seem to reflect combined q1 and q2 records. On the surface, all these teams except for Texas Tech have better records than BYU against the quadrants, and the bracketologists are seeding them accordingly.

    If you follow the link below and compare BYU's records vs. the quadrants with those of teams ranked further down, they actually look similar to teams currently projected for seeds 9-11. But they are currently projected around 6/7. That's because BYU does have some things going for them besides their NET. Their non-conference SOS is #9, and this is something the committee always talks about and historically has rewarded teams for. Also, in their record vs. Q1, 3 of the 4 losses came against teams in the top 5. Also, because of the Gonzaga win, BYU is one of only 7 teams in the country that has a win against a top 3 ranked team in the NET. Also, like I said, not all the brackets are settled following last weekend, and I think BYU keeps moving up the ladder as long as they don't lose to Pepperdine.

    http://www.warrennolan.com/basketball/2020/net-nitty

    http://www.bracketmatrix.com/
    Last edited by BlueK; 02-24-2020 at 02:44 PM.

  14. #644

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by imanihonjin View Post
    This is because we get screwed as a result of our no Sunday play policy.
    The committee doesn't seed based on the rankings. They do look at them, but mostly only to classify teams into the quadrants and to determine which teams are going to be considered. It's record vs. the quadrants that carries the biggest weight.
    Last edited by BlueK; 02-24-2020 at 02:39 PM.

  15. #645

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
    Unfortunately those aren't the numbers the committee uses for seeding purposes. They don't use the human polls at all, and it isn't included on the sheet they have on each team. They can look at the NET, kenpom, BPI, and Sagarin. I think there may be a couple of others I don't remember the names of. BYU is ranked similarly on all of those right now. They also look at overall and non-conference SOS (determined by the NET), and record away from home (both true road games and neutral court). They can also take injuries into account and which games were missed by a key player. However, what seems to carry the most weight is a team's records vs. Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4. That's where you're seeing BYU coming in a little lower than their rankings on the computers. Other teams ranked close to them have better numbers there.

    For example, BYU is #14 on the NET and their records against the 4 quadrants are:
    Q1: 3-4
    Q2: 4-3
    Q3: 8-0
    Q4: 7-0

    West Virginia is #15 and here are their numbers vs. the quadrants:
    Q1: 5-6
    Q2: 5-2
    Q3: 8-0
    Q4: 1-0

    #16 Texas Tech:
    Q1: 3-8
    Q2: 4-1
    Q3: 3-0
    Q4: 8-0

    #17 Seton Hall:
    Q1: 10-5
    Q2: 5-2
    Q3: 0-0
    Q4: 5-0

    #18 Colorado:
    Q1: 6-3
    Q2: 5-3
    Q3: 4-1
    Q4: 6-0

    #19 Ohio State
    Q1: 5-8
    Q2: 5-1
    Q3: 2-0
    Q4: 6-0

    #20 Oregon:
    Q1: 7-5
    Q2: 4-2
    Q3: 6-0
    Q4: 4-0

    Here is how these teams are projected based on the bracket matrix composite of +-100 brackets that are out there right now. The caveat with the matrix is that some of the brackets have not been updated yet since the BYU/Gonzaga game. So BYU and Ohio State are currently right next to each other, with BYU probably about to pass them.

    Seton Hall: 3
    Oregon: 4
    W. Virginia: 4
    Colorado: 5
    Ohio State: 6 (the lowest 6 seed)
    BYU: 7 (the best 7 seed)
    Texas Tech: 8

    Seton Hall has the best projected seeding among these, but as you can see, they also have 10 quad 1 wins, with a 15-7 record against Q1 and Q2 combined. That's pretty impressive. One pattern that seems to appear here is that these seeds seem to reflect combined q1 and q2 records. On the surface, all these teams except for Texas Tech have better records than BYU against the quadrants, and the bracketologists are seeding them accordingly.

