Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: October 2019 General Conference

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
    I won't be leaving, but I will not engage in any discussions about religion on this site.

I'll probably just post about Pokemon Go and my weekly prediction of BYU losing.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Quote Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
    I absolutely will discuss the coaching career of one Anthony LaRussa, Jr. Do you remember the time he risked the long term health of his best asset, Albert Pujols, for a meaningless early season game?
    Uh, he gave Albert explicit instructions to relay all throws underhanded to Jimmy Edmonds.

Wait....funk is on the mothership? I knew there was something redeeming about funk other than providing spot on in-game assessments of whether to kill a coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Wait....funk is on the mothership? I knew there was something redeeming about funk other than providing spot on in-game assessments of whether to kill a coach.
    There is no Doobie in my funk.
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

Quote Originally Posted by SCcoug View Post
    c

I am not sure about the new "Do you understand and obey the Word of Wisdom?" one. I guess my answer will be "Yes, I understand it is not a commandment and that we all don't follow the recommendations very well."
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

I haven't kept up with the discussion.

I may be wrong on this, but I always thought the "affiliation" TR question was really just to smoke out the polygamists. As it was applied, I think the scope of enforcement was limited. A Snufferite, an FLDS, or someone who joined a group that is overtly antagonistic to the Church would find themselves in deep do-do.

It will be interesting to see how the new rule is applied, I suppose. I could see the scope of its influence being roughly the same, but I think it has potential to go far beyond application of the old question.

If I get on Facebook and overtly support trans rights, do I run afoul of this question? I didn't with the old question, but I think I'm firmly in the gray area now.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Quote Originally Posted by Green Monstah View Post
    I haven't kept up with the discussion.

I may be wrong on this, but I always thought the "affiliation" TR question was really just to smoke out the polygamists. As it was applied, I think the scope of enforcement was limited. A Snufferite, an FLDS, or someone who joined a group that is overtly antagonistic to the Church would find themselves in deep do-do.

It will be interesting to see how the new rule is applied, I suppose. I could see the scope of its influence being roughly the same, but I think it has potential to go far beyond application of the old question.

If I get on Facebook and overtly support trans rights, do I run afoul of this question? I didn't with the old question, but I think I'm firmly in the gray area now.
    Yeah, that is another one makes we scratch my head. I do support same sex marriage and have been to a few of those weddings for friends. So does it come down to giving up my friends?

I do like they dropped the "wearing garments night and day" temple covenant. I don't recall agreeing to that anyway.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

The church is against trans people having rights? That's new to me.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    Yeah, that is another one makes we scratch my head. I do support same sex marriage and have been to a few of those weddings for friends. So does it come down to giving up my friends?

I do like they dropped the "wearing garments night and day" temple covenant. I don't recall agreeing to that anyway.
    support means to take action in some way. unless you are actively campaigning for gay marriage, giving financially to gay marriage advocates, etc, you're golden.

agree with and support are two entirely different things.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    support means to take action in some way. unless you are actively campaigning for gay marriage, giving financially to gay marriage advocates, etc, you're golden.

agree with and support are two entirely different things.
    Hmm, does donating cash to and voting for and hoping that a candidate that supports gay marriage rise to the level of support?

If gay marriage were in the ballot in TX, I’d probably support it with a political sign in my yard. I wonder if that would cross the line.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Guys, Elder Christofferson addressed this issue directly back in 2015:

https://archive.sltrib.com/article.p...74&itype=CMSID

An LDS apostle reaffirmed recently that Mormons who support gay marriage are not in danger of losing their temple privileges or church memberships — even though the Utah-based faith opposes the practice.

In an interview Friday with KUTV in Salt Lake City, Elder D. Todd Christofferson said that individuals in the 15 million-member Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints would be in trouble only for "supporting organizations that promote opposition or positions in opposition to the church's."

Backing marriage equality on social media sites, including on Facebook or Twitter, "is not an organized effort to attack our effort," Christofferson said in the interview, "or our functioning as a church."
    He was asked about Latter-day Saints who support same-sex marriage privately among family and friends or publicly by posting entries on Facebook, marching in pride parades or belonging to gay-friendly organizations such as Affirmation or Mormons Building Bridges? Can they do so without the threat of losing their church membership or temple privileges?

