Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
    Is that supposed to be hard?

I just flip the "upper" leg around to the side and stand. Is that cheating? Is there some other way you're supposed to be able to stand up from that position?
    Read the article.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
      Is that supposed to be hard?

I just flip the "upper" leg around to the side and stand. Is that cheating? Is there some other way you're supposed to be able to stand up from that position?
      Here's a video linked in that article:

"I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
        How did you start? I used to be very flexible. Not so much now.
        I started by sitting on the floor and trying to straighten out my legs. After a month or so, I could sit flat with my legs extended for a little bit. This also gave me a mild, but significant, ab workout.

Then I started reaching past my knees and holding the reach for several seconds (not bouncing). My lower back started to loosen up, and as a tall guy, loosening up my back has just been wonderful.

Then I did a 1-2: I did my routine on the floor, and then I reached for the floor while standing.

Then I added a third step: After my reach on the floor, I started moving my legs apart while sitting, reaching, and holding. I found my arms, shoulders, and neck were loosening and my posture was much improved. I don't have any scientific proof, but I think my circulation improved too.

It took a while--months--before I could put my knuckles on the floor, and then a little while longer and my palms were on the floor.

Then I was doing butterflies with reaches and I was doing poses from my wife's yoga book (and without straining).

When my forehead touched my knee it was a real milestone. I hadn't done that since grade school.
        Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 06-06-2019, 03:33 PM.
        We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Comment

That video helps. I can get down and back up without touching anything, but I need a little bit of arm motion to make the weight transfer to get back up. Unclear how many points I lose doing it that way (not more than two I'm sure). Balance is not an issue for me. The article didn't give me much useful information, but the video did.

Comment

Yes. For the time being.
            "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Yes, I'm getting old. But this thread is making me feel much better about myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
                I started by sitting on the floor and trying to straighten out my legs. After a month or so, I could sit flat with my legs extended for a little bit. This also gave me a mild, but significant, ab workout.

Then I started reaching past my knees and holding the reach for several seconds (not bouncing). My lower back started to loosen up, and as a tall guy, loosening up my back has just been wonderful.

Then I did a 1-2: I did my routine on the floor, and then I reached for the floor while standing.

Then I added a third step: After my reach on the floor, I started moving my legs apart while sitting, reaching, and holding. I found my arms, shoulders, and neck were loosening and my posture was much improved. I don't have any scientific proof, but I think my circulation improved too.

It took a while--months--before I could put my knuckles on the floor, and then a little while longer and my palms were on the floor.

Then I was doing butterflies with reaches and I was doing poses from my wife's yoga book (and without straining).

When my forehead touched my knee it was a real milestone. I hadn't done that since grade school.
                Here's your next stretch goal:
                sumo stretches.jpg

Comment

According to that video - I died two years ago.

I'm calling BS on the facts and figures.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                  -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                    According to that video - I died two years ago.

I'm calling BS on the facts and figures.
                    Can you prove you're not dead? Ever seen Sixth Sense? That could be you.

Comment

I keep thinking I should find some simple yoga style stretching routine on video that I can follow to increase my flexibility. I probably should just go back to some general stretching like you describe.

It sounds like you at least had some flexibility in the past. On my best days as a kid, I could maybe get my finger tips to touch my toes, but never the floor. Even thinking about my head possibly touching my knees results in a pulled hamstring. :yikes:

Comment

No, and I never will be able to. My left hip is messed up and prevents me from doing certain stretches/yoga poses. But I can turn my left leg around to the outside farther than anyone else that I’ve seen.
                        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Thanks.

Sounds like I just need to actually do something.

Comment

After stretching a bit and on a good day

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

I've got to stretch for half an hour - and then hold my breath - as I get down there and trim my toe nails.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                              -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Working...
                              X