    If you follow the link below and compare BYU's records vs. the quadrants with those of teams ranked further down, they actually look similar to teams currently projected for seeds 9-11. But they are currently projected around 6/7. That's because BYU does have some things going for them besides their NET. Their non-conference SOS is #9, and this is something the committee always talks about and historically has rewarded teams for. Also, in their record vs. Q1, 3 of the 4 losses came against teams in the top 5. Also, because of the Gonzaga win, BYU is one of only 7 teams in the country that has a win against a top 3 ranked team in the NET. Also, like I said, not all the brackets are settled following last weekend, and I think BYU keeps moving up the ladder as long as they don't lose to Pepperdine.

    http://www.warrennolan.com/basketball/2020/net-nitty

    http://www.bracketmatrix.com/
    Good analysis. I wonder if there are a couple of things the committee with account for in our record better than the bracketologists do. 1) As noted, our quad 1 losses are really high level losses. 2) All of the losses but Gonzaga and Kansas were extremely close. 3) The record with Yoeli playing is 15-1, losses to Utah and Boise simply don't happen with Yoeli which would flip the Quad 2 record from 4-3 to 6-1. (I realize Yoeli played part of the Utah game.)

    If the committee gets down to the minute details, I think BYU will get the benefit of the doubt. Of course, the best way to get a better seed is to win the WCC tournament. Neutral wins over SMC and Gonzaga would bring us up a line or two.

  16. #646
    Senior Member myboynoah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Land of the Morning Calm
    Posts
    16,245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wapiti View Post
    Good analysis. I wonder if there are a couple of things the committee with account for in our record better than the bracketologists do. 1) As noted, our quad 1 losses are really high level losses. 2) All of the losses but Gonzaga and Kansas were extremely close. 3) The record with Yoeli playing is 15-1, losses to Utah and Boise simply don't happen with Yoeli which would flip the Quad 2 record from 4-3 to 6-1. (I realize Yoeli played part of the Utah game.)

    If the committee gets down to the minute details, I think BYU will get the benefit of the doubt. Of course, the best way to get a better seed is to win the WCC tournament. Neutral wins over SMC and Gonzaga would bring us up a line or two.
    I don't know. That hasn't been the case in the past, so I don't see why it would be this time around. Also, BYU doesn't have a good record in the tournament and hasn't danced for how many years? I thought that counted in these considerations. I expect we will all think 6-7 seed and reality will be a 10 seed. SJBH.

    But I like that. More motivation.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

    For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

    Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

  17. #647
    Senior Member myboynoah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Land of the Morning Calm
    Posts
    16,245

    Default

    Listening to Pope's post game news conference and he throws out Fine Young Men!

    Boombitches!
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

    For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

    Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

  18. #648

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
    I don't know. That hasn't been the case in the past, so I don't see why it would be this time around. Also, BYU doesn't have a good record in the tournament and hasn't danced for how many years? I thought that counted in these considerations. I expect we will all think 6-7 seed and reality will be a 10 seed. SJBH.

    But I like that. More motivation.
    They don't look at past results. It's officially not one of the criteria or points they're supposed to discuss. Our 3 seed in 2011 or even our 7 in 2010 certainly wasn't based on past success. Also, BYU did get a big break from the committee as recently as 2014. It was way beyond benefit of the doubt that time. The bracket matrix had us barely in the field with a 12 seed, and most of our own fans thought we wouldn't get in. Also, Kyle Collinsworth had just blown out his knee in the WCC final, so we expected the committee to ding us for that. Instead we got in comfortably with a 10, which was better than anyone from BYU nation would have expected. So what was the deal that year? We had a difficult non-conference schedule. That's arguably the one thing the committee most consistently tries to reward (or punish if it's weak). And ours this year was tougher than it was in 2014. We have 4 q1 losses, but 3 of those are to teams in the top 5 of the NET. And we are one of only 7 teams in the country that has a win against a top 3 team in the NET. Cheer up, it will be fine. Now let's just not lose to Pepperdine.

    Also, this story is kind of funny and correct about our fans. We have a hard time just accepting things might be less than terrible.

    https://www.ksl.com/article/46721384...national-media
    Last edited by BlueK; 02-25-2020 at 06:19 AM.

