Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Going to Hawaii

Default Going to Hawaii

I'm going to be in Hawaii in the beginning of October. Where should I go? What should I do? What shouldn't I miss? What do I have to eat? I know a bunch of you on here have either been there or lived there, so bring any and all suggestions. TIA.

Aren't you in law school right now? Get studying, pal!

Philosophical Goldilocks Gidget's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by I.J. Reilly View Post
    I'm going to be in Hawaii in the beginning of October. Where should I go? What should I do? What shouldn't I miss? What do I have to eat? I know a bunch of you on here have either been there or lived there, so bring any and all suggestions. TIA.
    What island(s) will you be on?
    I am a philosophical Goldilocks, always looking for something neither too big nor too small, neither too hot nor too cold, something jussssst right. I'll send you a card from purgatory. - PAC

You know how President Hinckley said he doesn't worry about those who pray? The same can be said for men who are self-aware enough to know when there's a life to be lived outside of the world of video games. - Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Gidget View Post
    What island(s) will you be on?
    Well, our flight is landing on Oahu, but we're considering going to Maui. I'm not sure what it takes to travel between islands (a flight, I suppose), but when we bought our tickets it was super cheap to fly to Honolulu, so that's where we bought our tickets to.

Quote Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
    Aren't you in law school right now? Get studying, pal!
    Yeah, I am in school right now. Fortunately, BYU gives us a placement break in the beginning of October. I've got nowhere to be placed yet, so I'll be taking full advantage.

there is only one thing you should be doing in Hawaii: surfing. If you spend your time doing anything else, you are wasting precious time.

From what I understand, some people go there to sleep during the day, read books, and play golf. Who knew?
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    there is only one thing you should be doing in Hawaii: surfing. If you spend your time doing anything else, you are wasting precious time.

From what I understand, some people go there to sleep during the day, read books, and play golf. Who knew?
    I have never surfed a day in my life. Looks like it could be fun, but I'm not sure that a week is long enough to pick it up and I'm pretty sure I would look like a fool. That being said, I'm willing to try. Where should I go? Will I just look dumb on the North Shore with everyone else that really knows how to surf? What size/type of board is good for a beginner? Do I need to get an instructor of some sort, or can I just stick myself out there and hope for the best?

I have never surfed a day in my life. Looks like it could be fun, but I'm not sure that a week is long enough to pick it up and I'm pretty sure I would look like a fool. That being said, I'm willing to try. Where should I go? Will I just look dumb on the North Shore with everyone else that really knows how to surf? What size/type of board is good for a beginner? Do I need to get an instructor of some sort, or can I just stick myself out there and hope for the best?
    you can rent a longboard and be standing up within 25 minutes, no problem. don't worry about inexperience. best place to learn on oahu is at waikiki, simply because there are loads of longboards to rent (12 foot epoxies....those things are like canoes....you can stand up on a tiny 6 inch wave if you wanted), the sets come in consistently, and the paddle out is easy.

The North Shore is big in the winter, flat in the summer, so right now there isn't much going on, although I imagine by October that it could be intermittently decent.

Like anything else, having a lesson pays big dividends. If you are completely by yourself, it might get frustrating.

The other reason that waikiki is good is because it is a known haoli spot. There is no localism there. You have to be aware and respectful of localism around the island. Hundreds of breaks all over the place, but not all of them are for mainlanders.

I promise you will have a blast.

Ok, having dated two people from Hawaii, and having married one, I can say you WILL look dumb trying to learn to surf at the North Shore. If you do go there go where there are tourists and don't let some local fool you into gettin the good waves at v-land or some other un-official locals only spot. Go somewhere like Castles beach or Hukilau where the waves are medium and on the sand. That's just my two cents from what I know.

You gotta go to the Polynesian Cultural Center in La'ie next to BYU-Hawaii campus. Seems really touristy and it is, but it is worth it. Lots of cool stuff to see and learn there.

Matsumoto's Shave Ice in Haleiwa is a cool place everyone likes to go. Haleiwa is just a cool little town anyway I think.

Do visit the North Shore and see what's going on. There were a few surf competitions going on at Pipeline when I was there, and it was rad!
    I am a philosophical Goldilocks, always looking for something neither too big nor too small, neither too hot nor too cold, something jussssst right. I'll send you a card from purgatory. - PAC

You know how President Hinckley said he doesn't worry about those who pray? The same can be said for men who are self-aware enough to know when there's a life to be lived outside of the world of video games. - Anonymous

Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar

FWIW I hated Maui. I think you could have the exact same experience in SoCal that you can have in Maui. Oahu has some cool stuff but is really touristy. Hawaii was fun, mainly because it was our honeymoon and we stayed at a fun hotel. Kauai was my favorite, if/when we go back to Hawaii that is where I plan to go.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Strikes and Gutters chrisrenrut's Avatar

If you go to Maui, the Road to Hana is overrated, unless you can do it on motorcycles. It will take you to some beautiful places, but it will also take all day.
    Snorkeling was one of the funnest things we did (we aren't scuba certified). Molokini snorkel cruise was fun, but we talked to people who scubad just of the west coast near Lahaina that saw more and better fish.
    I did take surfing lessons in Lahaina and had a blast. They guarantee to get you up on a wave and no one in our group failed, so give it a try if you are so inclined on either island.

