No announcement yet.

Where were you on 9/11?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was driving my kid to school and turned on the radio. By the time I got home and turned on the TV, the second tower had already been hit.

Still makes me sick to think about it.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

In my apartment on condo row. My roomate came into my bedroom and said that a plane had crashed into world trade center. I got up and turned on the news. I saw the second plane hit live and was in shock the rest of the day. Certainly didn't go to class, just sat in front of the tube. My dad is a retired United airline pilot and I knew he was flying that day, so that didn't make things any better...

I don't know if it was just in my little world, but I noticed that there were people around who didn't even realy seemed that fazed by it. Barely watched the news and just proceeded as normal. I couldn't do it.

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
        It's interesting how, with only a very few events in life, pretty much everyone knows where they were and what they were doing at the time. Certainly 9/11 was one of those. I'd start a thread for JFK's assassination, but I suppose only BYU71, and maybe LAUte, would join me. FTR, I was in 6th grade, late morning, and Jan Gates ran into our room screaming "President Kennedy has been shot!"

The moon walk (Armstrong's, not Jackson's) may be the only other event shared pretty much internationally in my lifetime.

The Challenger disaster may be another one.

Comment

Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
          The Challenger disaster may be another one.
          That is probably the only other one in my lifetime.
          "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

It's interesting how, with only a very few events in life, pretty much everyone knows where they were and what they were doing at the time. Certainly 9/11 was one of those. I'd start a thread for JFK's assassination, but I suppose only BYU71, and maybe LAUte, would join me. FTR, I was in 6th grade, late morning, and Jan Gates ran into our room screaming "President Kennedy has been shot!"

The moon walk (Armstrong's, not Jackson's) may be the only other event shared pretty much internationally in my lifetime.
            At the time I was a huge JFK fan, not so much anymore. I was Jr. in High School in shop class. I was always in a very frustrated and angry mood when I was in that class anyway.

Someone came in and said Kennedy was shot. Some nit wit behind me said, "I hope he's dead" and instinctively I swung around and nailed him. It broke up pretty quick and I didn't get in trouble. We went into an assembly about 30 minutes later and all I remember about that was all the girls were balling or at least it seemed that way.

We were in the state championship game the next day and they decided to have it. I think that is the first time in my life I spent a lot of time watching TV.

Comment

Both Space Shuttle explosions also...

Comment

I was at my dad's house (in Oregon -this was only a few months after my hs graduation and my parents divorce) and he woke me up early at about 6 am or something I think to tell me what was going on. While he was getting ready for work I watched, I even saw the second plane hit the second tower live. I remember screaming yo my dad that it happened again. We couldn't believe it. He went to work, and about 5 days later finally disconnected my television in my room. I couldn't stop watching, he said he was worried about me. Days and days of footage from the wreckage and replays of the planes, the families searching for missing loved ones, I was addicted. I actually kept the newspapers from that time. I am glad I did. It will be something to show my grandkids.
                I am a philosophical Goldilocks, always looking for something neither too big nor too small, neither too hot nor too cold, something jussssst right. I'll send you a card from purgatory. - PAC

You know how President Hinckley said he doesn't worry about those who pray? The same can be said for men who are self-aware enough to know when there's a life to be lived outside of the world of video games. - Anonymous

Comment

Woke up, flipped on the TV to listen to news while I got ready for school, and then was late to Dr. Hanstaad's class because I was watching the coverage.
                  So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

[YOUTUBE]VJ_E7Vce8vU[/YOUTUBE]

Comment

Originally posted by marsupial View Post
                      Well, I remember that a week or two earlier some kid stole a plane and crashed it into a building. I remember thinking at first (not having sound on the TV) that it was another one of those situations.
                      Yes I remember that as well. It was in Miami, Florida I think...

Comment

I was asleep in bed in my 400 sq. ft. apartment in south Provo. I had been married for about 3 weeks at the time, and my wife had gotten up and gone to work or school for her class. I was sleeping through my class, as I recall. She called me to see if I had heard, and I remember being worried that she was going to be pissed when she found out I was still asleep, but she obviously didn't care about that. I turned on the t.v. in time to see the second crash.

I went to school after that, but I don't remember having class. I do remember watching more news coverage on one of the tvs in one of my classes.
                        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I was in pre-mission limbo... I'd gotten my call a few weeks earlier, but wasn't leaving until December. All my friends were gone and I was working 11-hour days at Convergys. The attacks sure broke up the monotony. I was asleep when the first plane it (I didn't have to be into work until 10) and my mom called from the grocery store to tell me what had happened. I watched TV for approximately 300 hours straight from that point on.

I think it's good for us to remember that the United States is not invincible.

Comment

One rather major point I forgot completely:

9/11 was the entire reason I chose the law school I did.
                            Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                              One rather major point I forgot completely:

9/11 was the entire reason I chose the law school I did.
                              If I were you, I'd respond to this post with a heapin' helpin' of misdirected snark and animosity.

Instead, watch this:

What law school did you go to, and why did the events of 9/11 influence that choice so heavily?

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
                                If I were you, I'd respond to this post with a heapin' helpin' of misdirected snark and animosity.

Instead, watch this:

What law school did you go to, and why did the events of 9/11 influence that choice so heavily?
                                Bravo! You are the bigger man.
                                "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
                                "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
                                "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

Comment

Working...
                                X