Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: womens soccer 2019

Pre-Historic Man

Quote Originally Posted by BigPiney View Post
    He was the de facto coach when he was at BYU. Too bad he left.
    Explain. I don't remember much about his tenure.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    Was a long time assistant coach at BYU. Left after the 2016 season to replace the retiring coach at Gonzaga who had been there for 20+ years, I think.

BYU dominated K-State with 29 shots and 13 shots on goal compared with K-State's 9 and 2. Tucker had a hat trick and overcame her whoopsies of the KU game.

BYU is heading into a pivotal stretch that will determine likely NCAA bid and seeding. LBeach State has played some of the better teams and Santa Clara is always a tough match while Pepperdine defeated Stanford. The WCC is under-rated IMHO, but we shall see. Gonzaga has a former BYU assistant at the helm and is on the upswing.
    The RPI was just released. The WCC is looking pretty good due to many of the teams playing strong schedules so far. This sets BYU up for a very good seeding potentially, as their non-conference resume so far is looking stellar. The fact that so many of the solid wins are on the road is also a big deal.

5 BYU
    22 Santa Clara
    34 Portland
    58 USF
    66 Pepperdine
    92 Gonzaga
    127 St. Mary's
    204 San Diego
    251 LMU
    313 Pacific

Wins:
    7 Texas A&M
    8 @Kansas
    18 @Alabama
    50 Utah
    59 @Mississippi State
    113 @UVU
    121 @Kansas State
    172 S. Utah

0 losses

Upcoming:
    165 @Long Beach State
    173 UC Irvine

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/soccer...ens-soccer-rpi
    Last edited by BlueK; 09-24-2019 at 08:45 AM.

He the men's coach for a long time and the assitant for the women's team. My wife was a trainer for the soccer team in the late 90s and she related the feelings of the players to me that they all looked to him as the real head coach as he was much more knowledgeable and had a understanding of the game. This may have been players talking but the feeling I got was that he was in charge and better respected by the team and that the head coach was more of a figurehead.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPiney View Post
    He the men's coach for a long time and the assitant for the women's team. My wife was a trainer for the soccer team in the late 90s and she related the feelings of the players to me that they all looked to him as the real head coach as he was much more knowledgeable and had a understanding of the game. This may have been players talking but the feeling I got was that he was in charge and better respected by the team and that the head coach was more of a figurehead.
    I also suppose that perception got a boost from the 2017 season when BYU had an off year. But, the Lavell Edwards model of coaching can be successful, I guess. Last year they bounced back very well from a rebuilding year and got stronger as the season went on as the younger players gained experience. And this year has been off the charts successful so far.

The teams that had Hatch, Vasconcelos and Gomes perhaps had more flash among their stars, but this one is better defensively and probably deeper in general.
    Last edited by BlueK; 09-25-2019 at 07:29 AM.

Pre-Historic Man

Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
    I also suppose that perception got a boost from the 2017 season when BYU had an off year. But, the Lavell Edwards model of coaching can be successful, I guess. Last year they bounced back very well from a rebuilding year and got stronger as the season went on as the younger players gained experience. And this year has been off the charts successful so far.

The teams that had Hatch, Vasconcelos and Gomes perhaps had more flash among their stars, but this one I think is better defensively and probably deeper in general.
    The midfield play is also very good and their attacking manner is stronger, though I wish they were at times more patient in shot selection.

Here is the latest coaches' poll.

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/soccer...soccer-coaches

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

The midfield play is also very good and their attacking manner is stronger, though I wish they were at times more patient in shot selection.

Here is the latest coaches' poll.

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/soccer...soccer-coaches
    even two first place votes this week.

Pre-Historic Man

Last night looked a little sluggish at times, and they were also impatient with their runs. Good result against a team that is better than its record.

Last night looked a little sluggish at times, and they were also impatient with their runs. Good result against a team that is better than its record.
    I couldn't get a very good stream. Fortunately tomorrow's game is on byutv.

