Knives of the Round Table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knives of the Round Table

What are the most essential knives in your kitchen?

How do you sharpen a serrated knife?

What's the best value in a kitchen knife set?

Am I better off getting steak knives separate from the rest of the knives?
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Originally posted by Pelado View Post

Best knife value? Victorinox. You can get every essential knife you need from them on Amazon. They're really sharp. Keep their edge and really affordable. You need a good chef's knife which is your all purpose knife. A good paring knife and a boning knife. I have all from Victorinox with the fibrox handle. The local butcher shop only uses their boning knives. He said they're cheap, hold an edge for a long time and are easily sharpened. I agree.

They also have a nice 12" granton blade for slicing. This thing is great for slicing brisket but it's not essential. You can get their bread knife and steak knives as well. You can get everything for ~$100-150 depending on what you want.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle
    sigpic

Comment

I'm pretty sure America's Test Kitchen voted them their favorite knives. Look at the reviews. They're plentiful and all excellent.
      -Turtle
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
        I'm pretty sure America's Test Kitchen voted them their favorite knives. Look at the reviews. They're plentiful and all excellent.
        I've been watching some ATK lately, but had only seen their review of serrated knives (they picked the Mercer). Looks like for most other knives, they picked Victorinox.
        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

We received a base set of Henckel knives for our wedding and still have them. They are durable but I haven’t kept the edges as sharp as I should. Over the years I have purchased some expensive Shun knives. They look amazing and initially are very sharp. I have been disappointed in the blades, however. They chip easily. I have a paring knife and chefs knife that have both lost their tips and segments of their edge. I suspect it is my kids using them incorrectly. Recently I have been using knives from New West KnifeWorks. I really like their construction and the edges are sharp and durable. No chips yet.

I think you need a good chefs knife and paring knife. I have a Santoku that I use for vegetables. Like Surfah, I use my serrated bread knife more for brisket than for bread.
          "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

https://altonbrown.com/10-knife-buying-tips/

Comment

Originally posted by hostile View Post
              We received a base set of Henckel knives for our wedding and still have them. They are durable but I haven’t kept the edges as sharp as I should. Over the years I have purchased some expensive Shun knives. They look amazing and initially are very sharp. I have been disappointed in the blades, however. They chip easily. I have a paring knife and chefs knife that have both lost their tips and segments of their edge. I suspect it is my kids using them incorrectly. Recently I have been using knives from New West KnifeWorks. I really like their construction and the edges are sharp and durable. No chips yet.

I think you need a good chefs knife and paring knife. I have a Santoku that I use for vegetables. Like Surfah, I use my serrated bread knife more for brisket than for bread.
              I've always wanted a really nice knife set. But like you said, with kids spending more time in the kitchen and using them for all kinds of things they shouldn't, I don't want to risk them breaking the tip off a knife that costs a couple hundred dollars. Much easier to replace the $30 Victorinox.

Also, the granton knife I was talking about is not serrated. It's a 12" slicing knife made for cutting meats. It's a really great knife. But at $60 while still affordable, isn't essential. I'd get serrated bread knife, chef's knife, paring knife and boning knife and call it good.

I also have a santoku that I love but I feel the chef's knife can do everything it can and more. I use my boning knife all the time to trim meats. It's the second most used knife next to the chef's knife.
              -Turtle
              sigpic

Comment

One really good chef's knife. I have a Global chef's knife. I need to get it sharpened though.

You don't sharpen a serrated knife. You get this one and you use it until it is dull and then you buy another one.
                https://www.amazon.com/F-8505518-Pro...gateway&sr=8-6

Don't buy a kitchen knife set. You are going to get a bunch of knives that you aren't going to use.

Surfah is right with the best knife value. The Victorinox is a good chef's knife.
                As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Originally posted by hostile View Post

Henckel knives (and seeing the ATK review of serrated knives) is what got me thinking of this topic in the first place. I saw a Henckel set on sale at Costco and, knowing our knives are not that great, bought it and took it home. I hadn't even used them yet when the Mrs. decided (also without using them) that she didn't like them.

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                  I've always wanted a really nice knife set. But like you said, with kids spending more time in the kitchen and using them for all kinds of things they shouldn't, I don't want to risk them breaking the tip off a knife that costs a couple hundred dollars. Much easier to replace the $30 Victorinox.

Also, the granton knife I was talking about is not serrated. It's a 12" slicing knife made for cutting meats. It's a really great knife. But at $60 while still affordable, isn't essential. I'd get serrated bread knife, chef's knife, paring knife and boning knife and call it good.

I also have a santoku that I love but I feel the chef's knife can do everything it can and more. I use my boning knife all the time to trim meats. It's the second most used knife next to the chef's knife.
                  What can the chef's knife do that the santoku can't?

Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
                  You don't sharpen a serrated knife. You get this one and you use it until it is dull and then you buy another one.
                  https://www.amazon.com/F-8505518-Pro...gateway&sr=8-6

Only seven inches? How can anyone work with such a small tool?
                  - Goatnapper'96

Comment

What can the chef's knife do that the santoku can't?
                    A santoku knife has a drop point. A chef's knife doesn't and you can use it for things you'd typically use a boning knife for.
                    -Turtle
                    sigpic

Comment

We're not fancy knife people at our house. We've had the same "main" knife for 35 years. It must have cost $4.99 brand new. You can tell it's old because the blade is well worn. To sharpen I spend about 30 seconds with it once a month with some 100 grit sand paper. The thing cuts like a champ. You can spend more - but when performance is more than adequate - why bother. Our serrated knife is actually the side of a long handled barbecue flipper. We have others - but it works so well it's the go-to serration tool. All told - we have four knifes - and had all of them for more than 25 years.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                      -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

I need to replace our pull out cutting board that slides into the drawer space in our cabinets. Anyone know where I can get a good quality replacement for one of those? I'm not seeing much selection on Amazon or the rest of the web.

Comment

Working...
                        X