Thread: Le Tour 2019

Default Le Tour 2019

This sucks

"Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    This sucks

Apparently it's a femur fracture. Poor guy.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
    ouch. I hated watching him ride, but man that sucks.

UofU/BYU mixed marriage Scott R Nelson's Avatar

I watched the Tour for several years starting with the last year that Lance Armstrong competed in it. I was pretty much wasting the entire month of July trying to keep up with my daily recordings of it. Then they had drug scandal after drug scandal and I decided to stop following it. Haven't really missed it.

I also followed the Dakar Rally (all motorized stuff, but at least as tough on competitors) for a few years, but you can only get highlights for that, so you only "waste" about half an hour per day. I've almost completely dropped out of following sports other than NBA championships when a team I like is in there. I'm seriously wondering if the Warriors can pull out another win.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
    Femur, ribs and elbow. Sounds like a brutal crash. Odd thing is that it was a training run on an ITT, which makes me wonder if he just lost control or lost concentration at some point.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
    I watched the Tour for several years starting with the last year that Lance Armstrong competed in it. I was pretty much wasting the entire month of July trying to keep up with my daily recordings of it. Then they had drug scandal after drug scandal and I decided to stop following it. Haven't really missed it.

I also followed the Dakar Rally (all motorized stuff, but at least as tough on competitors) for a few years, but you can only get highlights for that, so you only "waste" about half an hour per day. I've almost completely dropped out of following sports other than NBA championships when a team I like is in there. I'm seriously wondering if the Warriors can pull out another win.
    Cool story.

Femur, ribs and elbow. Sounds like a brutal crash. Odd thing is that it was a training run on an ITT, which makes me wonder if he just lost control or lost concentration at some point.
    They'd said earlier that Froome was blowing his nose and that the wind evidently caught his disc wheel and sent him sideways.

Geraint Thomas crashes out of the Criterium du Dauphine. Doesn’t sound like it’s too bad but he did abandon and was taken to the hospital. With Dumoulin still nursing a sore knee from his crash in Italy, this could be a wide open Tour de France.

Geraint Thomas crashes out of the Criterium du Dauphine. Doesn’t sound like it’s too bad but he did abandon and was taken to the hospital. With Dumoulin still nursing a sore knee from his crash in Italy, this could be a wide open Tour de France.
    That's crazy that so many top contenders are having problems.

Merckx record for stage wins is safe, Cavendish was left off this years tour by his team. I think it was safe anyway enough if he was put on the team, his days of winning are behind him.
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/...ark-cavendish/

Quote Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
    Merckx record for stage wins is safe, Cavendish was left off this years tour by his team. I think it was safe anyway enough if he was put on the team, his days of winning are behind him.
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/...ark-cavendish/
    It was disappointing they left him home, IMO. And to add to it, Renshaw just announced his retirement. The changing of the sprinting guard, I guess.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

The Grand Depart from Brussels was very nice. I spent my HS years in Brussels and enjoyed watching all the landmarks on the coverage. It is amazing how much Eddy is still venerated there. The TTT course passed within half a kilometer from where I lived and about 1k from my school. I had hoped to make it there for the race, but it was not to be.

Today's stage was very interesting. Alaphilippe looked good.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    The Grand Depart from Brussels was very nice. I spent my HS years in Brussels and enjoyed watching all the landmarks on the coverage. It is amazing how much Eddy is still venerated there. The TTT course passed within half a kilometer from where I lived and about 1k from my school. I had hoped to make it there for the race, but it was not to be.

Today's stage was very interesting. Alaphilippe looked good.
    It was a fun stage to watch. I like the stages with the punchy hills at the end. Makes it interesting.

Might have to track down and listen to Armstrong’s podcast during the race. Any subscribers here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
    Might have to track down and listen to Armstrong’s podcast during the race. Any subscribers here?

I subscribe. The best thing is Hincapie and Bruyneel. I feel a bit guilty, as it’s like a dopeur hall of fame. But they do know cycling.
    Last edited by creekster; 07-09-2019 at 07:27 AM.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post

I listen to it on my commute. It’s short enough that it stays interesting and Bruyneel is easily the best thing about it. His predictions are usually spot on. They give a good look into the tactics being used.