  19. #649
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    50,939

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
    Also, this story is kind of funny and correct about our fans. We have a hard time just accepting things might be less than terrible.

    https://www.ksl.com/article/46721384...national-media
    This is what happens when you are number one in the country in terms of most NCAA tournament appearances without a single trip to the final four. Perfectly rational response from the fans.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  20. #650

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    This is what happens when you are number one in the country in terms of most NCAA tournament appearances without a single trip to the final four. Perfectly rational response from the fans.
    I don't know if the lack of final fours is really top of mind with the fans. You could flip that around and say of the 80%+ of teams that haven't gone to the final four, BYU has been good enough to make the tournament more times than any of them. :-) I think the usual loss in the first round is probably a bigger thing in the psyche of the fans. We went 17 years without a win (1993-2010)

    So I agree it makes sense from the emotional state of the fans, and no rational arguments to the contrary is probably going to change any minds. But...I have some empirical data here that tends to show that the bracket matrix historically has given a pretty close approximation of who gets into the tournament and within a couple of seeds of what the committee actually does. Also, it pretty much disproves that BYU gets hosed every time. 2003 and 2004 were terrible when we got those ridiculous 12 seeds. And those pre-date the existence of the matrix. But since those years, it's hard to make the case that the committee hasn't at least been reasonable or fair.

    BYU:
    2006:
    matrix: out of field
    Actual: NIT

    2007:
    Avg seed on matrix: 6
    Actual seed: 8

    2008:
    Avg seed on matrix: 8
    Actual seed: 8

    2009:
    Avg seed on matrix: 8
    Actual seed: 8

    2010:
    Avg seed on matrix: 6
    Actual seed: 7

    2011:
    Avg seed on matrix: 3
    Actual seed: 3

    2012:
    Avg seed on matrix: 12
    Actual seed: 14

    2013:
    matrix: out of field
    Actual seed: NIT

    2014:
    Avg seed on matrix: 12
    Actual seed: 10

    2015:
    Avg seed on matrix: 11
    Actual seed: 11

    2016:
    matrix: out of field
    Actual seed: NIT

    2017:
    matrix: out of field
    Actual seed: NIT

    2018:
    matrix: out of field
    Actual seed: NIT

    2019:
    matrix: out of field
    Actual seed: —
    Last edited by BlueK; 02-25-2020 at 06:46 AM.

  21. #651

    Default

    a lot of views already and no comment. I'm not sure they're getting my joke.

    https://www.cougarboard.com/board/me...ml?id=23233568

  22. #652
    The dude abides Jeff Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The heart of the UC
    Posts
    50,939

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
    I took the bait and googled a Gonzaga board. Page after page of complaining about the refs, sprinkled in with "hardeeharhars" over BYU fans booing calls against the Cougars. Boring.

    As I recall, right out of the chute the game was stopped because Toolson was bleeding after getting clocked on his cheekbone. Was that a BYU hack gone astray? I ask because I don't remember the refs calling a foul over that contact.
    I just read some threads on the Gonzaga board. Wow. Funny stuff.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

  23. #653
    Bald not naked Pelado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The 208
    Posts
    11,996

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    Another update:

    1.8% chance of winning the WCC regular season (including shared title)
    46.0% chance of reaching the Round of 32
    19.2% chance of reaching the Sweet 16
    8.4% chance of reaching the Elite 8
    3.1% chance of reaching the Final Four
    0.4% chance of winning the NCAA tournament.

    Lunardi projecting BYU as a 10-seed (last update was before St Mary's game) - http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...l/bracketology
    Palm projecting BYU as a 11-seed - https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba.../bracketology/
    As of 2/25/2020:

    <0.1% chance of winning the WCC regular season (including shared title)
    72.9% chance of reaching the Round of 32
    37.5% chance of reaching the Sweet 16
    17.2% chance of reaching the Elite 8
    7.2% chance of reaching the Final Four
    1.2% chance of winning the NCAA tournament.

    Lunardi projecting BYU as a 6-seed - http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...l/bracketology
    Palm projecting BYU as a 6-seed - https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba.../bracketology/
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

  24. #654
    Senior Member myboynoah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Land of the Morning Calm
    Posts
    16,245

    Default

    lol

    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

    For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

    Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

  25. #655
    вот так штука CardiacCoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The SLC
    Posts
    10,803

    Default

    That’s awesome. BYU fans are fired up. We want respect!

