• Have you ever set foot in a prison?

Jails don't count....
    Yes
    55.00%
    No
    45.00%
    We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Yes.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Yes and I am convinced that I could never last a week in a prison.

Comment

I’ve been in some medieval castles that served as prisons. Otherwise I’ve never been in a modern prison. I’ve had inmates from prison come and see me, however.
        "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

Originally posted by hostile View Post
          I’ve been in some medieval castles that served as prisons. Otherwise I’ve never been in a modern prison. I’ve had inmates from prison come and see me, however.
          Which castles have you been in? I've been told that Eastern Europe has some amazing ones.
          We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
            Which castles have you been in? I've been told that Eastern Europe has some amazing ones.
            Mostly the UK. Castle Rushen on the Isle of Man, Stirling Castle in Scotland, Tower of London. The Bastille in Paris (the site where it was, so not technically inside)
            Last edited by hostile; 08-09-2019, 08:45 AM.
            "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

I voted no as I assume the poll refers to currently operating prisons, and I've beaten the raps thus far. But I enjoy visiting shuttered prisons, including Eastern State Penitentiary outside of Philly, Kilmainham Gaol in Dublin (featured in several movies) and, of course, Alcatraz. We returned to Alcatraz last week with Parrothead's family, my first time there in nearly 40 years and it was great. They have a very good audio guide that's narrated by former guards and inmates.

Comment

Does Alcatraz count?
                A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

I've been in both the Old Idaho Penitentiary and the two currently operating prisons near Boise (one of which was previously owned and operated by a contracted party).
                  "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                  - Goatnapper'96

Comment

I've been in prison once or twice.

Comment

I took a deposition in prison about 6-7 years ago. It was in a negligent security case where two patrons at a bar had bets riding on opposite sides of the Oklahoma-Florida national championship game (2009? 2010?). The guy who had Oklahoma was being super rowdy and disruptive, and as Oklahoma's situation worsened, so did his mood. The other guy told him to pipe down and they ended up nose to nose for a minute (I think I only watched the bar surveillance footage about 4,000 times). Oklahoma bettor ultimately responds how any rational losing bettor would--by going outside, getting a knife, waiting for the other guy to leave, and then jumping him and stabbing him in the parking lot. The guy bled out and was dead before the ambulance reached the ER.

The Oklahoma stabber plead guilty and was serving his time in prison when the victim's family brought a suit for negligent security against the bar (essentially alleging that the bar and its security should have done more to prevent the incident--not a bad position, considering the stabber's checkered past and his regular patronage of this particular bar). I got assigned to go to the prison and take the stabber's depo in the civil case. There we sat, court reporter, myself, and the attorney for the other side. We were in the open cafeteria sitting at one of the lunch tables with both the table and the chairs bolted to the ground. Meanwhile, other prison inmates were milling about--no private rooms for depositions at the prison. I had finished getting some of the background info out of the way on the record and were just getting ready to dive into the gory details of the incident, when this guy states that he has a pending appeal. An appeal of a guilty plea? WTF!

So we take a break and make a few calls and, sure enough, the guy has a pending appeal for ineffective assistance of counsel. Obviously this complicates things, as anything he says in this civil deposition may provide information that could be used against him were he to successfully overturn his plea and be awarded a jury trial. Once advised of this risk, he pleads the fifth as to all details of the subject incident, and the deposition ends.

So I guess what i'm saying is I spent an hour in prison for a deposition that didn't yield any substantive information. But I guess now I can answer in the affirmative to any polls asking if I have set foot in a prison. So there's that.
                      Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

It's dumb that the lunch room was the best they could come up with.

Comment

Why exclude jails?
                          τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Originally posted by All-American View Post
                            Why exclude jails?
                            Patience. Gotta leave something for the next poll.

Comment

I don't remember much about the details or how it was arranged anymore, but I went to the prison in Draper to help with a church service there.

It was a bit surreal going through various locked doors to get into where the inmates were hanging around. I was mostly an observer - someone else did the speaking.

It was interesting, but nothing to get super excited about.

Comment

Working...
                              X