Have you ridden in a hot air balloon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you ridden in a hot air balloon?

There's something wonderful about being carried on the wind over desert, ocean, forest, and city.

In another life I could have been Phileas Fogg.
    Yes
    26.67%
    No
    73.33%
    We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Yes but I only went up a couple hundred feet. People were still holding onto the ropes on the ground. So maybe that doesn't really count.

Comment

Hell no.
      "Nobody listens to Turtle."
      -Turtle
      sigpic

Comment

One of our best travel memories--we rode in one of >50 balloons beginning at sunrise over the Cappadocia region of Turkey, fluctuating between >2,000 feet and near ground level between phallic looking basalt columns (Love Valley) and over cave dwellings and erstwhile underground cities. The missus was terrified at the beginning, but ended up loving it. To anyone visiting Istanbul I can provide details for a great side trip.

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
          One of our best travel memories--we rode in one of >50 balloons beginning at sunrise over the Cappadocia region of Turkey, fluctuating between >2,000 feet and near ground level between phallic looking basalt columns (Love Valley) and over cave dwellings and erstwhile underground cities. The missus was terrified at the beginning, but ended up loving it. To anyone visiting Istanbul I can provide details for a great side trip.
          It might surprise you - but I too am a member of the 2000 high club. Not as prestigious as the mile high club - but I have goal and ambitions.
          Last edited by clackamascoug; 07-04-2019, 11:54 AM.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
          -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

The national hot air balloon championships (yes, there is such a thing) used to be close to where I grew up before the event relocated. We got to ride in a balloon one year with a big 7-Up logo on it. I best remember the ground crew chasing us and trying to catch the basket once we descended.
            "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

That sounds thrilling.

Was there much risk of drifting into Georgia, Iran, Iraq, or Syria?
              Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 07-05-2019, 05:19 PM.
              We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
                That sounds thrilling.

Was there much risk of drifting into Georgia, Iran, Iraq or Syria?
                None, as the flight path is in the center of the country, far away from trouble. Here's a short Rick Steves' video that's an accurate depiction of what we did, although when we took off it was dark and we watched the sunrise.

Comment

None, as the flight path is in the center of the country, far away from trouble. Here's a short Rick Steves' video that's an accurate depiction of what we did, although when we took off it was dark and we watched the sunrise.

That looks amazing. I haven’t ridden in a hot air balloon, but now I want to do that trip.

Also, Rick Steves for president.
                  "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                  "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                  - SeattleUte

Comment

Working...
                  X