Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 College Football Thread

Striving for mediocrity Art Vandelay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Response to Mr. Vandelay-

I agree with almost everything you said, except for it being a foregone conclusion that 2 SEC teams will be in. The committee risks upsetting 2 of its 5 member conference in that scenario. And a one-loss conference champion has only been left out once(Ohio St last year, although th Baylor/TCU co-champs were both one loss teams that were left out too).

Let’s say Alabama loses to LSU. Does a one loss Alabama team, with one of the weakest SOS in P5 get in over a one loss Oklahoma or Oregon? There would be a strong argument that they didn’t earn their place on the field, but by reputation instead, which would expose SEC bias in the process.
    It certainly is more likely if Bama wins and LSU's sole loss is in Tuscaloosa, considering their SOS. However, if Bama loses then beats Auburn, it gives them a trump card over Oregon (who I personally am rooting for). Oklahoma's loss is becoming a little less terrible each week as KSU continues to win.

Basically, I want enough chaos to take the number up to 8 teams. That is the only chance BYU would ever have of being in the playoffs, if they could ever muster a 1996-like season again.

"I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Response to Mr. Vandelay-

I agree with almost everything you said, except for it being a foregone conclusion that 2 SEC teams will be in. The committee risks upsetting 2 of its 5 member conference in that scenario. And a one-loss conference champion has only been left out once(Ohio St last year, although th Baylor/TCU co-champs were both one loss teams that were left out too).

Let’s say Alabama loses to LSU. Does a one loss Alabama team, with one of the weakest SOS in P5 get in over a one loss Oklahoma or Oregon? There would be a strong argument that they didn’t earn their place on the field, but by reputation instead, which would expose SEC bias in the process.
    This is an interesting dilemma for the playoff comittee. Bama definitely has a weak out of conference SOS, but the eye test clearly favors them over Oregon/Utah. Should the committee reward conference champions or teams they feel are better? Either way there is a lack of integrity.

The other question I have is if Oklahoma wins out, will their resume overtake the PAC-12 champ? Kstate is playing well right now.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Strikes and Gutters chrisrenrut's Avatar

And Conference champion is listed as the first criteria:

The committee will select the teams using a process that distinguishes among otherwise comparable teams by considering:

Conference championships won,
    Strength of schedule,
    Head-to-head competition,
    Comparative outcomes of common opponents (without incenting margin of victory), and,
    Other relevant factors such as key injuries that may have affected a team’s performance during the season or likely will affect it’s postseason performance.

I agree that conference champions should be considered first. You start running into problems when you take more than one team from a conference, including a rematch which I think taints the end result.

Pedophile State loses. There is a god. Now if only LSU can win today.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

LOL! Gotta love how the videographer for Minnesota scoreboard is trying to ice the PSU kicker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Minnesota. Who knew? I think they're on the Cougars' schedule within the next few years.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Princeps Inter Pares

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Public View Post
    Minnesota. Who knew? I think they're on the Cougars' schedule within the next few years.
    Next year, in fact.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Quote Originally Posted by All-American View Post
    Next year, in fact.
    That might end up being a higher degree of difficulty than Holmoe was expecting when he scheduled it.

Bad form to live stream in a post game locker room but I love me some fired up Coach O.

Quote Originally Posted by All-American View Post
    Next year, in fact.
    We're looking hard at this game. Maybe worth an entry in the Trippin thread soon.

Default 2019 College Football Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    We're looking hard at this game. Maybe worth an entry in the Trippin thread soon.
    I’ve had my eye on this one for a while. Twin cities area is beautiful, and a bit of a culinary hotbed (without the snobbish attitude that so often accompanies such a scene). Best pizza I’ve ever had was in Minny.

Late September should be beautiful, and still warm enough for some golf. And now the football competition will be first-rate as well.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Harvard/Yale. Craziest game I’ve ever attended. Halftime delayed by about an hour by student sit-in climate change protest at the 50 yard line. Yale down by 2 TDs in the fourth. Score w 1:30 left, recover the onside kick and tie the game with 18 sec. Players are barely visible in OT as the sun is setting, Yale Bowl doesn’t have lights, and the protest pushed the game back. Yale wins in the second OT
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    Harvard/Yale. Craziest game I’ve ever attended. Halftime delayed by about an hour by student sit-in climate change protest at the 50 yard line. Yale down by 2 TDs in the fourth. Score w 1:30 left, recover the onside kick and tie the game with 18 sec. Players are barely visible in OT as the sun is setting, Yale Bowl doesn’t have lights, and the protest pushed the game back. Yale wins in the second OT
    Is your son on the team? When I saw the highlights I actually thought “I wonder if hostile’s son ended up playing for Yale.” Lo and behold, you were at the game!
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

It's been a score-fest of a fourth quarter in the Oregon/ASU game.