  26. #656
    Senior Member myboynoah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Land of the Morning Calm
    Posts
    16,245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
    a lot of views already and no comment. I'm not sure they're getting my joke.

    https://www.cougarboard.com/board/me...ml?id=23233568
    I think it is funny.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

    For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

    Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

  27. #657
    Senior Member myboynoah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Land of the Morning Calm
    Posts
    16,245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
    I don't know if the lack of final fours is really top of mind with the fans. You could flip that around and say of the 80%+ of teams that haven't gone to the final four, BYU has been good enough to make the tournament more times than any of them. :-) I think the usual loss in the first round is probably a bigger thing in the psyche of the fans. We went 17 years without a win (1993-2010)

    So I agree it makes sense from the emotional state of the fans, and no rational arguments to the contrary is probably going to change any minds. But...I have some empirical data here that tends to show that the bracket matrix historically has given a pretty close approximation of who gets into the tournament and within a couple of seeds of what the committee actually does. Also, it pretty much disproves that BYU gets hosed every time. 2003 and 2004 were terrible when we got those ridiculous 12 seeds. And those pre-date the existence of the matrix. But since those years, it's hard to make the case that the committee hasn't at least been reasonable or fair.

    BYU:
    2006:
    matrix: out of field
    Actual: NIT

    2007:
    Avg seed on matrix: 6
    Actual seed: 8

    2008:
    Avg seed on matrix: 8
    Actual seed: 8

    2009:
    Avg seed on matrix: 8
    Actual seed: 8

    2010:
    Avg seed on matrix: 6
    Actual seed: 7

    2011:
    Avg seed on matrix: 3
    Actual seed: 3

    2012:
    Avg seed on matrix: 12
    Actual seed: 14

    2013:
    matrix: out of field
    Actual seed: NIT

    2014:
    Avg seed on matrix: 12
    Actual seed: 10

    2015:
    Avg seed on matrix: 11
    Actual seed: 11

    2016:
    matrix: out of field
    Actual seed: NIT

    2017:
    matrix: out of field
    Actual seed: NIT

    2018:
    matrix: out of field
    Actual seed: NIT

    2019:
    matrix: out of field
    Actual seed: —
    Nice work, but still, how happy are you going to be if we average out at a 6 and end up an 8 or 9 in the Kansas quad? I don't think that is out of the realm of possibility.

    I hope to be pleasantly surprised. MVP has surprised me, so I have that going for my expectations.
    Last edited by myboynoah; 02-25-2020 at 07:13 PM.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

    For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

    Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

  28. #658
    Striving for mediocrity Art Vandelay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    9,381

    Default

    This is great. Evan Troy seems like a fun likable kid. Also, more BYU athletes need to follow the example of Dalton and Harding and not Jimmer - date and procreate with fellow athletes, not 4’ cheerleaders.


    https://www.instagram.com/tv/B9Az2K3...d=cjubtnc2q23x


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  29. #659

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
    Nice work, but still, how happy are you going to be if we average out at a 6 and end up an 8 or 9 in the Kansas quad? I don't think that is out of the realm of possibility.

    I hope to be pleasantly surprised. MVP has surprised me, so I have that going for my expectations.
    I wouldn't be happy with that. But I really don't expect it based on the differences in this year's resume compared to past years. BYU fans tend to look only at the ranking, whatever it is they're using (rpi in the past, NET now) and call it good. The problem with that is that the committee doesn't really use those for seeding. What we have in our favor this year is the non-conference SOS. The committee has always loved that, and even gave us the benefit of the doubt because of it in 2014 with a 10 seed when even most of us thought we weren't getting in at all that year, especially considering Kyle Collinsworth had just blown out his knee in the conference tournament. The committee is not really that unpredictable or scary, nor have they been nearly as mean to us as everyone thinks. The exceptions I think were in 2003 and 2004 with those 12 seeds, but that was more than 15 years ago.

    Specifically, as far as the 8/9 seeds are concerned, it would be almost impossible for them to give that to us this year with the teams currently projected to get 1 seeds and the locations and dates. The projected #1s are below. The way it works is that once the committee decides on the 68 teams, then they assign seeds. After that is when they put the teams into the brackets, and the 1s go in first, then all the 2s, and so forth. For the top 4 seeds they try to place them as much as possible in the most natural region and first/second round game locations. Granted, when two 1 seeds are from the same region, the top seeded one will get to play closer to home and the other will have to travel.