An rpi update on BYU and its opponents

5 BYU
    19 Santa Clara
    31 Portland
    55 USF
    71 Pepperdine
    89 Gonzaga
    170 St. Mary's
    197 San Diego
    244 LMU
    307 Pacific

Wins:
    8 Texas A&M
    7 @Kansas
    22 @Alabama
    50 Utah
    60 @Mississippi State
    116 @UVU
    115 @Kansas State
    164 @Long Beach St.
    259 S. Utah

0 losses

Upcoming:
    169 UC Irvine

Pre-Historic Man

An rpi update on BYU and its opponents

5 BYU
    19 Santa Clara
    31 Portland
    55 USF
    71 Pepperdine
    89 Gonzaga
    170 St. Mary's
    197 San Diego
    244 LMU
    307 Pacific

Wins:
    8 Texas A&M
    7 @Kansas
    22 @Alabama
    50 Utah
    60 @Mississippi State
    116 @UVU
    115 @Kansas State
    164 @Long Beach St.
    259 S. Utah

0 losses

Upcoming:
    169 UC Irvine

Toughest games, IMHO, should be Santa Clara, Portland and Gonzaga, with Pepperdine also being a challenge. It's supposed to rain tomorrow night.

The rpi was updated on the NCAA site following last weekend's games. BYU is #16 after taking a hit to the rpi against Pacific. Fortunately, other than LMU, the rest of the WCC teams are at least around .500 or better.

Wins:
    14 @Kansas
    23 Texas A&M
    27 @Alabama
    52 Utah
    53 @Mississippi State
    55 Pepperdine
    114 @UVU
    151 @Kansas State
    168 @Long Beach St.
    203 UC Irvine
    299 S. Utah
    302 Pacific

Draws:
    36 Santa Clara

0 losses

Upcoming:
    176 St. Mary's
    64 @Portland
    162 San Diego
    46 @USF
    63 @Gonzaga
    193 LMU

Current standings:
    BYU 2-0-1
    Gonzaga 2-0-1
    Santa Clara 2-0-1
    Pepperdine 2-1
    LMU 2-1
    USF 1-1-1
    San Diego 1-2
    St. Mary's 0-2-1
    Portland 0-2-1
    Pacific 0-3

Pre-Historic Man

The rpi was updated on the NCAA site following last weekend's games. BYU is #16 after taking a hit to the rpi against Pacific. Fortunately, other than LMU, the rest of the WCC teams are at least around .500 or better.

Wins:
    14 @Kansas
    23 Texas A&M
    27 @Alabama
    52 Utah
    53 @Mississippi State
    55 Pepperdine
    114 @UVU
    151 @Kansas State
    168 @Long Beach St.
    203 UC Irvine
    299 S. Utah
    302 Pacific

Draws:
    36 Santa Clara

0 losses

Upcoming:
    176 St. Mary's
    64 @Portland
    162 San Diego
    46 @USF
    63 @Gonzaga
    193 LMU

Current standings:
    BYU 2-0-1
    Gonzaga 2-0-1
    Santa Clara 2-0-1
    Pepperdine 2-1
    LMU 2-1
    USF 1-1-1
    San Diego 1-2
    St. Mary's 0-2-1
    Portland 0-2-1
    Pacific 0-3
    Three dangerous games remain, but I would be surprised to see BYU win out the league. Portland, but its defense is questionable. USF has shown some ability and Gonzaga has a former BYU coach.

Pre-Historic Man

Women are cruising along. Tonight the team defeated Portland 2-0 in a pedestrian win. I attended the St. Mary's game where the Gaels didn't belong on the same field.

Here is what the profile looks like now with the rpis updated coming out of the weekend. BYU's rpi inched up to #17 from the #20 it was at last week. It should get more of a bump over the next two games against USF and Gonzaga assuming they win, as those teams both have good records.

vs top 25: 2-0-1
    vs top 50: 5-0-1
    vs top 100: 7-0-1
    road: 7-0-1

Wins:
    19 @Kansas
    20 Texas A&M
    34 @Alabama
    44 @Portland
    49 Pepperdine
    55 Utah
    70 @Mississippi State
    123 @UVU
    152 San Diego
    186 @Kansas State
    192 UC Irvine
    210 St. Mary's
    244 @Long Beach St.
    302 Pacific
    308 S. Utah

Draws:
    24 @Santa Clara

0 losses

Upcoming:
    58 @USF
    84 @Gonzaga
    213 LMU

Pre-Historic Man

I hope the Tournament committee doesn't stick to a strict RPI formula for assigning the seeds. BYU deserves better than they will receive.