Chris Horner seems like the sort of guy who sits in his lawn chair with a Coors in his hand and pontificates on the subject of the moment. He is always quite certain about whatever he is talking about and rarely cares too much about what anyone else says. But he is nice enough and correct often enough that we all keep listening to him.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Chris Horner seems like the sort of guy who sits in his lawn chair with a Coors in his hand and pontificates on the subject of the moment. He is always quite certain about whatever he is talking about and rarely cares too much about what anyone else says. But he is nice enough and correct often enough that we all keep listening to him.
    Maybe he got that smug attitude by winning a grand tour race at age 41 at a time when everyone is looking for dirty riders and he didn't get caught.

Quote Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
    Maybe he got that smug attitude by winning a grand tour race at age 41 at a time when everyone is looking for dirty riders and he didn't get caught.
    Probably so. His blood passport values were pretty suspicious, as I recall. And today I read that the spanish have finished up DNA matching with Operacion Puerto blood samples but because the statute of limitations has run on the claims they will not release information. but rumors are that there are several big name cyclists and maybe stars from other sports as well that were identified.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

SPOILERS STAGE 6

The tour has been interesting to watch this year. Yesterday Sagan won the stage showing his form might be a bit better than some of us thought.

Today it was quite a show on the way up to La Planche des Belle Filles (and for you French speakers, why did Phil keep saying Belle Fils??) The fight for Yellow turned out to be pretty dramatic. Ciccone, who took second on the stage as one of two survivors of a long break, needed to beat Alaphilippe by about 1:30 to take yellow. It looked like it was going to be easy until Alaphilippe contested in the very last few kilometers. His attack was epic but his legs gave way just tens of meters from the line when he started to wobble and weave and it looked like he might actually be unable to keep going upright. Thus, he ends up losing the jersey by about 6 seconds. If his team had chased a little earlier in the race to keep the break under 8 minutes, or if Julian had not put in work to lead out sprinters two stages ago, maybe he would have kept the jersey.

Am I the only one who thinks that Willens, from Belgium, looks a lot like CHicken Legs Rasmussen on the bike? Not quite the same weird form, but still, it reminded me a lot of rasmussen when I was watching him.

Perhaps the most impressive ride, for me, was Geraint Thomas. Ineos looked pretty bad today. They only had three guys near the fron on the last climb. But then, in the last kilometer or two, Thomas put his stamp on the race by accelerating away and grabbing fourth place. He didn't put that much time into the GC riders but he did make a statement. He is ready to go.

it is nice to see Belgians doing so well in this edition of the tour, which is dedicated to Eddy M. and the great belgian riding heritage.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

That last km yesterday was brutal. When you see these guys standing on their pedals and still just barely moving you know it's steep.

Default Le Tour 2019

Tejay out with a broken thumb. Looked like he hit a median earlier in the race. I think he lost 8 minutes yesterday, so he probably knew he was going to crash today.

I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

This has been a great edition of the Tour. No spoilers, but the wind and some questionable strategies played havoc on the GC standings, which was a big surprise. The last few days have been great. Rest day tomorrow then back to racing.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

This has been a great edition of the Tour. No spoilers, but the wind and some questionable strategies played havoc on the GC standings, which was a big surprise. The last few days have been great. Rest day tomorrow then back to racing.
    I agree (although I haven't watched today's stage), it's been a very interesting and competitive Tour thus far. And there have been surprisingly few crashes (sorry, Teejay), but I guess those occurred before the Tour began.

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    I agree (although I haven't watched today's stage), it's been a very interesting and competitive Tour thus far. And there have been surprisingly few crashes (sorry, Teejay), but I guess those occurred before the Tour began.
    The number of crashes has been quite low. Several theories kicked around about why, but it might just be luck of the draw. Tejay was just inattentive and, honestly, did it all by himself. It seems like he is just one of those guys, almost like an american and skewed version of Tommie Voeckler, who is talented and competitive but always has some reason that he is unable to finish or win.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.