• Time
  • Show
Clear All

A city jail, but not a prison.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie View Post
      I don't remember much about the details or how it was arranged anymore, but I went to the prison in Draper to help with a church service there.

It was a bit surreal going through various locked doors to get into where the inmates were hanging around. I was mostly an observer - someone else did the speaking.

It was interesting, but nothing to get super excited about.
      My dad does this now as one of his callings.
      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by All-American View Post
        Why exclude jails?
        You're most welcome to tell jail stories....
        We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Comment

Originally posted by hostile View Post
          Mostly the UK. Castle Rushen on the Isle of Man, Stirling Castle in Scotland, Tower of London. The Bastille in Paris (the site where it was, so not technically inside)
          I've been quite a few castles in Germany as well as a few in Britain
          I've also been a military stockade, but I don't know if that would qualify

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

I played softball on a team that played inside a prison against a couple of inmate teams. They were very appreciative that we came to visit and play. I also umpired softball in a league that included a team of inmates. For the most part, those games were no different than the hundreds of other games I umpired during my college years but I did have one experience that got a little dicey. The game got started on the wrong foot when an inmate accused me of using a "fixed" coin on the coin flip to determine home team. Seems he had never seen a fifty cent piece before and I had to show him that it did not contain heads on both sides and he had to be reassured by his teammates that it was a legitimate coin. Later in the game when some close calls (and some not so close calls) didn't go the inmates way, he started threatening me, telling me that he would hold me responsible. The guards asked me if I wanted him removed from the field (their manager already substituted for him) to wait on the prison bus but I thought it best to let him remain in the dugout. The inmate team came back and won the game and secretly I was glad because I was terrified that I would be "held responsible" if they lost.
            “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
            "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

Originally posted by CJF View Post
              Does Alcatraz count?
              Wait! I've been to Alcatraz. Should I change my vote?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
                Wait! I've been to Alcatraz. Should I change my vote?
                Was it a prison when you were there? Was it a tourist destination?

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Comment

Yes. The good part about being on death row is that you get your own suite. Nobody is going to stab you in the liver while you're sleeping.
                  When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                    Yes. The good part about being on death row is that you get your own suite. Nobody is going to stab you in the liver while you're sleeping.
                    Sounds like you're enjoying the accommodations.
                    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

I think a cool calling would be to minister in a prison branch.

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                        That reminds me. I need to get back with a lady in our ward who is serving there with her husband. She asked me a couple weeks ago about voice lessons for some of the prisoners. My wife is encouraging me, and since I would need an accompanist, I would be bringing her anyhow.
                        “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

I've heard it's very rewarding. I also people who've helped facilitate 12-step meetings in correctional facilities enjoy it.

You can always volunteer to help them with life skills or something. I'd thought about volunteering to help county inmates with learning how to read.

Comment

My parents did that at the youth detention center. One of their favorite callings.
                            "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

Originally posted by Copelius View Post
                              That reminds me. I need to get back with a lady in our ward who is serving there with her husband. She asked me a couple weeks ago about voice lessons for some of the prisoners. My wife is encouraging me, and since I would need an accompanist, I would be bringing her anyhow.
                              That would be very cool.

Ministering to those in prison--doesn't get much more Christ-like than that.

Comment

A good friend of mine and his wife have a five year calling to the Davis County jail. They are among 5 senior couples from our stake. They absolutely love it. They have both Sunday and weekday assignments.
                                A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

Working...
                                X