"We have individual members in the church with a variety of different opinions, beliefs and positions on these issues and other issues," Christofferson said. " ... In our view, it doesn't really become a problem unless someone is out attacking the church and its leaders — if that's a deliberate and persistent effort and trying to get others to follow them, trying to draw others away, trying to pull people, if you will, out of the church or away from its teachings and doctrines."
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    Hmm, does donating cash to and voting for and hoping that a candidate that supports gay marriage rise to the level of support?

If gay marriage were in the ballot in TX, I’d probably support it with a political sign in my yard. I wonder if that would cross the line.
    that's a good question, but based on the D. Todd quotes lebowski posted, you're still golden.

now, the question is, is every SP or Bishop out there on the same page - are they aware or do they remember he said that? would you have to pull that quote out of your back pocket if you "fail" the interview? "but, president, DTC said this..."
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

What about my LDS friends that donated to the Beto campaign? Does the bishop need to take away their TRs?
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

What about my LDS friends that donated to the Beto campaign? Does the bishop need to take away their TRs?
    "We have individual members in the church with a variety of different opinions, beliefs and positions on these issues and other issues," Christofferson said. " ... In our view, it doesn't really become a problem unless someone is out attacking the church and its leaders — if that's a deliberate and persistent effort and trying to get others to follow them, trying to draw others away, trying to pull people, if you will, out of the church or away from its teachings and doctrines."
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

If one can vote for Trump and keep a TR, there should be not problem with Beto.

If one can vote for Trump and keep a TR, there should be not problem with Beto.
    So my employer will match like 3-to-1 my donations to a lot of different LGBTQ organizations. So maybe I should find one that is pushing for dropping the tax-exempt status of non-profits that are against same-sex marriage... this should help get BYU into a P5 sooner rather than later.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    that's a good question, but based on the D. Todd quotes lebowski posted, you're still golden.

now, the question is, is every SP or Bishop out there on the same page - are they aware or do they remember he said that? would you have to pull that quote out of your back pocket if you "fail" the interview? "but, president, DTC said this..."
    Yep, the ambiguity in the question and the fact that few leaders know about the quote bring us back to leadership roulette. However, I’d never answer “yes” to that question so I won’t have an issue but I can see others having an issue. Why make the TR process harder than it needs to be.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

The church is against trans people having rights? That's new to me.
    Fair. If I go online and support trans rights in the church (i.e priesthood and temple blessings).

Fair. If I go online and support trans rights in the church (i.e priesthood and temple blessings).
    I think that would depend on your tone and methods.

Nice for the Church to make sure that important doctrinal clarification is right there on archive.sltrib.com for anybody to read and reference if they need help understanding the new TR questions.

Quote Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
    Nice for the Church to make sure that important doctrinal clarification is right there on archive.sltrib.com for anybody to read and reference if they need help understanding the new TR questions.
    LOL.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

When not even a stake president knows what the current ruling is, how can a lay person know what the church's stance is on a social issue so he can align with it? I think it will more and more come to- believe what you want just don't actively tear the church down, and don't actively try to dissuade someone from leaving.

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Lied View Post
    When not even a stake president knows what the current ruling is, how can a lay person know what the church's stance is on a social issue so he can align with it? I think it will more and more come to- believe what you want just don't actively tear the church down, and don't actively try to dissuade someone from leaving.
    Huh?
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Lied View Post
    If you are sitting around waiting for someone in SLC to tell you what to think, you're doing it wrong. You're responsible for your own salvation, so seek it out.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    If you are sitting around waiting for someone in SLC to tell you what to think, you're doing it wrong. You're responsible for your own salvation, so seek it out.
    Work out your salvation and use your own wits to interpret our rules, unless we interpret them for you. Then, you must follow our interpretation.

Or you can do what I do, just tell them the answer they want to hear.

Work out your salvation and use your own wits to interpret our rules, unless we interpret them for you. Then, you must follow our interpretation.

Right. The only alternative. And I suppose you, of all people, sit around and wait for SLC to tell you what to think?

We all have to decide what we think and believe. God gave us brains that think and reason.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

That’s a very cynical take.

Princeps Inter Pares

That’s a very cynical take.
    Yeah, GM. Be mindful of where you are. This is not the right place for cynicism.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν