• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SoCalCoug View Post
    Yeah, but it was a total accident.
    Don't leave us hanging....
    We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Comment

I still don't under stand what "drop the mic" actually means. From the answers so far, apparently it has something to do with the courtroom.

Definitely different from the definition in the urban dictionary.

Comment

Have you had a "drop the mic" moment?

In the Fall of my first year at Utah State, I got a job working in the Anti-Viral Research lab on campus. Given that we worked with an assortment of nasties, including influenza, cow pox, and Hep C, I was given a list of things to get vaccinated for before I could handle any of the viruses or infected animals and sent to one of the clinics in the beautiful Cache Valley.

I walk into the clinic and approach the receptionist. After giving her a break down of what shots I was in need of, she collected several information sheets on each one of the shots I would be receiving that afternoon. Sheets titled, “Facts About Influenza” and “Who Should Get the Hep B Vaccination?” I take my new reading material and take a seat in the waiting room. After about 10 minutes, she calls me back to the window to pass over the ubiquitous doctor’s office clip board with personal information forms to fill out. As she hands me the clip board, she gives me a big smile and asks, “what does a nice clean cut young man like you need all of these nasty shots for?”

In retrospect, I can only assume that I looked a lot like many of the soon to be Elders that had proceeded me into that office for the required shots before taking their mission trips around the world. Maybe this was a creative way for her to ask me where I about to embark in the service of our Lord. But no. After the literature she had just told me to read, this seemed like a clumsy inquiry, with the potential to really embarrass future patience.

I want to say that I had put a lot of thought and consideration into my response. That I had decided to give up some of my dignity so save someone at a future day of having to make a similar decision. But the reality is that I’m, by nature, a smart ass. Someone that has a long history of inappropriate public pronouncements, so long as there’s a 20% chance of someone within ear shot of appreciating the humor. And given that I’m typically within my own ear shot, that tends to be enough.

So I stood there, saturated in the beige tones and Muzak. I slowly rose the pamphlets in my hand, pointed to #2 and voiced my answer: “I have unprotected sex with men.”

It became clear that she wasn’t going to manage to find words to respond, so I turned to return to my seat. Remember again that this was early Fall. Peak flu shot campaign season. Only then did I become acutely aware of the number of elderly couples and mothers with young children with me in the waiting room.

That was 20 years ago and I’m still not confident that it was the best response. But I am confident, that that was the last time that receptionist ever asked someone she’s known for all of 45 seconds, why they needed a Hepatitis vaccination. And, I guess, that’s enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Last edited by Dwight Schr-ute; 07-21-2019, 06:59 PM.
        I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
          In the Fall of my first year at Utah State, I got a job working in the Anti-Viral Research lab on campus. Given that we worked with an assortment of nasties, including influenza, cow pox, and Hep C, I was given a list of things to get vaccinated for before I could handle any of the viruses or infected animals and sent to one of the clinics in the beautiful Cache Valley.

I walk into the clinic and approach the receptionist. After giving her a break down of what shots I was in need of, she collected several information sheets on each one of the shots I would be receiving that afternoon. Sheets titled, “Facts About Influenza” and “Who Should Get the Hep B Vaccination?” I take my new reading material and take a seat in the waiting room. After about 10 minutes, she calls me back to the window to pass over the ubiquitous doctor’s office clip board with personal information forms to fill out. As she hands me the clip board, she gives me a big smile and asks, “what does a nice clean cut young man like you need all of these nasty shots for?”

In retrospect, I can only assume that I looked a lot like many of the soon to be Elders that had proceeded me into that office for the required shots before taking their mission trips around the world. Maybe this was a creative way for her to ask me where I about to embark in the service of our Lord. But no. After the literature she had just told me to read, this seemed like a clumsy inquiry, with the potential to really embarrass future patience.

I want to say that I had put a lot of thought and consideration into my response. That I had decided to give up some of my dignity so save someone at a future day of having to make a similar decision. But the reality is that I’m, by nature, a smart ass. Someone that has a long history of inappropriate public pronouncements, so long as there’s a 20% chance of someone within ear shot of appreciating the humor. And given that I’m typically within my own ear shot, that tends to be enough.

So I stood there, saturated in the beige tones and Muzak. I slowly rose the pamphlets in my hand, pointed to #2 and voiced my answer: “I have unprotected sex with men.”

It became clear that she wasn’t going to manage to find words to respond, so I turned to return to my seat. Remember again that this was early Fall. Peak flu shot campaign season. Only then did I become acutely aware of the number of elderly couples and mothers with young children with me in the waiting room.

That was 20 years ago and I’m still not confident that it was the best response. But I am confident, that that was the last time that receptionist ever asked a someone she’s known for all of 45 seconds, why they’d need a Hepatitis vaccination. And, I guess, that’s enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          That's hilarious, Dwight.
          "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
          "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
          - SeattleUte

Comment

Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
            That's hilarious, Dwight.
            Not only was his statement hilarious, it was also true.
            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Thank you, Dwight. From the bottom of my pin-cushioned heart, thank you.

Comment

"Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
                "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
                This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
                "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
                "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

I’ll add this here for Copelius:

http://www.cougarstadium.com/showthr...=1#post1421361

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalCoug View Post
                    Yeah, but it was a total accident.
                    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

This week, I've been negotiating a contract against a lawyer who is notoriously difficult to work with. Admittedly, I was asking her client to agree to something far outside of the norm in these types of contracts, but the circumstances justify it. Before the call, I told my client, "They want this deal. She's going to push back hard because she's more interested in looking like a badass than doing what's best for her client. If she doesn't accept my revisions fully, we thank them for their time, tell them we have to go in a different direction, and hang up." My client agreed.

I gave my pitch for the provision, and as predicted their attorney countered (with a weak argument, BTW), and we followed the script. As I was reaching to hit the speaker-off button, I heard the other attorney say, "Wait, I didn't realize this was a dealbre...." Ten minutes later, I got an email confirming that they were okay with the provision as I drafted it.
                      Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                        This week, I've been negotiating a contract against a lawyer who is notoriously difficult to work with. Admittedly, I was asking her client to agree to something far outside of the norm in these types of contracts, but the circumstances justify it. Before the call, I told my client, "They want this deal. She's going to push back hard because she's more interested in looking like a badass than doing what's best for her client. If she doesn't accept my revisions fully, we thank them for their time, tell them we have to go in a different direction, and hang up." My client agreed.

I gave my pitch for the provision, and as predicted their attorney countered (with a weak argument, BTW), and we followed the script. As I was reaching to hit the speaker-off button, I heard the other attorney say, "Wait, I didn't realize this was a dealbre...." Ten minutes later, I got an email confirming that they were okay with the provision as I drafted it.
                        Nice.
                        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Working...
                        X