Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
    c
    What differences seem to be significant?
    We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Comment

‘AIS’ (ass-in-seat) time was before the opening hymn started, even at 9am and when a parent was at ward council/PEC. Don’t know why you milquetoast members have a problem with that.
      "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
      "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
      - SeattleUte

Comment

I'm curious how this budget thing will be described to leaders on a local level.

Our last 3 bishops have all take the approach of "plan what activities you want to do for the year. Put a price tag on them. Add up all the price tags. Submit that as your budget. If we have a problem with the activity or the price tag, we'll let you know."

This sounds more like each organization will simply be given a portion of the budget and told to do whatever they want with it.

Honestly - I like the way our ward has done it. I like there being a plan. Maybe because it drives the organizations to consider what they really want to do. Bishops have always allowed a little extra built in for "activity supplies" for the YW/YM. Maybe I like there being a plan because I don't like it when it feels like more often than not the youth groups are trying to come up with the coming week's activity during their Sunday meeting if they don't have a plan.

But maybe that's just me.

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
          9am gets a pass for families with many small kids.
          Small kids wake up at the crack of dawn anyways. That was the easiest time to make it to 9AM church on time. Teenagers are the biggest inhibitor. Luckily we live close enough that we can make them walk if they are late and our oldest can drive.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
            What differences seem to be significant?
            They can all be interpreted fairly loosely but, "Do you support or promote any teachings, practices or doctrine contrary..." is different than, "...any group or individual whose teachings...". I'm not sure which one is more strict--"affiliate with" is a pretty broad brush that could easily loop in any with family members with dissenting viewpoints. Now you can hang out on CS without repercussions as long as you avoid supporting and/or promoting!

Comment

Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
              9 AM doesn't get a pass. Church starts at the same time every week. Get up a little earlier and help get the kids ready. Easy enough.
              Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
              ‘AIS’ (ass-in-seat) time was before the opening hymn started, even at 9am and when a parent was at ward council/PEC. Don’t know why you milquetoast members have a problem with that.
              Not an every week pass, but on occasion. Even then, what was it that one of the GAs (Faust, I think) always used to say, "Err on the side of mercy." I am very strict, to the point of causing conflict with my wife about being on time, but I don't think it is that big of a deal for the deacon to go back and get the bread for someone who is making the effort to renew their covenants. Whether their effort is sufficient is not for me to determine but is between them and the Lord.
              “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

I have never seen one of our deacons go back for bread and take it to someone who is late in a case like this.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                  I have never seen one of our deacons go back for bread and take it to someone who is late in a case like this.
                  Neither have I.
                  One of the grandest benefits of the enlightenment was the realization that our moral sense must be based on the welfare of living individuals, not on their immortal souls. Honest and passionate folks can strongly disagree regarding spiritual matters, so it's imperative that we not allow such considerations to infringe on the real happiness of real people.

Woot

I believe religion has much inherent good and has born many good fruits.
                  SU

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    Me neither. And I don't ever foresee it happening in our ward. The bishopric is trying to reduce the time it takes to pass as much as possible.

They even tell the deacons to not come up to the front and relieve any teachers from passing duty when they show up after the opening hymn has started because of the disruption.

We have 24 deacons and 12 that pass. Them not showing up on time is an issue. Next year we will have 35 deacons and move to 10:30, so I imagine we shouldn't have any problem having 12 show up on time.

Comment

• Originally posted by beefytee View Post
                      Me neither. And I don't ever foresee it happening in our ward. The bishopric is trying to reduce the time it takes to pass as much as possible.

They even tell the deacons to not come up to the front and relieve any teachers from passing duty when they show up after the opening hymn has started because of the disruption.

We have 24 deacons and 12 that pass. Them not showing up on time is an issue. Next year we will have 35 deacons and move to 10:30, so I imagine we shouldn't have any problem having 12 show up on time.
                      wow, that is a lot.

we have 2 deacons, next year we will have 3.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                        wow, that is a lot.

we have 2 deacons, next year we will have 3.
                        Yeah - this is us too. In combination, we typically have enough YM to do the sacrament themselves. But sometimes we get an elder to help. That means 2-3 priests at the table and 5-6 other YM passing.

Comment

• What a bunch of angry old men - and their love of being on time. I'm glad people come to church, and if they're a little late - I'm still glad they came. Part of my service to the church is to accommodate people on their level. Since I'm a future celestial being in training I understand that I'm in control of me - and my job is to help others to eventually become as cool as I am. Ridiculing and belittling is not part of the Jesus code of grown men. If you need them on time to satisfy your souls - show up at their house and get their kids dressed for them and warm up their car. Maybe if you got there a little early - you could also serve them breakfast.

We had a lady in our ward that dressed her kids on Saturday night and let them sleep in their clothes so they be ready in the morning. They all looked wrinkled - but they were on time.
                          Last edited by clackamascoug; 10-07-2019, 09:53 AM.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                          -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

• Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                            What a bunch of angry old men - and their love of being on time. I'm glad people come to church, and if they're a little late - I'm still glad they came. Part of my service to the church is to accommodate people on their level. Since I'm a future celestial being in training I understand that I'm in control of me - and my job is to help others to eventually become as cool as I am.
                            Careful there, amigo. You are going to dislocate your shoulder patting yourself on the back like that.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• Originally posted by beefytee View Post

Yeah, we have a big ward too and it takes forever to pass the sacrament. They don't finish until 30-35 minutes into the meeting, leaving precious little time for talks. Would be incredibly selfish for someone to delay it further.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                                Careful there, amigo. You are going to dislocate your shoulder patting yourself on the back like that.
                                What are you talking about? I've never been on time once in the last twenty three years.

I'm trying to get someone to cook me breakfast.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                                -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Working...
                                X