No announcement yet.

Rubber Match: Cougars vs. Trojans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I rewatched that first BYU touchdown - the goal-line one that Dayan scored - probably 20 times yesterday. What a fun play. Jumbo formation with defensive linemen as the two bookends, Kafentzis under center with Tonga in a three-point stance behind him, and Dayan and Wilgar offset behind each end of the line.

USC didn't really have a chance there with all of those lighter guys on the field for potential pass coverage. The Cougar down linemen pushed a wall to the left and sealed; those defenders were all out of the play. Kafentzis shot right in to block once he handed off to Dayan. Then Tonga going fullback and tossing #21 for USC like he was a rag doll - I can't imagine #21 was expecting that when he took the field for that play.
    Last edited by Joe Public; 09-16-2019, 12:22 PM. Reason: typo
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
      I rewatched that first BYU touchdown - the goal-line one that Dayan scored - probably 20 times yesterday. What a fun play. Jumbo formation with defensive lineman as the two bookends, Kafentzis under center with Tonga in a three-point stance behind him, and Dayan and Wilgar offset behind each end of the line.

USC didn't really have a chance there with all of those lighter guys on the field for potential pass coverage. The Cougar down lineman pushed a wall to the left and sealed; those defenders were all out of the play. Kafentzis shot right in to block once he handed off to Dayan. Then Tonga going fullback and tossing #21 for USC like he was a rag doll - I can't imagine #21 was expecting that when he took the field for that play.
      Did we run that same/similar play against WMU or some other team late last year?
      Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
        and they don't get anything after the catch. iirc, simon had a decent run after catch, but those moments, in comparison to the rest of college football are few and far between. Wilson (or any byu QB) has his work cut out for him.
        This is what impressed me about Wilson. He is a legitimate run threat, and I'd guess his scrambling freed up receivers more than once as the secondary paused when Zach would break free and threaten to run.
        sigpic
        "Outlined against a blue, gray
        October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
        Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

• I was flipping through the channel guide last night and saw the game was replaying on ESPNU. I felt obligated to flip over and watch the rest of it. A couple of observations, primarily of the refs and the broadcast.

1) Not sure who the color commentator was, but he was definitely pulling for USC. On every review he was 100% convinced it should go USC's way, and without any doubt. He also made a few comments about how now was the time for USC to stop toying around and assert their dominant will.

2) I still don't understand how that Pittman catch gets called a TD. It was definitely not called a TD by the official on the field. And it certainly wasn't conclusive that Dayan had run him out of bounds (i'm not sure that's even reviewable). If anything, it looked more conclusive that Pittman had been caught up hand-fighting and had lost track of where he was on the field. For them to then decide ex-post-facto that they ruled TD on the field and that review was inconclusive to overturn was nonsense; precisely the type of Pac-12 ref B.S. we've grown to expect.

3) Wilson was definitely gimpy after that late scramble where he came up just short of the marker. He was being worked on during the timeout, and he didn't look as explosive in OT. Any update on his status?

4) Too many times to the well on that short yardage play with Tonga as the lead. It worked great the first time because USC had no idea what was coming. But doing it twice more on both 3rd and 1 and 4th and 1 was dumb. I was assuming that there was going to be some sort of a wrinkle or misdirection when they lined up to run it again. Fortunately we escaped with the win, so if that wrinkle is there, it can be used later in the season.
          Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
            I was flipping through the channel guide last night and saw the game was replaying on ESPNU. I felt obligated to flip over and watch the rest of it. A couple of observations, primarily of the refs and the broadcast.

1) Not sure who the color commentator was, but he was definitely pulling for USC. On every review he was 100% convinced it should go USC's way, and without any doubt. He also made a few comments about how now was the time for USC to stop toying around and assert their dominant will.

2) I still don't understand how that Pittman catch gets called a TD. It was definitely not called a TD by the official on the field. And it certainly wasn't conclusive that Dayan had run him out of bounds (i'm not sure that's even reviewable). If anything, it looked more conclusive that Pittman had been caught up hand-fighting and had lost track of where he was on the field. For them to then decide ex-post-facto that they ruled TD on the field and that review was inconclusive to overturn was nonsense; precisely the type of Pac-12 ref B.S. we've grown to expect.

3) Wilson was definitely gimpy after that late scramble where he came up just short of the marker. He was being worked on during the timeout, and he didn't look as explosive in OT. Any update on his status?

4) Too many times to the well on that short yardage play with Tonga as the lead. It worked great the first time because USC had no idea what was coming. But doing it twice more on both 3rd and 1 and 4th and 1 was dumb. I was assuming that there was going to be some sort of a wrinkle or misdirection when they lined up to run it again. Fortunately we escaped with the win, so if that wrinkle is there, it can be used later in the season.
            On the Pittman touchdown: my seats are in the northeast corner (other side of the end zone from the catch) and I was baffled at the call. But I was even more baffled by the game management of the crew over the whole sequence. The FJ had a clear illegal participation call in the moment. He threw his hat to show the receiver stepping out of bound and then threw his flag when he touched the ball. Like you said, I dont know if that call is reviewable. But even if it was, the referee had to choices: after discussion, announce there is no penalty for illegal participation and wave off the flag, or announce and administer the penalty. After one of those two actions they could then go to replay if needed. He didnt do either. That doesn't even address what you said about not even signaling a TD on the field.

