what the hell is going on in Oregon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what the hell is going on in Oregon?

I've heard of lawmakers running away to dodge a vote before but teaming up with "militias," and issuing threats seems new.

Oregon Statehouse Shut Down After Lawmakers Team Up With Right-Wing Militias

Oregon’s statehouse shut down for safety concerns on Saturday. But the threats weren’t coming from anonymous trolls or foreign fighters—they were coming from the state’s Republican senators, who have teamed up with right-wing militias to threaten violence over a climate change bill.

Eleven of Oregon’s Senate Republicans fled the state this week to avoid a vote on a bill that would cap greenhouse emissions. The group, believed to be hiding in Idaho, left the state senate with too few lawmakers to hold a vote. But the move is more than a legislative maneuver. The missing senators have partnered with right-wing paramilitary groups to threaten violence, should they be brought back to Oregon.

The state senate had scheduled sessions on Saturday, but cancelled them after reports of several militias’ two-day “Rally to Take the Capitol” this weekend.

“Oregon State Police has recommended that the Capitol be closed tomorrow due to a possible militia threat,” a spokesperson for the senate president told the Associated Press on Friday night.

The trouble started this month, when state Senate Democrats advanced plans for a bill that would cut carbon emissions. Modeled after a similar policy in California, Oregon’s proposed cap and trade bill would restrict fossil fuel emissions, particularly for the industries that create the most pollution. The bill’s proponents say it’s part of a plan to cut emissions by 80 percent by 2050. (Climate scientists and the European Union call for effectively eliminating carbon emissions by 2050, in order to prevent out-of-control climate change.)

But Oregon’s state Republicans weren’t on board, citing increased expenses for Oregon residents and businesses. This week, every Republican in the state senate walked out, rather than vote on the bill.

Walkouts are not unique to Republicans. Democrat lawmakers fled their states in 2003 and 2011 to prevent votes on redistricting and curbing union rights, The Daily Beast previously reported. Oregon has a long history of senate walkouts, including a four-day walkout in May, when Republicans refused to vote on a tax package that would fund schools. They returned to session with the agreement that they would not walk out again.

But this walkout also came with violent threats. Multiple senators are believed to have fled to Idaho, with right-wing militias flocking to their aid. While leaving the statehouse before the walkout, Republican Sen. Brian Boquist implied that police officers who pursued them should be ready to die. “Send bachelors and come heavily armed,” Boquist warned police in a televised interview shortly before his walkout. “I’m not going to be a political prisoner in the state of Oregon. It’s just that simple.”

State police said they were aware of Boquist's remarks, but were not commenting on them. Boquist and his colleagues are supported by several right-wing militias that made more explicit threats.

After Oregon Gov. Kate Brown called on state troopers to return the lawmakers to the capital, the paramilitary group the Oath Keepers suggested violence against her.

“Gov. Brown, you want a civil war, because this is how you get a civil war,” the Oath Keepers wrote on their public Facebook page. Beneath the post, Oath Keeper fans suggesting hanging, arresting, or taking up arms against Brown.

Idaho militia insiders previously told The Daily Beast that paramilitary members in Oregon and Idaho had “mobilized” in defense of the Republican lawmakers, and that they were willing to die for the legislators. One leader compared the situation to the 2014 Malheur National Wildlife Refuge occupation, in which members of a right-wing militia led an armed standoff inside a wildlife sanctuary building. The standoff ended with the death of a militia member.
    https://www.thedailybeast.com/oregon...-wing-militias

Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
    I've heard of lawmakers running away to dodge a vote before but teaming up with "militias," and issuing threats seems new.

Oregon Statehouse Shut Down After Lawmakers Team Up With Right-Wing Militias

https://www.thedailybeast.com/oregon...-wing-militias
    After Oregon Gov. Kate Brown called on state troopers to return the lawmakers to the capital
    talk about burying the lede
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Why did it take so long for this thread title?
      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

My town is at the nexus of hippie and conservative Oregon. Even amongst the farmers and ranchers, there's quite a few community farms that are run by the crunchiest hippies out there. I assume that some of these small farms could be adversely affected by a cap and trade bill. We get our meat and some of our produce from these small farms, so I am sympathetic to what this bill could potentially do to their business. Still, the fleeing republicans are an embarrassment. What a joke.
        "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
        "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
        - SeattleUte

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
          Why did it take so long for this thread title?
          Tillamook.
          "Nobody listens to Turtle."
          -Turtle
          sigpic

Comment

They have a surplus of pot and potheads:

Oregon lawmakers sign 2 laws to deal with massive marijuana surplus

After legalizing marijuana in 2015, officials in Oregon began liberally doling out licenses to growers in an effort to shift sales away from the black market toward the now-legalized industry.

The plan worked, but created another problem: Oregon now has way more pot than its 4 million residents can ever possibly hope to smoke.

According to a 2019 Oregon Liquor Control Commission report, there are about 2,100 grower licensees in the state with enough weed currently on the market that it would take an estimated 6.5 years to sell it all within Oregon without any more production. The glut of marijuana has driven the price of marijuana down and left Oregonians wondering how they’ll handle the weed windfall.
            [...]
            https://www.foxnews.com/politics/ore...ijuana-surplus

Man, this is really going to hurt jobs... Maybe Bernie can help them out and offer free dope for everyone.

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
            "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
              My town is at the nexus of hippie and conservative Oregon. Even amongst the farmers and ranchers, there's quite a few community farms that are run by the crunchiest hippies out there. I assume that some of these small farms could be adversely affected by a cap and trade bill. We get our meat and some of our produce from these small farms, so I am sympathetic to what this bill could potentially do to their business. Still, the fleeing republicans are an embarrassment. What a joke.
              You made me laugh - you seriously live in the most polar opposite place I've ever seen. Ultra right wingers - and ultra left wingers co-habituating along the shores of the Deschutes.

Most of them Californicators.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
              -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

LOL... Five Oregon counties may leave Oregon and join (Greater) Idaho?

Five Oregon counties to vote on leaving state, escaping to 'Greater Idaho'
                Two Greater Idaho initiatives passed, two failed in November

[...]
                https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...te-escaping-g/
                "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

HFN, if you're reading this, we miss you and hope you are well.
                  τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...te-escaping-g/
                    Have those counties asked Idaho if we'd accept them into our state?
                    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
                    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
                    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
                    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
                    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                      We don't want them.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost Student View Post

Have those counties asked Idaho if we'd accept them into our state?
                        You should at least accept the county with Bandon Dunes in it.
                        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
                          We don't want them.
                          But (Greater) Idaho could have a sea port and no longer be landlocked.
                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Phew! Just barely made the cut on that border!
                            "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                            - SeattleUte

Comment

Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
                              We don't want them.
                              "We?" - You're from California. It takes at least three generations of unbroken residency before you can evoke "we" status.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                              -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Working...
                              X