Corporate lackey for Jesus Jeff Lebowski's Avatar

Let me know if you like to snorkel and you decide on Maui. We found some great spots.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Striving for mediocrity Art Vandelay's Avatar

Save your pennies, or increase your student loans, and play Kapalua Planation Course. One of the most beautiful golf courses I have ever seen.

Do visit the North Shore and see what's going on. There were a few surf competitions going on at Pipeline when I was there, and it was rad!
    Isn't Oregon a little too far north for you to be using the word "rad"? Your husband notwithstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Isn't Oregon a little too far north for you to be using the word "rad"? Your husband notwithstanding.
    Not at all. Rad is a regular part of my vocabulary, as is "right on" which I have always thought to be an Oregon phrase mostly because my dad says it all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    If you go to Maui, the Road to Hana is overrated, unless you can do it on motorcycles. It will take you to some beautiful places, but it will also take all day.
    Snorkeling was one of the funnest things we did (we aren't scuba certified). Molokini snorkel cruise was fun, but we talked to people who scubad just of the west coast near Lahaina that saw more and better fish.
    I did take surfing lessons in Lahaina and had a blast. They guarantee to get you up on a wave and no one in our group failed, so give it a try if you are so inclined on either island.
    I'll 2nd the Molokini snorkel cruise. Golfing at Kapalua is pretty nice too.

Are you taking kids along?

Oahu - Lots of people. PCC is nice and the north shore is beautiful.

Kauai - It is what you picture Hawaii to be. Lush and quiet. Their is a beach just past Hanaiei that is paradise.

Maui - Is kind of a cross between the other two. Not as crowded but also not as much to do.

Corporate lackey for Jesus Jeff Lebowski's Avatar

If this is your first time in Hawaii, you definitely need to visit Pearl Harbor. That probably goes without saying, but there you go.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
    Are you taking kids along?

Oahu - Lots of people. PCC is nice and the north shore is beautiful.

Kauai - It is what you picture Hawaii to be. Lush and quiet. Their is a beach just past Hanaiei that is paradise.

Maui - Is kind of a cross between the other two. Not as crowded but also not as much to do.
    No, no kids. We don't have any and were thus spared the inevitable pain of separation when we left them behind.

And JL, yes, this is our first time going (it's kinda a make-up for the honeymoon in Vegas/San Diego) and we will be visiting Pearl Harbor. To DDD's delight, I don't think I'll be taking any pictures of me smiling and giving thumbs up in front of signs commemorating the lives lost.

Thanks so far for everybody's suggestions. Keep 'em coming. I'll definitely bring them to the table with the wife when we finally decide on where to get a hotel room.

Not at all. Rad is a regular part of my vocabulary, as is "right on" which I have always thought to be an Oregon phrase mostly because my dad says it all the time.
    That's because "right on" is a hippie phrase, and Oregon is full of hippies. I've always considered "rad" to be a southern california invention.

Speaking of 80s socal terms, I notice that no one has bothered to revive "tubular." Gidget, I would have no problem if you started using that one.

Using this existing thread for my question....

What's considered proper attire for attending Sacrament Meeting in Hawaii? Hopefully not a suit and tie.

Thanks....

Ok, having dated two people from Hawaii, and having married one
    Oh? Who was the other one?

Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar

Did I.J. just never return from paradise?
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Grooveshark dick tease MarkGrace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post

What's considered proper attire for attending Sacrament Meeting in Hawaii? Hopefully not a suit and tie.

Thanks....
    slippers, short sleeve shirt, tie.

Glad you bumped this thread instead of Oahu, Wahoo. That has to be among the five worst thread titles ever on this board.
    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

attending Church while in Hawaii?

Thanks....

I think the proper attire for church in Hawaii is to not go to church in Hawaii when on a vacation. To be honest, I think even God would understand.

Quote Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    attending Church while in Hawaii?
    Someone from his ward must read this site.

Thanks....
    Church is not required if you are twenty five miles from your home.

Quote Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
    Church is not required if you are twenty five miles from your home.
    I hear that once you pass 100 miles from home you can even get a Word of Wisdom waiver from the Bishop.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    I hear that once you pass 100 miles from home you can even get a Word of Wisdom waiver from the Bishop.
    100 miles or three counties, whichever is less.
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.