It was bad enough that the crew should lose a game but they wont.

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
              Did we run that same/similar play against WMU or some other team late last year?
              Utah.
              τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                On the Pittman touchdown: my seats are in the northeast corner (other side of the end zone from the catch) and I was baffled at the call. But I was even more baffled by the game management of the crew over the whole sequence. The FJ had a clear illegal participation call in the moment. He threw his hat to show the receiver stepping out of bound and then threw his flag when he touched the ball. Like you said, I dont know if that call is reviewable. But even if it was, the referee had to choices: after discussion, announce there is no penalty for illegal participation and wave off the flag, or announce and administer the penalty. After one of those two actions they could then go to replay if needed. He didnt do either. That doesn't even address what you said about not even signaling a TD on the field.

It was bad enough that the crew should lose a game but they wont.
                The worst part was them not clarifying the ruling on the field. It looked like other officials came in and overruled the FJ. Ridiculous.

I don't know how the play actually should have been called. There was contact but its impossible to tell who initiated it. After the WR came back inbounds he pulled Dayan's jersey keeping him from making a play on the ball. That should have been offensive PI. Maybe the FJ ignored that because he already had the illegal touching penalty? Its exactly the kind of play that should have been determined by the official who was standing in perfect position to make the call. Replay showed nothing that would overrule his judgement.

Comment

I was flipping through the channel guide last night and saw the game was replaying on ESPNU. I felt obligated to flip over and watch the rest of it. A couple of observations, primarily of the refs and the broadcast.

On Wilson's status: Wilson addressed that particular hit in his post-game comments. He said he got hit in the butt, he literally said, "my left butt cheek", and he said it was sore but it would be fine.

Comment

Re: #2 - The entire review sequence was as bad as I've seen. I'm probably the last person who will throw out conspiracy claims, but BYU was done extremely dirty on that play. I love how they snuck in that "ruling on the field was a touchdown" bullshit right before they went to review. Uh, no, it was actually ruled illegal touching as clearly indicated by the official's hat being removed and not one official ever signaling touchdown. You know, that sign you make with both hands up in the air. Would be kind of tough to miss that one. They set it up perfectly for the review to not be able to find indisputable evidence to overturn. Clearly Dayan and Pittman were engaged in hand fighting, which caused Pittman to step out (not forced out). Therefore Pittman reestablishing himself inbounds was moot. Heinous call and not at all surprising from a PAC-12 crew. It doesn't make sense to assign officials from the road team's conference when the home team is an independent.

Re: #4 - I'm sure there are wrinkles involving Kafentzis keeping the ball in that situation considering he was a QB who ran the ball a ton in HS and had several packages in the offense last year. As all have said, they went back to the well too many times on that one. Really didn't like the play call; especially after the previous play failed (but was blown dead for substitution).

Comment

• Originally posted by HBCoug View Post
                      Re: #2 - The entire review sequence was as bad as I've seen. I'm probably the last person who will throw out conspiracy claims, but BYU was done extremely dirty on that play. I love how they snuck in that "ruling on the field was a touchdown" bullshit right before they went to review. Uh, no, it was actually ruled illegal touching as clearly indicated by the official's hat being removed and not one official ever signaling touchdown. You know, that sign you make with both hands up in the air. Would be kind of tough to miss that one. They set it up perfectly for the review to not be able to find indisputable evidence to overturn. Clearly Dayan and Pittman were engaged in hand fighting, which caused Pittman to step out (not forced out). Therefore Pittman reestablishing himself inbounds was moot. Heinous call and not at all surprising from a PAC-12 crew. It doesn't make sense to assign officials from the road team's conference when the home team is an independent.

Re: #4 - I'm sure there are wrinkles involving Kafentzis keeping the ball in that situation considering he was a QB who ran the ball a ton in HS and had several packages in the offense last year. As all have said, they went back to the well too many times on that one. Really didn't like the play call; especially after the previous play failed (but was blown dead for substitution).
                      It was a Big 12 crew.
                      τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• I did not enjoy the outcome of this football game. It was a football equivalent of having a 100 IV Pokemon run from you.
                        As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                        --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by All-American View Post
                          It was a Big 12 crew.
                          I thought the PAC insisted on using its own refs?
                          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Greg McElroy.
                            I'm like LeBron James.
                            -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                              I thought the PAC insisted on using its own refs?
                              Yeah who knows? I had heard that as well, but the broadcast said several times they were a Big 12 crew.
                              Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

• Originally posted by All-American View Post
                                It was a Big 12 crew.
                                Exactly what they'd like you to think!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X