Thread: Huawei

Default Huawei

So this could get ugly and I'm not sure that's a bad thing. Commerce Dept put them on an entity list, requiring U.S. suppliers to go through export controls to sell to Huawei. The Trump administration also issued an EO banning Huawei equipment on US telecom networks.

I'm not sure what to think about all this. When it comes to the Chinese there seems to be a blurring of partisan lines. Former Obama people are lobbying for Huawei while the DNC is banning Huawei and ZTE devices.

Anyways, would definitely be interested in seeing what the board thinks on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
    So this could get ugly and I'm not sure that's a bad thing. Commerce Dept put them on an entity list, requiring U.S. suppliers to go through export controls to sell to Huawei. The Trump administration also issued an EO banning Huawei equipment on US telecom networks.

I'm not sure what to think about all this. When it comes to the Chinese there seems to be a blurring of partisan lines. Former Obama people are lobbying for Huawei while the DNC is banning Huawei and ZTE devices.

Anyways, would definitely be interested in seeing what the board thinks on this one.
    It might be the rare instance of Trump tripping and accidentally stumbling into doing something helpful for once.

I have some contacts with very good knowledge of business and government in China. Huawei was founded as, still is, and will continue to be an arm of the PLA, regardless of whatever the company and the CCP claim publicly.

EDIT: Which means I think countries and businesses would be nuts to install Huawei gear, and the pressure the government is putting on them is a good thing.

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    I was hoping you'd reply. What do you think of fears over 5G gear?

DHS warns of 'strong concerns' that Chinese-made drones are stealing data

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/20/politics/dhs-chinese-drone-warning/index.html

Chinese-made drones may be sending sensitive flight data to their manufacturers in China, where it can be accessed by the government there, the US Department of Homeland Security warned in an alert issued Monday obtained by CNN.

The drones are a "potential risk to an organization's information," the alert from DHS's Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency states. The products "contain components that can compromise your data and share your information on a server accessed beyond the company itself."
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

I hope that Huawei "forks" Android and makes its own version... That will make them secure!

Exclusive: Google suspends some business with Huawei after Trump blacklist - source

Alphabet Inc’s Google has suspended business with Huawei that requires the transfer of hardware, software and technical services except those publicly available via open source licensing, a source familiar with the matter told Reuters on Sunday, in a blow to the Chinese technology company that the U.S. government has sought to blacklist around the world.

Holders of current Huawei smartphones with Google apps, however, will continue to be able to use and download app updates provided by Google, a Google spokesperson said, confirming earlier reporting by Reuters.
    [...]
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKCN1SP0NB
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!