Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you been fired from a dead-end job?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you been fired from a dead-end job?

Please share a story or two....
    Yes
    33.33%
    No
    66.67%
    We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

when i was out of work several years ago, i didn't have anything better to do, so i was helping a guy with a start up doing sales. for the first two or three months, the company wasn't making any money, so despite working full time hours, i hadn't been paid at all for my efforts. that was fine, it's what i'd expected. didn't have anything better to do, and i thought it could perhaps turn into something worthwhile.

to make a long story short, after about 3 months of pounding the pavement, the dude brought me in to his home office and accused me of lying about something (can't remember what at this point). i told him he was full of shit. he told me i was fired. i said, in a snarky tone - "can you fire a volunteer? like, is that a thing?" his face got bright red, he said some unkind things and ended with "get out of my house!". i laughed at him and went my merry way. huge douchebag. to this day one of the most unimpressive people i've ever known.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
      when i was out of work several years ago, i didn't have anything better to do, so i was helping a guy with a start up doing sales. for the first two or three months, the company wasn't making any money, so despite working full time hours, i hadn't been paid at all for my efforts. that was fine, it's what i'd expected. didn't have anything better to do, and i thought it could perhaps turn into something worthwhile.

to make a long story short, after about 3 months of pounding the pavement, the dude brought me in to his home office and accused me of lying about something (can't remember what at this point). i told him he was full of shit. he told me i was fired. i said, in a snarky tone - "can you fire a volunteer? like, is that a thing?" his face got bright red, he said some unkind things and ended with "get out of my house!". i laughed at him and went my merry way. huge douchebag. to this day one of the most unimpressive people i've ever known.
      And today, that company is called Vivent.
      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
        And today, that company is called Vivent.
        And still hasn't made a cent.

Vivint, on the other hand, is doing quite well.
        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Never been fired [knock on wood]
          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

I've been fired twice from good jobs that I had worked at for years, never from a dead-end job. I guess because I've never had a dead-end job.

I'll be glad to relate the stories if a few people request me to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
              And still hasn't made a cent.

Vivint, on the other hand, is doing quite well.

Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
              I've been fired twice from good jobs that I had worked at for years, never from a dead-end job. I guess because I've never had a dead-end job.

I'll be glad to relate the stories if a few people request me to do so.
              Do share.
              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

I haven't ever been fired either.

I'm probably currently in the job I'm most likely to be fired in. If I make it the next 18 months, I think I'll be OK for as long as I want to be here. But the next 18 months could bring some tense moments.

Comment

When I was 13, I was given a part time job to clean up trash in a carport. I got a broom and boy, did I make it look good. But I was let go because they wanted a larger area cleaned up. I'm still not clear what they were looking for.

Comment

My first programming job while I was in college was part-time. It was definitely a sweat-shop. I was making $7 an hour and asked for a raise to $7.50. They said no. So I went and found a new job and gave a two-week notice. I'm not sure why I even gave a two-week notice, I shouldn't have even been that polite.

On my last day of work, this chick in Product Management, who had always been rude to me and the other part-time sweatshop programmers, asked me to help her out with something. I said, "Why should I? You've always treated me and the others like dirt.". She went and complained to management and they "fired" me on my very last day. The only time in my life I've ever been fired.

Comment

I was fired from a telephone call-bank job either the summer before my mission or the summer after (hard to believe my memory is getting so bad). It is a long-ish story but the tl;dr version is that I started figuring out that the business was selling a fraudulent product and having done so I asked my manager pointed questions about it. At the end of that day he popped by my station and said "Don't come back tomorrow. I need team players." He also handed me a cash payment for my work to that point, which was weird.

*this description is not intended to be precise or word for word. Just the general idea. The longer version is very dramatic, purts me in a very positive and fraud fighting light, and can put even chronic insomniacs to sleep.
                      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Working...
                      X