ATCQ 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATCQ 2019

Still the best Hip Hop group in history. I still remember the first time I heard them: around 1991 I saw this on PBS of all places and was hooked. I had to scour to find them since I didn't remember the name and this was pre-google, of course, but I soon got the album on cassette at Sam Goody...

"I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Originally posted by Commando View Post
    Still the best Hip Hop group in history. I still remember the first time I heard them: around 1991 I saw this on PBS of all places and was hooked. I had to scour to find them since I didn't remember the name and this was pre-google, of course, but I soon got the album on cassette at Sam Goody...

For me and my house, Digable Planets is the best hip-hop group of all time. Nothing tops Blowout Comb. ATCQ is second and I'm not going to criticize anyone for having them first of all time.

I also still maintain that Midnight Marauders is better than Low End Theory.

We Got it From Here was a really really good album.
    As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
    --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post

I also still maintain that Midnight Marauders is better than Low End Theory.

Obvs.
      "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

For me and my house, Digable Planets is the best hip-hop group of all time. Nothing tops Blowout Comb.
        I don't think they have enough of a catalogue to be eligible for consideration.

Comment

We Got it From Here was a really really good album.
          Yes it was. It deserved the Grammy, and Q-Tip was correct to be irate. They just don't make em like that anymore, except when ATCQ reunites and makes em.

Comment

Yes it was. It deserved the Grammy, and Q-Tip was correct to be irate. They just don't make em like that anymore, except when ATCQ reunites and makes em.
            It has an argument for the third best Tribe album of all time. I don't think anything other than Low End and Midnight Marauders are clearly better.
            --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

It has an argument for the third best Tribe album of all time. I don't think anything other than Low End and Midnight Marauders are clearly better.
              Agreed. If you watch Beats, Rhymes & Life, you can see the obvious reasons for that. The first album obviously they had no idea what they were doing and Phife wasn't really rapping, but after the Low End Theory they had no more excuses.

Comment

Agreed. If you watch Beats, Rhymes & Life, you can see the obvious reasons for that. The first album obviously they had no idea what they were doing and Phife wasn't really rapping, but after the Low End Theory they had no more excuses.
                I'd really put the albums in tiers:

Tier one: Low End Theory and Midnight Marauders
                Tier two: We Got it From Here; Beats, Rhymes, and Life; and the Love Movement (the album is underrated)
                Tier three: People's Instinctive Travels

I just have never loved the first album. It is not a bad album, but I'm never really listening to it.
                --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

I'd really put the albums in tiers:

Tier one: Low End Theory and Midnight Marauders
                  Tier two: We Got it From Here; Beats, Rhymes, and Life; and the Love Movement (the album is underrated)
                  Tier three: People's Instinctive Travels

I just have never loved the first album. It is not a bad album, but I'm never really listening to it.
                  It's a curiosity for sure, but there are things I'll listen to once in a while. I think I would put We Got It From Here above the other two in tier 2. Just because, while those albums have their highlights, there is just a lot of filler. The new one feels a lot lot lighter on the filler. I loved ATCQ so much when BR&L came out that I overlooked its flaws, but those are impossible to ignore now-- that was such a giant step down from Midnight Marauders.

Comment

There are a lot of excellent ATCQ mixtapes out. My favorite is the Mick Boogie mixtape, but I hadn't heard this one before.

Comment

Working...
                    X