Hat Etiquette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Anyone over 40 (and half the people under 40) wearing a flat bill hat looks like a huge dork.
    What if they work for Vivint? I think Vivint employees are required to wear those.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Surfah View Post
      This is what people who can't pull off a flat bill say.
      My first thought when I read this was, "Yeah, but can anyone pull off a flat bill?" Still, mindful of my advanced years and that I've never been an arbiter of high fashion, I devoted the past five minutes to researching the flat bill, its virtues, and its implications for society. I found the first two definitions in the Urban Dictionary compelling:

Flatbill
      n. - when a baseball hat is worn with an unbent bill. Often sported by wannabe thugs and douchebags who play the sport of baseball.

flat bill
      The gay ass way that people wear their hats nowadays. They even leave on the gay ass round shiny stickers that tell you how small the casing for your brain is. You used to shape your bill into a curved thing that would fit snugly on your head...back when it was cool to wear a hat.

"Damn foo, look at all those wannabee gangsta's flatbillin it!"

"I can't believe you're using a flat bill...you used to be cool!"
      I'm beginning to think my initial view is correct. I'm also leaning toward adding "gay ass" to my rhetorical tool box.

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
        My first thought when I read this was, "Yeah, but can anyone pull off a flat bill?" Still, mindful of my advanced years and that I've never been an arbiter of high fashion, I devoted the past five minutes to researching the flat bill, its virtues, and its implications for society. I found the first two definitions in the Urban Dictionary compelling:

I'm beginning to think my initial view is correct. I'm also leaning toward adding "gay ass" to my rhetorical tool box.
        You live in the bay area. For multiple reasons, probably not a good move.
        Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
          You live in the bay area. For multiple reasons, probably not a good move.
          Helpful tip, thanks. But I smile as I think about dropping that quip at a board meeting or mark-up session. Perhaps as I'm on the way out the door, which I would be in any event.

Comment

Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
            i usually take my fedora off when inside or in the company of females
            M'lady.
            "Nobody listens to Turtle."
            -Turtle
            sigpic

Comment

Interesting take on flat bills by urban dictionary. "nowadays," huh? They've been around since the early 90s at least.
              "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Originally posted by Commando View Post
                Interesting take on flat bills by urban dictionary. "nowadays," huh? They've been around since the early 90s at least.
                Which reminds me.

"Nobody listens to Turtle."
                -Turtle
                sigpic

Comment

Here's the fact of the matter with hats: it's cyclical. Just like with any other fashion, once something becomes mainstream, the pendulum for the fashion-conscious swings the other direction. Through the 80s and early 90s, adult men wore high front snap backs when they wore a ball cap. Trucker hats, if you will. Which meant the cool thing for the younger crowd became to wear a fitted hat and arc the brim. Which eventually lead to low profile hats and curving the eff out of your brim. Guarantee every person here who went through high school in mid to late 90s wore their hat that way--fitted with the curved brim. By the mid to late aughts, the older people had caught up (hence the "flex fit" and similar one-size-fits-most abominations that filled the need for a fitted look without actually having to manufacture a hat in 1/8" increments) and eventually the hip crowd swerved back to flat brimmed snap backs. Here we are again, 10-12 years later, and the pendulum is starting to swing back. Personally, I wear hats both ways depending on what look i'm going for.
                  Last edited by Donuthole; 05-24-2019, 11:13 AM.
                  Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                    What if they work for Vivint? I think Vivint employees are required to wear those.
                    This got a snort of out me.

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Guys over 40 who wear flat-brimmed hats look strange to me unless they're managing a baseball team. But there's a difference between looking strange and being strange. If they want to wear a flat-brim, good for them. I don't care what I look like in a hat, and wear hats for comfort and habit.

I take my hat off for prayers, churches, the national anthem/pledge, in a guest's house, at the dinner table, and if I meet someone for the first time. Since my hair started thinning and I began wearing cowboy hats regularly, I'll also take my hat off if I'm watching an event and it obstructs the view of the people behind me - I always turn around and ask. I'm a little old fashioned, but a lot less strict about hat etiquette than my folks.
                        sigpic
                        "Outlined against a blue, gray
                        October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                        Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                          i usually take my fedora off when inside or in the company of females
                          A true gentleman.
                          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Working...
                          X