Huawei

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Huawei

So this could get ugly and I'm not sure that's a bad thing. Commerce Dept put them on an entity list, requiring U.S. suppliers to go through export controls to sell to Huawei. The Trump administration also issued an EO banning Huawei equipment on US telecom networks.

I'm not sure what to think about all this. When it comes to the Chinese there seems to be a blurring of partisan lines. Former Obama people are lobbying for Huawei while the DNC is banning Huawei and ZTE devices.

Anyways, would definitely be interested in seeing what the board thinks on this one.

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
    So this could get ugly and I'm not sure that's a bad thing. Commerce Dept put them on an entity list, requiring U.S. suppliers to go through export controls to sell to Huawei. The Trump administration also issued an EO banning Huawei equipment on US telecom networks.

I'm not sure what to think about all this. When it comes to the Chinese there seems to be a blurring of partisan lines. Former Obama people are lobbying for Huawei while the DNC is banning Huawei and ZTE devices.

Anyways, would definitely be interested in seeing what the board thinks on this one.
    It might be the rare instance of Trump tripping and accidentally stumbling into doing something helpful for once.

Comment

I have some contacts with very good knowledge of business and government in China. Huawei was founded as, still is, and will continue to be an arm of the PLA, regardless of whatever the company and the CCP claim publicly.

EDIT: Which means I think countries and businesses would be nuts to install Huawei gear, and the pressure the government is putting on them is a good thing.

Comment

When it comes to insecure Android phones, Huawei's are the worst.
        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
          I was hoping you'd reply. What do you think of fears over 5G gear?

Comment

DHS warns of 'strong concerns' that Chinese-made drones are stealing data

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/20/politics/dhs-chinese-drone-warning/index.html

Chinese-made drones may be sending sensitive flight data to their manufacturers in China, where it can be accessed by the government there, the US Department of Homeland Security warned in an alert issued Monday obtained by CNN.

The drones are a "potential risk to an organization's information," the alert from DHS's Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency states. The products "contain components that can compromise your data and share your information on a server accessed beyond the company itself."
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I hope that Huawei "forks" Android and makes its own version... That will make them secure!

Exclusive: Google suspends some business with Huawei after Trump blacklist - source

Alphabet Inc’s Google has suspended business with Huawei that requires the transfer of hardware, software and technical services except those publicly available via open source licensing, a source familiar with the matter told Reuters on Sunday, in a blow to the Chinese technology company that the U.S. government has sought to blacklist around the world.

Holders of current Huawei smartphones with Google apps, however, will continue to be able to use and download app updates provided by Google, a Google spokesperson said, confirming earlier reporting by Reuters.
              [...]
              https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKCN1SP0NB
              "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Good thread on recent interview given by Huawei CEO.

Comment

U.S. pushes hard for a ban on Huawei in Europe, but the firm’s 5G prices are nearly irresistible

Last month, the Netherlands’ leading wireless carrier chose Huawei to provide equipment for its next-generation 5G wireless network. The carrier, KPN, insisted the choice was based on quality. But Huawei had another advantage: price.

Huawei underbid the existing vendor, Swedish firm Ericsson, by 60 percent, according to two industry officials who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss a sensitive matter — offering a price that wouldn’t even cover the cost of parts.

The company can afford to provide such steep discounts in part because it has a silent partner: the Chinese government. Huawei gets hundreds of millions of dollars in annual subsidies and, together with another Chinese firm, is guaranteed a majority share of the domestic market, the world’s largest.
                  This is evil.
                  Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Yeah. What kills me is the lecturing by the ChiComs about what constitutes 'national security grounds.' So rich coming from a country that bans half the internet and requires majority Chinese ownership for any web-based company operating in the country.

Comment

i guess the good news is that it’s probably not sustainable
                      Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Good thread on recent interview given by Huawei CEO.

Good to see you're okay, old man. I was going to ask if anyone had checked on you. Tornadoes in Dayton. Who would have thought?
                        When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                          Good to see you're okay, old man. I was going to ask if anyone had checked on you. Tornadoes in Dayton. Who would have thought?
                          I have a feeling that YO is a safe distance away from those tornadoes.

Comment

Yeah. What kills me is the lecturing by the ChiComs about what constitutes 'national security grounds.' So rich coming from a country that bans half the internet and requires majority Chinese ownership for any web-based company operating in the country.
                            They need to shut their whore mouths. They want 5G so they can better monitor everything going on inside and outside the country. Very, very evil.
                            Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

ChiCom ambassador speaks to the Swedes. Doesn't address Ericsson but s-talks America.

Ambassador Gui stressed that the trade war started by the US hurts other countries and itself. The trade war deliberately started by the US damages the US economy, and the US will not win from it. Of course the necessary counter-measures by China will also affect the economy of China. The global economy will suffer from the trade war too. These consequences are the last thing we want to see. Our door is open for trade negotiation with the US. If the US wants to talk, let’s talk, but all talks must be based on equality, trust and mutual benefits. If the US sticks to its gun, we have no choice but to fight it till the end. In fact, the US is ill. It needs to see a doctor to treat the illness, instead of blaming others and shifting the trouble to others.
                              http://www.chinaembassy.se/eng/sgxw/t1666328.htm

Comment

Working...
                              X