Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boys. See. State. Of our program. BYU v. BSU Official Game Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tooblue View Post
    6-straight wins to end the season ... go Cougs!
    Bump

... and, as I posted after the Toledo game, Grimes needs to be on the sideline and not in the box calling plays.

Go Cougars!

Comment

• Bushman: 5 catches, 101 yards, 2 TDs. Fantastic game for him.
      "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Finau had himself a nice game.

Comment

• That was a fun game. I love everyone everywhere!

Comment

• Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
            I still don’t understand why the mathematically correct call is ballsy.
            You’re thinking of a stupid call that ended up working out. That’s different from a good call where the stakes are high.
            τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0zRW-A5aDuU

Comment

• Originally posted by All-American View Post
                You’re thinking of a stupid call that ended up working out. That’s different from a good call where the stakes are high.
                Huh?

I’m thinking that for some reason punting is always considered “safe” even when it increases the probability of losing the game and going for it is always considered “risky” even when it increases the probability of winning the game.

We won the game because of the earlier 4th and 1 call that ended up in the TD to Bushman. That wasn’t risky either, was in fact the safer call if the risk of which we speak is the risk of losing the game.

For the record, even if we failed on any of those 4th downs I would still call them the correct and less risky calls.

Comment

• I had to get on a long flight and turned off my phone right after BSU scored on the opening drive. After touching down a few minutes ago I thought the ESPN headline was a cruel joke. How exceedingly great was my joy when I confirmed the win. Reading through this manic-depressive thread was way more entertaining than I expected an hour ago.

Comment

• Boys. See. State. Of our program. BYU v. BSU Official Game Thread.

Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                    Huh?

I’m thinking that for some reason punting is always considered “safe” even when it increases the probability of losing the game and going for it is always considered “risky” even when it increases the probability of winning the game.

We won the game because of the earlier 4th and 1 call that ended up in the TD to Bushman. That wasn’t risky either, was in fact the safer call if the risk of which we speak is the risk of losing the game.

For the record, even if we failed on any of those 4th downs I would still call them the correct and less risky calls.
                    Look, we agree on the main point you are making: going for it is seen as the safe, conservative route, when in fact it is often the choice that gives you the lower likelihood of winning the game (as was the case both times we went for it on 4th). I keep that graph from the article that tells you when to punt, kick, and go for it nearby at all times and wish coaches would do the same.

That it was the right call, even without the benefit of hindsight, does not mean it was not also a bold, high-stakes decision, especially to the extent it runs counter to the very trend you are taking about.
                    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• What's up with this? She's wearing red.

Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                        What's up with this? She's wearing red.

She apologized on Twitter. It was a cold night. I don’t blame her for bringing her warmest coat, no matter the color.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                          She apologized on Twitter. It was a cold night. I don’t blame her for bringing her warmest coat, no matter the color.
                          Then I accept her apology.

She totally outdanced that stupid uofutah crazy lady.
                          Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Liz Darger said BYU will be getting her a new jacket.
                            "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                            -Turtle
                            sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                              What's up with this? She's wearing red.

Wow, that lady is... awesome!
                              "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

Did she explain what she was doing? I wasn't sure if she was trying to signal "go that way" to the offense, saying it was a first down, or directing someone in another section which way to walk to get to the person they were looking for. I never would've thought to call that a "dance".

Comment

Working...
                                X