Clear All

• Hat Etiquette

Is hat etiquette still relevant?
    Yes
    71.43%
    No
    28.57%
    We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Depends what you mean by hat etiquette. If you mean that guys over 40 should wear dad hats, then the answer is yes.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      Depends what you mean by hat etiquette. If you mean that guys over 40 should wear dad hats, then the answer is yes.
      This is the first I've heard of dad hats. What are they?

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
        This is the first I've heard of dad hats. What are they?
        https://www.zumiez.com/accessories/hats/dad-hats.html

Hmm... Looks like even the cool people are starting to wear dad hats.

https://www.elle.com/fashion/shoppin...dad-hat-trend/
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

In my head, dad hats were fishing hats and hats that carry beverages....

Comment

People wear hats at my work all the time. Mainly the maintenance field guys, but I am sitting in a meeting with one of our senior design engineers and he is currently wearing a hat.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
              In my head, dad hats were fishing hats and hats that carry beverages....
              That is extreme dad hat territory!

Comment

Those look like normal hats
                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                  Those look like normal hats
                  The 'dad hat' designation refers to softer ball caps with the arced bill and is distinguished from other styles of baseball hat, most notably traditional wool caps and those with a stiff, flat bill. In other words, a baseball cap that a gentleman who has no distinguishable fashion sense or distinct style can wear with dignity.
                  Last edited by Commando; 05-23-2019, 10:37 AM.
                  "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Hat etiquette:

Taking off your hat in churches
                    Taking off your hat during a prayer
                    Taking off your hat in someone's home
                    Taking off your hat in public buildings like schools or libraries or town halls
                    Taking off your hat in an office or indoors in general
                    Taking off your hat at mealtimes
                    Taking off your hat at a performance
                    Taking off your hat during the national anthem or flag procession
                    Taking off your hat when being introduced
                    Taking off your hat in the presence of a lady

My vote: Hat etiquette is generally not relevant and is mainly silly.

Comment

I voted for hat etiquette. I understand why this should not matter, since baseball caps are far and away the most commonly worn hat in the U.S. today and are generally non-obstructive or cumbersome (no need to remove your hat in a movie theatre, etc). However, I do find them obnoxious in respectful settings like court, church, and even family dinner, etc.
                      "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

I played golf a few months ago at a club that had a very strict no-hat policy in the clubhouse.
                        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                          Hat etiquette:

Taking off your hat in churches
                          Taking off your hat during a prayer
                          Taking off your hat in someone's home
                          Taking off your hat in public buildings like schools or libraries or town halls
                          Taking off your hat in an office or indoors in general
                          Taking off your hat at mealtimes
                          Taking off your hat at a performance
                          Taking off your hat during the national anthem or flag procession
                          Taking off your hat when being introduced
                          Taking off your hat in the presence of a lady

My vote: Hat etiquette is generally not relevant and is mainly silly.
                          I agree with your general conclusion, but have bolded a couple areas where I think hat etiquette is still relevant.
                          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

I have never caught on to the flat bill thing. Back in my Little League days (it was called The Great Society for a reason), we worked on getting the perfect arch in the bill, which I still endorse. Old guys like me with the flat bill look wrong to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                              I agree with your general conclusion, but have bolded a couple areas where I think hat etiquette is still relevant.
                              Yeah, as I was putting together that list those two items, plus church, stood out the most to me as where I would probably take off my hat, if I was a hat wearer, which I'm not.

Comment

Working...
                              X