Swampfrog's Oregon Photography Tour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mtnbiker View Post
    Just that any autofocus I've seen hunts around and can't seem to lock onto such objects that take such a small slice of the frame.
    Many of the most current bodies have grid systems where you have one main autofocus point, and 4 helper points (in a + configuration) or 8 helper points (center point plus the 8 surrounding points). The system tries to maintain focus distance and if the main point loses it, the helper points will pick it up if they can. It's pretty stable on even thin objects assuming one can hold the system reasonably still--and the image stabilization in modern lenses helps manage that pretty well.

Comment

OK - this is funny. This picture is taken from/by the boat ramp by the clubhouse of Cascade Head. I've always wanted to buy land right there and build a cabin. I've got a few panoramic pictures of my own at that very spot.

For the non-Oregonians in the crowd - this spot is called Cascade Head - and it's a unique eco-system on the coast. Right off the coast is called Three Rocks and it's reported by native Americans that a sailing ship ran into the rocks and sank there a long time ago.

This is what the are looks like from the POV of the top of that hill.

Last edited by clackamascoug; 06-09-2019, 01:54 PM.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
      -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
          OK - this is funny. This picture is taken from/by the boat ramp by the clubhouse of Cascade Head. I've always wanted to buy land right there and build a cabin. I've got a few panoramic pictures of my own at that very spot.

For the non-Oregonians in the crowd - this spot is called Cascade Head - and it's a unique eco-system on the coast. Right off the coast is called Three Rocks and it's reported by native Americans that a sailing ship ran into the rocks and sank there a long time ago.

This is what the are looks like from the POV of the top of that hill.
          Scratching my head. If the sun is setting on the other side of the mountain, how is the surf light up so bright? The moon's not out yet. The only thing I can think of is that the surf is waaaaay foreshortened, and in actuality is a lot further from the mountain ridge than it appears. Or you know, photoshop.

Comment

The pale sky above is quite bright enough to light the surf. Original looks like this:

cascadehead.jpg

A little enhancement of contrast, but not much from the original.

Comment

I like your choice of depth of field on your second pic, SF.
              "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
              "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
              - SeattleUte

Comment

Ya got me on why the light falls that way then. More of that Swampy magic

Comment

Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                  I like your choice of depth of field on your second pic, SF.
                  Foreground bokeh can be tricky. Some lenses don't handle a blurred foreground very well, especially where it transitions gradually to sharp, but this one seemed to manage it well enough. I had the 1.4x attached also, this was at f/10, and I still have a fairly narrow depth of field. I was very tempted to move the flying bird to another location but didn't take the time.

Someday I'm going to have to figure out how to pay for that lens. Absolutely the most fun week+ of photography I have had in my relatively short shooting life.
                  Last edited by swampfrog; 06-10-2019, 02:49 PM. Reason: left word out

Comment

Comment

Comment

f'ing stellar's jays. Hate those things.

Love the shots of the forest and water.

Comment

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post

Annoying bird. Beautiful photographic subject. Not the best image, have a few better ones to come.

Comment

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post

Why? The noise? We get them in our yard a lot; I love the blue hue.
                            "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                            - SeattleUte

Comment

Damn, swamp. You weren't kidding. Such a wide display of wildlife and landscapes. Very cool.
                              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                                Damn, swamp. You weren't kidding. Such a wide display of wildlife and landscapes. Very cool.
                                Not even close to done... I primarily shot the 600mm rented lens since these are places I can return to another time with the lenses I own. I haven't even got to Malheur yet which is the main course. And we stopped by The Painted Hills on the way home.

Comment

Working...
                                X