At this point, Utah needs Auburn needs to beat Bama for them to even sniff the playoff. I think they can stay ahead of Oklahoma in the committee rankings because Oklahoma's defense is terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by USUC View Post
    At this point, Utah needs Auburn needs to beat Bama for them to even sniff the playoff. I think they can stay ahead of Oklahoma in the committee rankings because Oklahoma's defense is terrible.
    I see it the opposite way. I think the committee will still pick a 1-loss conference champ over Alabama. But Oklahoma has two games against top 25 teams, and Utah’s one tough game just got weakened. So I think a 12-1 Utah jumps an 11-1 Alabama, but a 12-1 Oklahoma jumps them both (because Bama would be inactive on conference championship weekend).

Style points/type of wins may come into play. And Georgia beating LSU in the SEC championship could make it all academic anyways.
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 11-24-2019 at 01:01 AM.

I see it the opposite way. I think the committee will still pick a 1-loss conference champ over Alabama. But Oklahoma has two games against top 25 teams, and Utah’s one tough game just got weakened. So I think a 12-1 Utah jumps an 11-1 Alabama, but a 12-1 Oklahoma jumps them both (because Bama would be inactive on conference championship weekend).

Style points/type of wins may come into play. And Georgia beating LSU in the SEC championship could make it all academic anyways.
    I think this is more of a possibility. But Utah actually has a great shot. Utah has the media support right now and that absolutely matters. All of the talking heads love Utah and that will influence the committee. Things might shift before the decision but Utah is in a good spot. Oregon losing wasn’t good but it isn’t over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

The thing is though, this isn't an objective process. It's entertainment. It's essentially a reality show. Does a conference championship trump SOS? Or strength of conference? What about the eye test? What about eyeballs on TV for their reality show?

Both Bama and Utah will have finished the season with exactly 1 win over a ranked opponent. Bama's only loss would be better than Utah's only loss. The SEC is perceived to be a better conference than the PAC-12. There is a high likelihood that Bama would be taken ahead of Utah.

Oklahoma has been playing with fire too often lately. It will catch up to them in one of their next 2 games. But even if they do win out, they have shown an inability to put teams away. They won't have the style points.

The thing is though, this isn't an objective process. It's entertainment. It's essentially a reality show. Does a conference championship trump SOS? Or strength of conference? What about the eye test? What about eyeballs on TV for their reality show?

Both Bama and Utah will have finished the season with exactly 1 win over a ranked opponent. Bama's only loss would be better than Utah's only loss. The SEC is perceived to be a better conference than the PAC-12. There is a high likelihood that Bama would be taken ahead of Utah.

Oklahoma has been playing with fire too often lately. It will catch up to them in one of their next 2 games. But even if they do win out, they have shown an inability to put teams away. They won't have the style points.
    It kind of seems that way now, especially since they have left a Alabama in the top 5 after their LSU loss. But the committee has never left out a 1 loss conference champion. The only time a non-conference champ was taken over a conference champ, the conference champ had 2 or more losses. I’m not saying it couldn’t happen, but if it does, it will bring a lot of consternation and controversy to the playoff model and process.

On the list of criteria the CFP Committee uses, conference champion is listed first. I have to believe that if Utah/Oklahoma and Alabama have similar SOS, the conference championship and 12th win give the edge.

It kind of seems that way now, especially since they have left a Alabama in the top 5 after their LSU loss. But the committee has never left out a 1 loss conference champion. The only time a non-conference champ was taken over a conference champ, the conference champ had 2 or more losses. I’m not saying it couldn’t happen, but if it does, it will bring a lot of consternation and controversy to the playoff model and process.

On the list of criteria the CFP Committee uses, conference champion is listed first. I have to believe that if Utah/Oklahoma and Alabama have similar SOS, the conference championship and 12th win give the edge.
    Bring on the consternation and controversy, the sooner this thing gets pushed to 8 the better. The fact that this conservation has to happen is ridiculous.

Bring on the consternation and controversy, the sooner this thing gets pushed to 8 the better. The fact that this conservation has to happen is ridiculous.
    I agree. This reminds me of 2004 when Utah had to have things break just right to get into the top 6 of the BCS formula. We were fighting Texas and Cal, and Cal lost the last week, and Utah won holding off a 1 loss Texas team.

At least this year, if we win out but get left out, Utah gets the Rose Bowl as a consolation prize.

Maybe it goes to 6 rather than 8. The BCS was made to keep money and access to the national championship in the hands of the haves. 6 teams takes all power 5 champions with room for an at large bid.

Guys, come on. Utah is going to lose to Oregon.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Just for the record, this would be my absolute preference and it wouldn't surprise me. I just have a hunch that a non traditional power in Utah, from a conference that has been viewed as weak by the committee in the playoff era, gets the benefit of the doubt against a blue blood.

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

I’m not so sure, especially after what I saw last night. I’m glad I’m not nearly as bothered by Utah’s success as I once might have been. Still, go Ducks!

I enjoyed watching Oregon crap the bed last night. Silly ducks.

That said, Go Ducks!

Suomalainen New Mexican Disaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    I’m not so sure, especially after what I saw last night. I’m glad I’m not nearly as bothered by Utah’s success as I once might have been. Still, go Ducks!
    You need to get right with God. There has never been a better time to be bothered by the success of those bastards. I hope they lose by 50 to Oregon.