Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The $h#& you see on craigslist...

UofU/BYU mixed marriage Scott R Nelson's Avatar

Default Craigslist - At least half seem to be flakes there

I don't use craiglist very often, but it has worked out a few times to buy and sell motorcycles, parts, and riding gear. I have learned to assume as a buyer or a seller than at least half of the people I'll be dealing with there will be flakes.

Lately I've only used it to find a new home for free stuff. Usually once my stack of empty moving boxes gets past 20 out in the garage I'll place a free stuff ad and someone will happily come claim them. It usually works well for furniture items too.

This week I'm replacing a tree in my front yard. It's an eight foot tall blue spruce that surely will be growing into my house in ten years, so I'll be putting a more normal tree in its place. I didn't want to destroy the tree if somebody else could use it, so I wrote up a craigslist ad offering it free to anybody who would come help me dig it up. It would be a lot more work to save the root ball of the tree than to destroy it.

BlueSpruce.jpg

I didn't want to include my phone or address, so it was a two step process, answer by email, I'll send a phone number, then call to make arrangements. I had four responses from enthusiastic people before pulling the ad. I sent the first one my phone number, waiting for a call - nothing. Sent my number to the second one - nothing. Wrote up a new message and sent it to all four - nothing.

So I cut up the tree to make it easier to take out by myself, got it out of there, and never did hear from anybody. I knew going in that this could happen, but it's still annoying to get four flakes who claimed they wanted it, but couldn't be bothered to make a phone call as the second step.

At least now I don't feel as bad about cutting up the tree - I tried.

Bump
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Bump
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Bump

Bump

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
    So I cut up the tree to make it easier to take out by myself, got it out of there, and never did hear from anybody. I knew going in that this could happen, but it's still annoying to get four flakes who claimed they wanted it, but couldn't be bothered to make a phone call as the second step.

At least now I don't feel as bad about cutting up the tree - I tried.
    Why didn't you just wait for christmas and cut it down and take into the house?

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

BTW, what's up with all the craigslist threads?
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

UofU/BYU mixed marriage Scott R Nelson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    BTW, what's up with all the craigslist threads?
    There was nothing more recent than 2011, which is why I started a new one.

Didn't find "The official craigslist thread" or anything in there.

Strikes and Gutters chrisrenrut's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    Bump
    I may be in the minority, but I think bumping 5 old threads is way more annoying than someone starting one new one.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    I may be in the minority, but I think bumping 5 old threads is way more annoying than someone starting one new one.
    It's just another quirk that I love about this place. Embrace it.

Definitely should have put the rant about flakes on Craigslist in this thread about meeting women.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    Bump
    What happens in Vegas - stays in Vegas.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
    -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    I’m in the minority with you. Never understood the thread nazi tendencies.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Lol.

babs sighting

Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Lied View Post
    babs sighting
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

I think that's just babs-bot.
    Last edited by falafel; 10-28-2019 at 04:48 PM.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Striving for mediocrity Art Vandelay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Babs View Post
    Lol.
    Posted when she saw OU was only a 30.5 favorite in Manhattan. Does Vegas not know who Lincoln Reilly is?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Babs View Post
    Lol.
    The same letters but the sad laugh of "When did one of the Stoops brothers take over the defense?". First the beloved Schooner, then the season....

I appreciate the powers that be making the official merged Craigslist thread the one that starts by my confession that I don't know how to use it.

I wasn't even that old when this thread started!