Trump vs. California

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trump vs. California

So it appears that Trump is moving to revoke California's authority to set emissions standards on cars that differ from federal standards.

https://www.deseret.com/2019/9/18/20...Uko2xcb6becFT8

President Donald Trump announced Wednesday that his administration is revoking California’s authority to set auto mileage standards stricter than those issued by federal regulators, a move critics said would result in less fuel efficient cars that create more planet-warming pollution.
    I think I side with Trump on this one. California is large enough that it can influence overall auto production, thus hijacking our national policies. California may be right in the long run, but should one state be able to exert this much power over the industry? Why not come to a national consensus?
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    So it appears that Trump is moving to revoke California's authority to set emissions standards on cars that differ from federal standards.

https://www.deseret.com/2019/9/18/20...Uko2xcb6becFT8

I think I side with Trump on this one. California is large enough that it can influence overall auto production, thus hijacking our national policies. California may be right in the long run, but should one state be able to exert this much power over the industry? Why not come to a national consensus?
    Anti-state's rights, I see.

Comment

Originally posted by Applejack View Post
      Anti-state's rights, I see.
      I guess so.

I also greatly resent California legislature attempting to destroy amateur college sports.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Isn't this classic federal preemption? Not sure why California has been able to do this for this long
        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
          Isn't this classic federal preemption? Not sure why California has been able to do this for this long
          There was some sort of congressional exemption granted back in the 70s. I am not sure how Trump can decide to revoke that exemption, unless the exemption was really administrative, although that seems unlikely to me. I gather he wants to roll back the Obama-era rules that increase fuel efficiency requirements in the the next decade or so and he knows he must also make CA roll back its own regulations for that EPA change to take effect in the industry.
          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
            There was some sort of congressional exemption granted back in the 70s. I am not sure how Trump can decide to revoke that exemption, unless the exemption was really administrative, although that seems unlikely to me. I gather he wants to roll back the Obama-era rules that increase fuel efficiency requirements in the the next decade or so and he knows he must also make CA roll back its own regulations for that EPA change to take effect in the industry.
            The article describes it as a "waiver" that CA was given. Seems like that is something that could be rolled back administratively. I'm not sure what CA can argue in response.
            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

The article describes it as a "waiver" that CA was given. Seems like that is something that could be rolled back administratively. I'm not sure what CA can argue in response.
              California will have a couple of responses, I would think:

1. Trump should be impeached

2. Trump is Hitler

3. We will die in the next few weeks from existentially threatening climate change unless California regulations are maintained.

Nothing else will matter, in their eyes.
              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                California will have a couple of responses, I would think:

1. Trump should be impeached

2. Trump is Hitler

3. We will die in the next few weeks from existentially threatening climate change unless California regulations are maintained.

Nothing else will matter, in their eyes.
                That seems to be the response thus far. Seeing very little argument regarding the legal basis for a California exception.

Comment

That seems to be the response thus far. Seeing very little argument regarding the legal basis for a California exception.
                  I'm for anything that limits California's ability to use its market power to put bad regulations on industry. Prop 65 is the worst offender. I wish Trump would target that abomination.

Comment

I guess so.

I also greatly resent California legislature attempting to destroy amateur college sports.
                    I'm actually on Team California with respect to the NCAA. If the NCAA wasn't such a completely hypocritical, corrupt, and morally bankrupt organization, and if they didn't turn a blind eye to the blue bloods while scapegoating schools like BYU, I might think differently. But amateur college sports as administered by the NCAA is a complete and total scam so I say burn it down.

EDIT: So if California can manage to blow up the farce that is the NCAA, I say, "great!". But for everything else, California can ESAD.

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                      I'm actually on Team California with respect to the NCAA. If the NCAA wasn't such a completely hypocritical, corrupt, and morally bankrupt organization, and if they didn't turn a blind eye to the blue bloods while scapegoating schools like BYU, I might think differently. But amateur college sports as administered by the NCAA is a complete and total scam so I say burn it down.

EDIT: So if California can manage to blow up the farce that is the NCAA, I say, "great!". But for everything else, California can ESAD.
                      But that particular bomb will destroy college athletics as collateral damage.

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post

Agree. Athletes should be able to make money off their likeness. The CA bill doesn’t even result in schools paying athletes so the schools won’t suffer much monetarily.

Sure, it’ll destroy college football and basketball as we know it, but let’s not kid ourselves that it hasn’t already been destroyed. Kids are paid already one way or another. Maybe we’ll end up with a college league where kids are able to profit off their likeness and one where they aren’t.
                        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Because the Clean Air Act of 1970 expressly directs the EPA to grant a waiver to a state with stricter emissions standards unless certain findings are made after a notice and comment period. 42 USC 7543(b)(1) ("The Administrator shall, after notice and opportunity for public hearing, waive application of this section to any State...") The required findings are that (a) the determination of the State that their standards will meet or beat federal standards is arbitrary and capricious, (b) that the state doesn't need the standards to meet compelling and extraordinary conditions, or (c) the State standards and enforcement aren't consistent with the federal regulations.

Here's the thing, though. There's no authority to revoke the waiver once granted. At bare minimum, I would expect that any procedure to revoke the waiver would need the same notice and comment period as the original.

As per usual, Trump is talking out of his ass and directing heads of agencies to violate the law.

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                            Agree. Athletes should be able to make money off their likeness. The CA bill doesn’t even result in schools paying athletes so the schools won’t suffer much monetarily.

Sure, it’ll destroy college football and basketball as we know it, but let’s not kid ourselves that it hasn’t already been destroyed. Kids are paid already one way or another. Maybe we’ll end up with a college league where kids are able to profit off their likeness and one where they aren’t.
                            Geez. Crazy talk.

Comment

Originally posted by wapiti View Post
                              I'm for anything that limits California's ability to use its market power to put bad regulations on industry. Prop 65 is the worst offender. I wish Trump would target that abomination.
                              But, it's KNOWN to the state of California.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                              X