Thread: The End of Baseball

Default The End of Baseball

I thought this was an interesting read on the 1994 baseball strike:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...994-mlb-strike

The 94 strike put an end to my baseball interest. I was a Montreal Expos fan growing up cheering for Tim Raines, Andre Dawson, and Gary Carter.

When 94 came around the Expos had the best record in baseball and looked poised to make a run for the World Series. The strike hit and that was that. I left on my mission shortly after.

When I came back the Expos weren't much of a team outside of Pedro Martinez. I didn't follow them much and haven't really followed baseball for the last 25 years.

This did it for me as well.

That and baseball is really boring.

My kids in baseball: ball, ball, strike, ball, strike, ball, walk. ball, ball (passed ball stolen base), strike, ball, etc. Everyone looks bored. Right fielder picking dandelions.
    My kids in soccer: everyone running around having fun, everyone gets a juice box after the game.
    Easy decision.

Signature won a Pulitzer Paperback Writer's Avatar

I'll always be a MLB and Red Sox fan. I enjoy watching MLB because I played the sport and cannot say the same thing about soccer. All my kids played both baseball/softball and soccer. Watching youth baseball/softball was at times painful compared to soccer. However, when they got older and got better at baseball/softball, it became a lot more enjoyable to watch while watching soccer became more painful in comparison. Would be interesting to see a poll on which was more boring to watch: MLB or professional soccer.
    “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
    "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

I went to a AA game this past summer. The game flew by. By the third inning I had realized they actually enforce the pitch clock, which caused the at bats to go quicker. The game lasted maybe 2.5 hours. I came away more interested until I tried to watch an MLB game. It’s just too slow and only seems interesting if it’s the playoffs.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    I went to a AA game this past summer. The game flew by. By the third inning I had realized they actually enforce the pitch clock, which caused the at bats to go quicker. The game lasted maybe 2.5 hours. I came away more interested until I tried to watch an MLB game. It’s just too slow and only seems interesting if it’s the playoffs.
    Didn't realize they still had segregated leagues.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by beefytee View Post
    I thought this was an interesting read on the 1994 baseball strike:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...994-mlb-strike

The 94 strike put an end to my baseball interest. I was a Montreal Expos fan growing up cheering for Tim Raines, Andre Dawson, and Gary Carter.

When 94 came around the Expos had the best record in baseball and looked poised to make a run for the World Series. The strike hit and that was that. I left on my mission shortly after.

When I came back the Expos weren't much of a team outside of Pedro Martinez. I didn't follow them much and haven't really followed baseball for the last 25 years.
    You could call the 94 strike the end of baseball for the Expos. I was watching an Expos game a few weeks back, and they were talking about that very thing, and how they really never recovered and had to move. As a Royals fan, I'm not one who can throw stones--we really only do anything special every 30 years or so.