    Besides what's in our resume, here is why the 8/9 game is highly unlikely for us as of right now. Here are current projected #1 seeds:

    Gonzaga
    Kansas
    Baylor
    SDSU

    Gonzaga they'll place in Spokane, which is Thurs/Sat. The rules prohibit them from putting us next to them -- same conference.
    Kansas they'll want to place in Omaha, which is Fri/Sun
    SDSU they'll want to place in Sacramento, which is Fri/Sun
    Baylor doesn't have a close natural fit for the first and second round, but as the only southern team, they will want to place them in the South region for the sweet 16/elite 8, which plays on Fri/Sun. So wherever they would place them for the first/second round is going to feed into that region. So we can't be placed next to them either.

    If you want to say they're going to go out of their way to hose us just because it's what they do, then at worst they slide us down to 10, which would be dumb, but not the end of the world. I think 7 is the worst it gets if we beat Pepperdine. And even if we don't, that would only be a Q2 loss, so it wouldn't be that bad.

    Also, the stronger case BYU makes to move up the seedings, the easier the no Sunday play thing gets for the committee to deal with because of the order they place the teams in the brackets. If they're down to placing the double digit seeds, the available slots start to be limited or they have to move a lot more teams around to accommodate. If we're a 6 or a 5, then they have a lot more freedom to put us where it works.
    Last edited by BlueK; 02-26-2020 at 07:41 AM.

  30. #660
    Senior Member myboynoah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Land of the Morning Calm
    Posts
    16,245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
    I wouldn't be happy with that. But I really don't expect it based on the differences in this year's resume compared to past years. BYU fans tend to look only at the ranking, whatever it is they're using (rpi in the past, NET now) and call it good. The problem with that is that the committee doesn't really use those for seeding. What we have in our favor this year is the non-conference SOS. The committee has always loved that, and even gave us the benefit of the doubt because of it in 2014 with a 10 seed when even most of us thought we weren't getting in at all that year, especially considering Kyle Collinsworth had just blown out his knee in the conference tournament. The committee is not really that unpredictable or scary, nor have they been nearly as mean to us as everyone thinks. The exceptions I think were in 2003 and 2004 with those 12 seeds, but that was more than 15 years ago.

    Specifically, as far as the 8/9 seeds are concerned, it would be almost impossible for them to give that to us this year with the teams currently projected to get 1 seeds and the locations and dates. The projected #1s are below. The way it works is that once the committee decides on the 68 teams, then they assign seeds. After that is when they put the teams into the brackets, and the 1s go in first, then all the 2s, and so forth. For the top 4 seeds they try to place them as much as possible in the most natural region and first/second round game locations. Granted, when two 1 seeds are from the same region, the top seeded one will get to play closer to home and the other will have to travel.

    Besides what's in our resume, here is why the 8/9 game is highly unlikely for us as of right now. Here are current projected #1 seeds:

    Gonzaga
    Kansas
    Baylor
    SDSU

    Gonzaga they'll place in Spokane, which is Thurs/Sat. The rules prohibit them from putting us next to them -- same conference.
    Kansas they'll want to place in Omaha, which is Fri/Sun
    SDSU they'll want to place in Sacramento, which is Fri/Sun
    Baylor doesn't have a close natural fit for the first and second round, but as the only southern team, they will want to place them in the South region for the sweet 16/elite 8, which plays on Fri/Sun. So wherever they would place them for the first/second round is going to feed into that region. So we can't be placed next to them either.

    If you want to say they're going to go out of their way to hose us just because it's what they do, then at worst they slide us down to 10, which would be dumb, but not the end of the world. I think 7 is the worst it gets if we beat Pepperdine. And even if we don't, that would only be a Q2 loss, so it wouldn't be that bad.

    Also, the stronger case BYU makes to move up the seedings, the easier the no Sunday play thing gets for the committee to deal with because of the order they place the teams in the brackets. If they're down to placing the double digit seeds, the available slots start to be limited or they have to move a lot more teams around to accommodate. If we're a 6 or a 5, then they have a lot more freedom to put us where it works.
    Dang, okay already.

    All I can say is that I hope you are right.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

    For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

    Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •