Going to Hawaii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by HBCoug View Post
    Just came back from Maui and Lanai a couple weeks ago. The walk back to that gate and the realization you're leaving is such a cruel juxtaposition to that euphoric feeling of walking off the plane and realizing your trip is just starting. My fiancé actually has a legit opportunity to take a nice role out there with her company. I figure I could just sell tacos and surf.
    Now THAT is living the dream!
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      Love Black Rock. We are staying in a couple of condos at The Whaler.
      I have sooo many food suggestions, Dude. Lemme know if interested or if you already have that on lock.

Comment

I have sooo many food suggestions, Dude. Lemme know if interested or if you already have that on lock.
        Would love suggestions!

We just made reservations today for Mama's Fish House. You have to book that weeks in advance.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Would love suggestions!
          Coconut's Fish Cafe in Kihei. Order the fish taco. It's not like any other fish taco that I've had and looks more like a tostada really, but it's really, really good.

You need to visit the Hoopiilani Food Truck Park at the south end of Lower Honoapiilani Rd. There are approximately a dozen different food trucks there with some very good food. There is one truck just for drinks so that all the others don't have to deal with anything but the food.

Up north, visit Napili Plaza on Napilihau St. We like Mama's Ribs and Rotiserie for mix plate, and Maui Tacos is also good.

Also, you MUST visit Island Cream Co in Lahaina on Keawe St - the one you take for the Lahaina bypass. One of the few Yelp five-star places that deserves the rating. Best ice cream anywhere.

Comment

• We prefer Paia Fish Market over Coconuts. Coconuts food is good, but their employees and policies are not friendly the last few times we have been there.

We have never had a a bad experience or dish at any of the Paia Fish Market ligations (Paia, Kihei, or Lahaina).

Side note, I had a MRSA infection on my leg a few weeks back, and am in a wound care protocol, so no getting in the water for me this trip (any pity sadly accepted). But I am required to have over 100 grams of protein each day to accelerate healing. Having Paia Fish Market and their Mahi dishes has made it much more enjoyable.

Comment

• Originally posted by chrisrenrut View Post
              We prefer Paia Fish Market over Coconuts. Coconuts food is good, but their employees and policies are not friendly the last few times we have been there.
              I went to the one in Kapaa on Kauai and assumed the one in Kehei was going to be similar. The owner came out and talked to us. Their employees definitely all had great attitudes.

I've only been to the Paia Fish Market in the town of Paia. Good luck finding parking anywhere near that one.

Comment

• Sweet! Way ahead of the game day thread.

So who will the opponent be? Talk is they’ll just have Hawaii do it but some guy on CB swears he heard Hawaii will be going to the mainland.
                τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Originally posted by All-American View Post
                  Sweet! Way ahead of the game day thread.

So who will the opponent be? Talk is they’ll just have Hawaii do it but some guy on CB swears he heard Hawaii will be going to the mainland.
                  CoachSpeak's (I think that's his name) son plays for Hawaii. He said the other day that coaches were telling players not to have their families buy airfare to the islands yet because they might have a mainland bowl.
                  "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                  - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Would love suggestions!

We just made reservations today for Mama's Fish House. You have to book that weeks in advance.
                    Mama's is probably as close to a Maui must do as one can get. Awesome location and a really good menu. Definitely pricey, but the Lebowski's will save money on the unconsumed Mai Tais. Their Polynesian Black Pearl (that's the actual name) dessert is insane. Basically a lilikoi creme / chocolate mouse filled chocolate ganache shell.

Speaking of lilikoi, if you're a fan, you need to hit up Donut Dynamite in Wailuku and order some lilikoi filled malasadas. Best donut I've ever had. The owner is this pig-tailed 90 lb bad ass who moved to Maui from SF and who cooks up amazing brioche donuts. They go fast so go early.

Poke: You can find amazing poke all over the island (even their supermarkets make stuff way better than anything you'll find on the mainland), but my favorite is from Tobi's Shave Ice, which is this little shop in Paia across the street from Paia Fish Market. I know it sounds weird to order poke from a Shave Ice shack, but trust me, you'll be happy you did. My favorite is the suicide poke (not nearly as hot as the name implies). As others have called out, Paia Fish Market is also a great spot for lunch or dinner. All of the fish tastes fresh and awesome. My favorite is blackened Mahi over a Caesar salad.

Restaurants: Let me state up front that Guy Fieri is a huge doucher who I'm pretty sure tells any woman unfortunate enough to spend the evening with him that she's about to "go to Flavor Town," but his DDD show does highlight some pretty great restaurants at times. I've tried several that have appeared on his shows at various times, and most have not disappointed.

Star Noodle: Ridiculously good Asian fusion. If you only order one thing, order the garlic noodles. One of the cheapest items on the menu and just completely packed with flavor. The entire menu is solid and creative.

Da Kitchen: Probably my favorite spot for lunch although it does get super busy. Their fried musubi is really good, but my favorite item by far is the "Polynesian Paralysis Moco Loco." It will absolutely knock you on your ass. So much food. So many naps needed after. This place has all your traditional mix plate lunches and really good noodle dishes too.

Outrigger Pizza: This is just a pizza cart parked in a parking lot in Kihei that makes seriously good pizza right out of a wood-fired oven. Again, the lilikoi pork pizza is amazing and the chicken bacon ranch and spicy buffalo chicken are both fantastic. Haven't had a pizza here that we didn't finish.

808 Deli: Tasty little lunch spot also in Kihei that makes really creative and yummy sandwiches and pasta salads, but the best thing they offer might be the mousse desserts. $5 per container of mousse and every flavor has been incredible.

Tin Roof: Owned by the same chef who created Star Noodle, this is just tasty Hawaiian comfort food. You won't have anywhere to sit and there will likely be a pretty long line, but it moves pretty quickly. You basically want to eat anywhere chef Sheldon Simeon has opened a restaurant.

I've heard great things (but never been) about Kihei Caffe for breakfast, but the breakfast spot I will absolutely recommend is Nalu's South Shore Grill. Huge breakfast menu (chicken and waffles or the ahi benedict are my faves) and it's also a great lunch spot. May need to kick feral chickens out of the way en route to your seat.

Enjoy and then return and report!

Comment

Mama's is probably as close to a Maui must do as one can get. Awesome location and a really good menu. Definitely pricey, but the Lebowski's will save money on the unconsumed Mai Tais. Their Polynesian Black Pearl (that's the actual name) dessert is insane. Basically a lilikoi creme / chocolate mouse filled chocolate ganache shell.

Speaking of lilikoi, if you're a fan, you need to hit up Donut Dynamite in Wailuku and order some lilikoi filled malasadas. Best donut I've ever had. The owner is this pig-tailed 90 lb bad ass who moved to Maui from SF and who cooks up amazing brioche donuts. They go fast so go early.

Poke: You can find amazing poke all over the island (even their supermarkets make stuff way better than anything you'll find on the mainland), but my favorite is from Tobi's Shave Ice, which is this little shop in Paia across the street from Paia Fish Market. I know it sounds weird to order poke from a Shave Ice shack, but trust me, you'll be happy you did. My favorite is the suicide poke (not nearly as hot as the name implies). As others have called out, Paia Fish Market is also a great spot for lunch or dinner. All of the fish tastes fresh and awesome. My favorite is blackened Mahi over a Caesar salad.

Restaurants: Let me state up front that Guy Fieri is a huge doucher who I'm pretty sure tells any woman unfortunate enough to spend the evening with him that she's about to "go to Flavor Town," but his DDD show does highlight some pretty great restaurants at times. I've tried several that have appeared on his shows at various times, and most have not disappointed.

Star Noodle: Ridiculously good Asian fusion. If you only order one thing, order the garlic noodles. One of the cheapest items on the menu and just completely packed with flavor. The entire menu is solid and creative.

Da Kitchen: Probably my favorite spot for lunch although it does get super busy. Their fried musubi is really good, but my favorite item by far is the "Polynesian Paralysis Moco Loco." It will absolutely knock you on your ass. So much food. So many naps needed after. This place has all your traditional mix plate lunches and really good noodle dishes too.

Outrigger Pizza: This is just a pizza cart parked in a parking lot in Kihei that makes seriously good pizza right out of a wood-fired oven. Again, the lilikoi pork pizza is amazing and the chicken bacon ranch and spicy buffalo chicken are both fantastic. Haven't had a pizza here that we didn't finish.

808 Deli: Tasty little lunch spot also in Kihei that makes really creative and yummy sandwiches and pasta salads, but the best thing they offer might be the mousse desserts. $5 per container of mousse and every flavor has been incredible.

Tin Roof: Owned by the same chef who created Star Noodle, this is just tasty Hawaiian comfort food. You won't have anywhere to sit and there will likely be a pretty long line, but it moves pretty quickly. You basically want to eat anywhere chef Sheldon Simeon has opened a restaurant.

I've heard great things (but never been) about Kihei Caffe for breakfast, but the breakfast spot I will absolutely recommend is Nalu's South Shore Grill. Huge breakfast menu (chicken and waffles or the ahi benedict are my faves) and it's also a great lunch spot. May need to kick feral chickens out of the way en route to your seat.

Wow! Thank you. Can’t wait to try some of these out.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Poke: You can find amazing poke all over the island (even their supermarkets make stuff way better than anything you'll find on the mainland)
                        This is true. When my brother lived in Maui, his favorite poke bar was in the back of a convenience store near the airport. And yes, it was pretty good.
                        "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                        "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                        - SeattleUte

Comment

Wow! Thank you. Can’t wait to try some of these out.
                          Some? Based on the descriptions, your mission needs to be to try them all!

Comment

We were able to hit a few of these, I really wanted to try star noodle, but it just didn’t work out. Definitely on our next trip.

Tobi’s shave ice. Huge hit. Super nice people too.

Paia fish market. Blackened mahi-mahi and calamari.

Black pearl at mamas.

Curry fish at mamas is the best curry I have had in my life. Others agreed.

Comment

• Wow, JL.
                              "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

We were able to hit a few of these, I really wanted to try star noodle, but it just didn’t work out. Definitely on our next trip.

Tobi’s shave ice. Huge hit. Super nice people too.

Paia fish market. Blackened mahi-mahi and calamari.

Black pearl at mamas.

Curry fish at mamas is the best curry I have had in my life. Others agreed.

Looks fantastic! Definitely hit up Star Noodle next time - easily one of our favorite spots.

Comment

Working...
                                X