Need ideas for Ward Christmas party

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
    Another good idea worth considering, thanks.
    Why didn't you say that about my Napoleon Dynamite theme?
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
      Why didn't you say that about my Napoleon Dynamite theme?
      I've only ever seen that movie once, it was a long time ago, and I don't think I could sit through it a second time. Plus a lot of other people might not get it either.

Comment

I've only ever seen that movie once, it was a long time ago, and I don't think I could sit through it a second time. Plus a lot of other people might not get it either.
        Aren’t you in Idaho now? I think everyone would get the Napoleon Dynamite referents. It’s like the official State Movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie View Post
          Shoot a cow with a shotgun in the parking lot to begin the party, then grill that sucker up for everyone. Serve with tots.

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Christmas in Hawaii.
            Unless you’re in Laie like I was last Christmas. [emoji939]☔️[emoji100][emoji305]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

Need ideas for Ward Christmas party

Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
              Unless you’re in Laie like I was last Christmas. [emoji939]☔️[emoji100][emoji305]

And for the record, I posted lots of photos and did zero humanitarian work while there. :shrug:

I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                When I was in fifth grade, I starred in my class play, Christmas at the O.K. Corral it was all very Christmas-y, but instead of trees, we had cacti, Santa had a thick drawl, and everyone wore blue jeans and boots.

I've always thought it would be fun to do a western-themed ward christmas party. Do some cutouts of saguaro cacti, smoke some brisket and beans, and make sure Santa says "y'all" (Wuap: I don't give a shit what you say, it definitely isn't ya'll).

Maybe have some bluegrass style/fiddle Christmas tunes in the background, clear the tables and chairs and have some line/country dancing after.
                I am 100% on board with this idea. You can even leave out the saguaro, Santa, and line dancing. Blue jeans, boots, and BBQ. Merry Christmas.

Comment

Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                  Totally agree. Pick one and roll with it. Not to be discouraging, but the only candidates that dont seem like a huge effort is the swedish smorgasborg minus the herring, rye bread, and anything involving fish, and South American tamales with TexMex side dishes. If you pick one of these, have craft tables of swedish craft kits for adults and children, and decorate Swedish or south american Christmas ornaments. Don't play Swedish games- everyone always peace-outs on games and then you end up with one old guy trying to corral some primary kids to play some games that he remembers as a precious memory.

For your program, have the Johanssons do a powerpoint of a Swedish Christmas with both personal pictures and googled photos. Do not attempt to teach everyone a Swedish Christmas carol, even if the melody is familiar. Not fun. Have Santa if your ward is inclined to. Separately, have an adult photobooth. This is important: the photobooth should be automated. Dont have a photographer there to take candids or photos of the kids without their parents. I get asked to do this all the time, and I am starting to say no because the new training says not to take pictures of anyone without their consent. If you have a photobooth, those who want pix can partake, and those who dont can refrain.

Apologies to those who had a spiritual journey to Bethlehem last year, but I was completely underwhelmed. Christmas is a repeat of old and familiar. We all enact the roles that have been thrust upon us in our families and in our wards and friend groups. We don't need something entirely different, eating on the floor and stealing sheets from the linen closet to dress in. One or two things can be new and different (did I mention the photobooth?) but stick to the basics- that's what everyone wants.

If you want to get through this with a minimum of effort, do Christmas in Hawaii. Everyone has a plastic lei and a Tommy Bahama. Easy food- mix Hawaiian food with Haole food even those horrid haystacks, easy activities (do a hukilau fishing hole with prizes and surprises), set up photobooth with scenery of Hawaii or a surfboard in the background. For something spiritual, ask one of your couple missionaries who served in the Hawaii temple to present, etc.
                  WTF. I'm pulling your poly card right now for even suggesting Hawaiian Haystacks.

https://www.facebook.com/vaihi.nokao...6118553218421/
                  "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                  -Turtle
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                    WTF. I'm pulling your poly card right now for even suggesting Hawaiian Haystacks.

https://www.facebook.com/vaihi.nokao...6118553218421/
                    Maybe she should have went with Hawaiian pizza.

I made Hawaiian haystacks the other day. I did not put peas or mandarin oranges in it (Gross). I also made my own sauce for it, not using any "cream of" canned goods. I like Hawaiian haystacks, but I've never thought of it as authentic Polynesian food. I figured they just labelled anything "Hawaiian" that has pineapple in it.

Also, I'm no culinary savant and like almost all food.

Comment

Originally posted by beefytee View Post

I made Hawaiian haystacks the other day. I did not put peas or mandarin oranges in it (Gross). I also made my own sauce for it, not using any "cream of" canned goods. I like Hawaiian haystacks, but I've never thought of it as authentic Polynesian food. I figured they just labelled anything "Hawaiian" that has pineapple in it.

I hated this meal growing up. But my family was not culturally insensitive, so we didn't call it Hawaiian haystacks." We called it "Chinese chicken sundaes."
                      Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post

I hated this meal growing up. But my family was not culturally insensitive, so we didn't call it Hawaiian haystacks." We called it "Chinese chicken sundaes."

Comment

I'm looking at the images online and seeing what people throw on these things I understand why people don't like them.

Comment

Originally posted by beefytee View Post

I knew we had a discussion about Hawaiian Haystacks before so I searched and found my first experience with them.

http://www.cougarstadium.com/showthr...l=1#post995164

Also, reading through that thread made me miss Mark Grace's white Hawaiian ass.

And for Creekster, one of my uncle's started up the taro farm again in Waipio. They sell bags of poi at church row in Waimea. So if you're ever visiting the Big Island there you go.
                            "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                            -Turtle
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                              I knew we had a discussion about Hawaiian Haystacks before so I searched and found my first experience with them.

http://www.cougarstadium.com/showthr...l=1#post995164

Also, reading through that thread made me miss Mark Grace's white Hawaiian ass.

And for Creekster, one of my uncle's started up the taro farm again in Waipio. They sell bags of poi at church row in Waimea. So if you're ever visiting the Big Island there you go.
                              We were over ther a year or so ago. Wish I had known. Next time!
                              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Have the party in the morning, serve breakfast, sing carols, have a short program centered on Christ, and MAYBE have a visit from Santa.

Done.

We've done this before and it was wildly successful. Everyone loves breakfast, you get done before noon, and it is cheap.

Comment

Working...
                                X