Here is what the profile looks like now with the rpis updated coming out of the weekend. BYU's rpi inched up to #12 from the #16 it was at last week. Beating USF, which has a decent record, along with favorable results over the weekend from teams BYU has beaten has helped. If BYU wins out, I think the #3 seed is the floor, but hoping for a 2. In conference tournaments hoping this week for wins for Alabama over Vanderbilt, Texas A&M over Florida, and Kansas over Oklahoma State. We'd like to see these teams lose that are competing with us for seeds: 11 Rutgers in the Big 10 semifinals, 21 NC State in ACC semifinals, 15 Texas Tech in Big 12 semifinals, 9 S. Carolina in SEC semifinals.

vs top 25: 2-0-0
    vs top 50: 5-0-1
    vs top 100: 8-0-1
    road: 8-0-1

Wins:
    16 Texas A&M
    19 @Kansas
    35 @Alabama
    44 @Portland
    46 Pepperdine
    55 Utah
    56 @USF
    78 @Mississippi State
    127 @UVU
    158 San Diego
    183 @Kansas State
    202 UC Irvine
    226 St. Mary's
    244 @Long Beach St.
    305 Pacific
    317 S. Utah

Draws:
    28 @Santa Clara

0 losses

Upcoming:
    77 @Gonzaga (11-5-1)
    209 LMU (4-11-12)
    Last edited by BlueK; 11-04-2019 at 09:25 AM.

Pre-Historic Man

Alabama lost to Vanderbilt and TAMU lost to Florida, so that didn't go well.

https://twitter.com/CS360updates/sta...276916224?s=19

"I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Pre-Historic Man

Most of those games are winnable but BYU got the hardest two seed draw.

Boise should be a good game for BYU.

Next game is Louisville that made noise early in the season.
    And Arkansas believed it should have been a one seed, so that team is a good challenge.

Stanford has the college's best player and may be the best team. Playing them there is likely to be the end of this season but this BYU has a very good backline and can defeat any team when it plays with pace. Defending Stanford's Macario is a beast and BYU would or will have trouble with her. She scored 23 goals this season and was the national leader on assists. You rarely see that combination. Stanford has the equivalent of nothing but national pool players and 5 star recruits. BYU's highest are 4 stars and 3 stars.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    https://twitter.com/CS360updates/sta...276916224?s=19

I have my tickets. :wily:
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Pre-Historic Man

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    I have my tickets. :wily:
    Lucky you. Do allsports passes for students gain them entrance?

Boise should be a good warm up game.

Striving for mediocrity Art Vandelay's Avatar

Watching the game. The announcer talked about one of BYU player’s “mad hops”. They showed a replay and the girl literally didn’t leave the ground when she headed the ball.

Pre-Historic Man

That was funny. A rather pedestrian win for this team.

Pre-Historic Man

All attendees tonight stay warm and keep the girls winning! Go Cougs!

Pre-Historic Man

BYU dominated the second half after a sketchy first half.

Next game will be NCState which played a solid game against a disappointing Arkansas.

A girl from my ward and who I used to teach in SS just signed with BYU, this week I think. She has wanted to play for BYU since she was little. I was worried that the timing might be bad, with BYU fielding such a strong team these last few years, but she made it.
    Last edited by falafel; 11-22-2019 at 12:08 AM.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    A girl from my ward and who I used to teach in SS just signed with BYU, this week I think. She has wanted to play for BYU since she was little. I was worried that the timing might be bad, with BYU fielding such a strong team these last few years, but she made it.
    So she's not that good. Great.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Quote Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
    She's awesome! She scored 6 goals in one game earlier this year. But BYU is undefeated and a top 5 program right now. This is the most difficult time to make the team.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
    Maybe BYU's coach is a better evaluator of YW soccer talent than falafel is?
    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71