October 2019 General Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
    It shouldn't. Stop being lazy and get up on time.
    I haven’t been late to church in 19.5 years and none of my kids have been late either. I don’t care if people with small children are late.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      I have never seen one of our deacons go back for bread and take it to someone who is late in a case like this.
      Me neither. We once had some people show up late and miss the sacrament. After the meeting they came up to the stand and asked if they could partake of the sacrament. I said “sure, follow me” and I went over to the sacrament altar and grabbed a bread and water tray and held it out. They seemed to be taken back as they explained they were expecting a sort of quasi ceremony in a separate room. I explained that the emblems were blessed already and it would be just as effective like this than in a separate service. They took the bread and water and then went to SS class.
      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Being irritated that the same people repeatedly come to church late, whether church is at 9, 10:30, or 12:00 p.m., and still being glad those late people came even if they're late, are not mutually exclusive.

Comment

No.

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
          wow, that is a lot.

we have 2 deacons, next year we will have 3.
          Similar for our ward. Often have MP's passing.
          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Dear President Bednar,

The Elders in my district are all fire and brimstone this P-Day morning. Conference caught hold their hearts, and they're ready to not only convert the wicked in our district, but they want to exact revenge on mothers in the branch for being late for the Sacrament. So - for our district meeting tomorrow - I'm going to take them to see Downton Abbey at the Baghdad Theater to bring them back down a notch or two. It's a balance to be sure - that Michelle Dockery is a fine looking woman and will bring out their lustful nature, and yet she's wholesome enough to bring home to mother. I just want my Elders to be on an even keel and know that the love of Jesus in their heart is number one - and when they've accomplished that - they'll be less likely to stir up trouble with the local members. Downton Abbey is just the ticket.

I appreciate you sending Elder Funk to be my companion as a last measure before sending him home in disgrace. I'm not sure he's making any progress under my stewardship. This past week I caught him looking at magazine covers in the grocery store, and he asked if it was OK to buy a People Magazine. I told him no - but I let him get a comic book with some Japanese animal people stuff. Something about the kids game "hide and seek." I don't know - he's disconcerting - his prayer's are all over the place, and half the time he just says amen at the end - like some sort of feral cat. At a dinner appointment last week he was looking at the daughter of Brother and Sister Zingelmeyer like he was Aqua Lung, and his nose started to run, and he didn't even wipe it away. And yet - I've come to love him. Not because Jesus says I'll go to hell if I don't - but he bakes the most delicious Bundt Cake - and gives me the most sublime back rubs. Don't send him home just yet - I think I can help him more.

Say hello to Sister Bednar for me, and tell her that her testimony at the latest Zone Conference was most appreciated.

Regards,

elder clackamascoug

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
            -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

• Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
              What differences seem to be significant?
              Well. I see a difference between being asked if you are honest in your dealings with your fellow man and striving to be honest in all that you do. The latter is very forgiving.
              "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                Dear President Bednar

Comment

I appreciate you sending Elder Funk to be my companion - [he] gives me the most sublime back rubs. Don't send him home just yet.
                  Sounds like you are both about to get sent home!
                  "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    I have never seen one of our deacons go back for bread and take it to someone who is late in a case like this.
                    Just happened in our ward last week. I think it is pretty entitled. But I am judgey that way.

Comment

I'll bet those same parents get their kids to school each day on time... before 9 am.
                      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Agreed

Comment

• When my kids were small we still got to Church 20 minutes before it starts. Even if I was in PEC or Ward Council my wife was able to do it herself. It is like anything...if it is important enough to you, you can make it happen.

Bishop in my last ward was adamant on everything being done on-time. There were two times that we passed the sacrament between the adult speakers because the bread wasn't there yet. I admire that kinda stuff.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
                            What differences seem to be significant?
                            The apostate affiliation question seems significant. It goes from support/affiliation with any group to support/promote teachings, practices, or doctrine contrary to the COJCOLDS, which is a significant broadening of the question, IMO.
                            Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Dear President Bednar,

The Elders in my district are all fire and brimstone this P-Day morning. Conference caught hold their hearts, and they're ready to not only convert the wicked in our district, but they want to exact revenge on mothers in the branch for being late for the Sacrament. So - for our district meeting tomorrow - I'm going to take them to see Downton Abbey at the Baghdad Theater to bring them back down a notch or two. It's a balance to be sure - that Michelle Dockery is a fine looking woman and will bring out their lustful nature, and yet she's wholesome enough to bring home to mother. I just want my Elders to be on an even keel and know that the love of Jesus in their heart is number one - and when they've accomplished that - they'll be less likely to stir up trouble with the local members. Downton Abbey is just the ticket.

I appreciate you sending Elder Funk to be my companion as a last measure before sending him home in disgrace. I'm not sure he's making any progress under my stewardship. This past week I caught him looking at magazine covers in the grocery store, and he asked if it was OK to buy a People Magazine. I told him no - but I let him get a comic book with some Japanese animal people stuff. Something about the kids game "hide and seek." I don't know - he's disconcerting - his prayer's are all over the place, and half the time he just says amen at the end - like some sort of feral cat. At a dinner appointment last week he was looking at the daughter of Brother and Sister Zingelmeyer like he was Aqua Lung, and his nose started to run, and he didn't even wipe it away. And yet - I've come to love him. Not because Jesus says I'll go to hell if I don't - but he bakes the most delicious Bundt Cake - and gives me the most sublime back rubs. Don't send him home just yet - I think I can help him more.

Say hello to Sister Bednar for me, and tell her that her testimony at the latest Zone Conference was most appreciated.

Regards,

elder clackamascoug

Comment

Dear President Bednar,
                                This is the best one yet. Does your mission president ever respond or all these all one-way correspondence?
                                "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
                                "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
                                This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
                                "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
                                "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

Working...
                                X