Swampfrog's Oregon Photography Tour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swampfrog's Oregon Photography Tour

This trip needs its own thread. Took thousands of pictures, some of which will end up here.

If you love the Northwest and want great ecology lessons along with touring some great natural sites and seeing a bunch of wildlife (primarily birds) of all sizes and shapes, this tour is for you.

http://marksmithnaturetours.com/

http://marksmithnaturetours.com/dest...gon3_itin.html

Can't say enough good things about Mark, walking human encyclopedia of a naturalist. Small birds zip across in front of the van, correctly identifies it, stops the car, plays recording out the window, sure enough, out comes the bird, we all shoot a few pics, and on we go. Same with sounds, walking through on a forest road, hears a bird song, immediately identifies it, plays recording, out comes the bird, we all shoot a few pics. Rinse and repeat.

Point at almost any plant, animal (including insects), rock, etc. He'll give you essential information, scientific names, history, relationships with other species, etc. Seriously unreal.

Having the Canon 600mm f/4L IS USM Mark III with 1.4X extender was a photographic life changing event. Never bothered with the small song birds much before. For a week we were chasing them all over the place, trying to get them to hold still long enough to get a good shot. Amazing detail.

On with the pictures.

Puffins on Haystack rock, overcast drizzly day...not a problem.

Tried chasing flying swallows, ridiculously hard, best I got.

Comment

Whoa I want to do this tour. Mrs. NWC loves her birds, this might be a great idea for both of us.

Looking forward to more pics of this.
      "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
      "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
      - SeattleUte

Comment

Originally posted by swampfrog View Post
        That is ominous.
        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Beautiful - I'm guessing Neskowin? Honeymoon Rock?

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
          -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
            That is ominous.
            I was thinking menacing, but yeah.

When I was at OSU in the beloved geography department, as intro to us new grad students, we had a 1 week whirlwind tour of the varied geography of Oregon. Some very interesting and diverse places. Steens Mtn was very cool.

I look forward to this.

Comment

Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
              Beautiful - I'm guessing Neskowin? Honeymoon Rock?
              Yes, first stop. Proposal Rock.

Comment

1/3200 sec. exposure on the swallow and still can't quite get it to stand still and smile for a picture.... Fast little buggers. And then 1/4 sec. on the cafe. Awesome job.

Comment

Originally posted by mtnbiker View Post
                  1/3200 sec. exposure on the swallow and still can't quite get it to stand still and smile for a picture.... Fast little buggers. And then 1/4 sec. on the cafe. Awesome job.
                  Almost to the point where the correct shutter speed for any situation feels instinctual. Having a really big lens threw me off for a couple days. Needed to adjust to faster speeds. The pictures get better day by day as I get accustomed to working with such a long focal length.
                  Last edited by swampfrog; 06-04-2019, 05:26 PM. Reason: I'm dumb

Comment

Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                    Whoa I want to do this tour. Mrs. NWC loves her birds, this might be a great idea for both of us.

Looking forward to more pics of this.
                    He's suffered some unfortunate medical setbacks so he is going to concentrate more locally instead of globally. He will arrange pretty much anything from a long weekend to several weeks. Not just his scheduled trips are available.

Comment

Comment

Comment

He's suffered some unfortunate medical setbacks so he is going to concentrate more locally instead of globally. He will arrange pretty much anything from a long weekend to several weeks. Not just his scheduled trips are available.
                          Just looked at his website. I want to do all of them!
                          "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                          "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                          - SeattleUte

Comment

Ha ha, swampfrog the stalker sneaking a little hanky panky onto the board.

Last edited by mtnbiker; 06-05-2019, 08:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mtnbiker View Post
                              Ha ha, swampfrog the stalker sneaking a little hanky panky onto the board.
                              Yes, ominous and menacing weren't exactly the words to describe what was coming next...but close

They were facing away, and I had too much lens (as I was doing portraits) for the interaction unfortunately

Comment

Working...
                              X