BYU Women's Volleyball 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BYU Women's Volleyball 2019

My daughter quit volleyball this year, so I haven't been as invested in watching the Cougs with her, but it appears they lost to the 16th-ranked Marquette [insert new non-racist mascot name]s, and they have a pretty stout non-conference schedule.

It's probably not fair to expect this team to beat a top-20 opponent handily after looking the Haddock twins, RJP, and Syndnie Martindale (she was overshadowed by Mary Lake, but she gave us two quality years in the backrow), but after an amazing season last year that included a early-season win over a stout Stanford squad, losing to Marquette feels like a downer.

I mostly feel bad for Mary Lake, who has been incredible her entire time in Provo. She could very well end up in the Sweet 16 as a senior, but it's tough to imagine the Cougs going beyond that unless McKenna Miller or another OH really steps up their game (tough to ask of MM coming off her injury...although I did get to chat her up at the Holy War for a few minutes. She was super cool...I was conscious of the risk of looking like creepy old guy, and she just kept talking as we walked).

I've only looked at box scores, but a few surprises: 1. Taylen Ballard's production (wait...I guess she did marry Dalton Nixon? That boy out-kicked his coverage). In 2018, she never seemed to regain her confidence after her knee injury in 2017. 2. Maddie Robinson's absence in the first two games and resurgence in the Marquette game. 3. Heather Gneiting's lack of production. Eschenberg seemed to have had big games offensively, but Gneiting's stat sheet is a little bare (not always indicative of contribution for a MB, though, especially depending on the rotations).
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
    My daughter quit volleyball this year, so I haven't been as invested in watching the Cougs with her, but it appears they lost to the 16th-ranked Marquette [insert new non-racist mascot name]s, and they have a pretty stout non-conference schedule.

It's probably not fair to expect this team to beat a top-20 opponent handily after looking the Haddock twins, RJP, and Syndnie Martindale (she was overshadowed by Mary Lake, but she gave us two quality years in the backrow), but after an amazing season last year that included a early-season win over a stout Stanford squad, losing to Marquette feels like a downer.

I mostly feel bad for Mary Lake, who has been incredible her entire time in Provo. She could very well end up in the Sweet 16 as a senior, but it's tough to imagine the Cougs going beyond that unless McKenna Miller or another OH really steps up their game (tough to ask of MM coming off her injury...although I did get to chat her up at the Holy War for a few minutes. She was super cool...I was conscious of the risk of looking like creepy old guy, and she just kept talking as we walked).

I've only looked at box scores, but a few surprises: 1. Taylen Ballard's production (wait...I guess she did marry Dalton Nixon? That boy out-kicked his coverage). In 2018, she never seemed to regain her confidence after her knee injury in 2017. 2. Maddie Robinson's absence in the first two games and resurgence in the Marquette game. 3. Heather Gneiting's lack of production. Eschenberg seemed to have had big games offensively, but Gneiting's stat sheet is a little bare (not always indicative of contribution for a MB, though, especially depending on the rotations).
    I was disappointed with the Marquette game and surprised by how poorly they played. That doesn't bode well for the match at Stanford. I wonder what's up with Gneiting.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

I watched a replay of part of the UVU game last night. Man, we are going to miss Haddock-Eppich. For a freshman, our setter is fine, but in the first set against UVU, there were not a ton of great sets. Eschenberg has an advantage over Gneiting hitting in the middle because she has a better vertical, which buys her some time to deal with some of the poor sets.

I'm actually pretty surprised we're still running a 5-1 with Bower setting. They have her listed at 5'9", but I'd be surprised if she's taller than 5'7". Haddock was listed at 5'10" but was a great athlete and could get up and block. Unless Bower is remarkably better than Tausinga and Moea'i, I think we'd be better served keeping the setters in the back row running a 6-2.

Comment

Easy win last night over Long Island U. Looked like they were playing a HS team.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Marquette is pretty legit. They just took down #4 Wisconsin in Madison.

Comment

I was hopeful after that first set, but the ladies couldn't get it done against Texas.
            "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

BYU had a major upset of Stanford in Palo Alto, after Stanford had upset Nebraska in Lincoln. One wonders if Stanford just overlooked BYU having just defeated the then number one team. BYU's prestige must be good enough as Stanford, coupled with a complete reshuffling of the top five regained the number 1 position after losing. BYU's two losses are to Texas and Marquette, both top ten teams.
              "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

I like our new setter. She’s just a baby but she can really dig a ball and has fixed some of her issues with decision making and location. It is amazing how good Heather is. Her coaching production and recruiting are making BYU elite in every year and every class.

Comment

So nice to have our streak of sweet 16s end by getting absolutely destroyed at home by Utah. That's really nice.

Comment

In all the non fottball/basketball sports, how does it usually shake out when these two play. I keep hearing BYU has the superior athletic department. But it seems like Utah beats BYU a lot in other sports as well. But I don't really pay much attention.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by USUC View Post
                      In all the non fottball/basketball sports, how does it usually shake out when these two play. I keep hearing BYU has the superior athletic department. But it seems like Utah beats BYU a lot in other sports as well. But I don't really pay much attention.

BYU usually wins the minor sports. It's why we win that coveted deseret first duel so often!

Comment

Originally posted by USUC View Post

Yes, you aren’t paying attention.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by KillerDog View Post
                          I like our new setter. She’s just a baby but she can really dig a ball and has fixed some of her issues with decision making and location. It is amazing how good Heather is. Her coaching production and recruiting are making BYU elite in every year and every class.
                          I’d like her better in a 6-2. She’ll never be tall or athletic enough to put up an effective block.

Comment

Working...
                          X