Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: October 2019 General Conference

Default October 2019 General Conference

Post your thoughts and observations here.

Kanye in SLC today. Good for him.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Was it a good idea to kickoff with Elder Holland? Or can we just call it good and all go home at this point, cause that was wonderful, and anything more is just going to be downhill?

My 9-yr-old filled out her favorite quote square on the bingo card "less wi-fi, more Nephi."
    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Student View Post
    My 9-yr-old filled out her favorite quote square on the bingo card "less wi-fi, more Nephi."
    Did she replace it with "fair dinkum"?

Fun fact: Steve Owen is the founder of the Great Harvest Bread Company.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Post your thoughts and observations here.

Kanye in SLC today. Good for him.
    He's probably at his place in Jackson and needed to do some grocery shopping.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    He's doing a Sunday Service at the Gateway between sessions.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

Interesting talk by Oaks. Of course, I won't know if what he said about doctrine is doctrine until he becomes President, dies, and he is quoted by subsequent Prophets.

Quote Originally Posted by LVAllen View Post
    Interesting talk by Oaks. Of course, I won't know if what he said about doctrine is doctrine until he becomes President, dies, and he is quoted by subsequent Prophets.
    Good practical talk.

Solid first session.

Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    Cody
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Princeps Inter Pares

President Nelson to give an address AFTER Elder Bednar during the Saturday afternoon session. Something is about to happen.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Quote Originally Posted by All-American View Post
    President Nelson to give an address AFTER Elder Bednar during the Saturday afternoon session. Something is about to happen.
    Probably some minor administrative changed that will be talked about as a major change based on revelation from God.
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

Princeps Inter Pares

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
    Probably some minor administrative changed that will be talked about as a major change based on revelation from God.
    Funk, I like you. You’re a good man.

Please think about whether this is the time and place.

So were all the Area Authoities released? That was a long list.

Funk, I like you. You’re a good man.

Please think about whether this is the time and place.
    No matter what I do, I'm going to be called the bitter apostate, so I might as well play the part.

I'll step out though, I'm probably a little too salty based in Oaks latest comments this week.
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Princeps Inter Pares

Cook with the fire hose. But among other things he just announced the budget would be divided equitably between YM and YW based on numbers of members.

Not sure what to make of some of the announced changes. Some of it seems like change for the sake of change, at least as it pertains to this administration’s fixation on vernacular.

Happy to see the Stake YM, YW, and SS presidencies disbanded. That was long overdue.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Cook with the fire hose. But among other things he just announced the budget would be divided equitably between YM and YW based on numbers of members.
    Sister Diddley gave a cheer when she heard that.

Yeah, but he also announced the greater role of the stake level folks in activities. Unless this is accompanied by an increase in the ward budget, expect a slashing of the ward youth budgets as the stake withholds a greater portion of the ward budget allowance. But hey, it'll be equal.

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    Not sure what to make of some of the announced changes. Some of it seems like change for the sake of change, at least as it pertains to this administration’s fixation on vernacular.

Happy to see the Stake YM, YW, and SS presidencies disbanded. That was long overdue.
    Only ward YM presidencies got kicked to the curb. Stake levels are still there.

That was a little bewildering. I need a written summary.

Yeah, but he also announced the greater role of the stake level folks in activities. Unless this is accompanied by an increase in the ward budget, expect a slashing of the ward youth budgets as the stake withholds a greater portion of the ward budget allowance. But hey, it'll be equal.
    Some stakes will no doubt do better jobs at dividing funds than others. This is similar to how we manage our budget in the military. Sometimes the training is collective, and sometimes separately. It takes time and experience to understand how to balance use of funds. So expect there to be a learning curve just as there likely is for those who now control the budget.

Philosopher of Men Sleeping in EQ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post

Please share the changes.
    We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
    Please share the changes.
    https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist...-organizations

No there's change there too. Members of the HC will function as stake YM and SS presidents.

Yeah, I heard that wrong. President will be a HC but the presidency will still exist. Too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
    No matter what I do, I'm going to be called the bitter apostate, so I might as well play the part.

I'll step out though, I'm probably a little too salty based in Oaks latest comments this week.
    Look, you're kind of being a dick. That's the best reason to step out.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Quote Originally Posted by SCcoug View Post
    No there's change there too. Members of the HC will function as stake YM and SS presidents.
    Right. But there will still be presidencies, so the only thing that's changed at the stake level is the number of potential candidates to serve as the SYMP and SSSP.

What it means is that perhaps now Wards will function as they were always meant to: The EQ President and Relief Society president will minister to and take care of the adult members of the Ward, allowing the Bishop (and his councilors) to focus on the youth, act as a judge in Israel, manage Ward finances and meet the welfare needs of the congregation.