Freezer camp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freezer camp

My niece has started raising rabbits. Sometimes a momma rabbit decide to eat her babies. Sometimes a rabbit starts biting the niece's kids. For whatever reason, those naughty rabbits get introduced to freezer camp. My niece mentioned that she made meatballs using rabbit, so I suggested that she invite the rabbits to a fireside, aka the Traeger. So she took me up on it a couple of weeks ago.

She had 7 rabbits all processed (by nephews on her husband's side), so I decided to try 3 different cooking methods. 1) dry rub on the smoker 2) wrapped in bacon on the smoker 3) dry rub in the Dutch oven. Based on comments around the web, the smoked rabbits got 4 hours at 225, and the Dutch oven rabbits got 2.5 hours, with diced potatoes added for the last hour. I also added a cup of chicken stock in the Dutch oven.

Four hours was a bit long for the rabbits with simple rub on them; they were fairly dry. But the others were nicely moist, and the niece and her kids quite liked it all. I also made jalapeno poppers to add a little spice. Here are a few pictures. The rabbit meatballs were made from the thigh meat of the rabbit missing its thighs in the picture.

20190721_130355-small.jpg

20190721_134106-small.jpg

20190721_162638-small.jpg
Working...
X