Thread: Church Announces "Roll Your Own" Program

Default Church Announces "Roll Your Own" Program

Apparently, the new youth programs are in beta testing.

The new initiative will allow local leaders and families to customize their weekday activities, service opportunities, camps and other outdoor activities to meet the needs of children and youth rather than prescribed requirements.
    I feel this completely misses the point of the "prescribed requirements," because checking off requirements was never supposed to be the end goal. I'll hold off on more murmuring, though, until we get training for implementing the initiative. I'm not holding my breath on training actually rolling out, because this all feels very loosey-goosey "leave it to the families and local leaders to figure out what to do and how to do it."

More details will be available at ChildrenAndYouth.ChurchofJesusChrist.org as they become available.
    Last edited by LVAllen; 04-29-2019 at 01:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LVAllen View Post

I feel this completely misses the point of the "prescribed requirements," because checking off requirements was never supposed to be the end goal. I'll hold off on more murmuring, though, until we get training for implementing the initiative. I'm not holding my breath on training actually rolling out, because this all feels very loosey-goosey "leave it to the families and local leaders to figure out what to do and how to do it."

More details will be available at ChildrenAndYouth.ChurchofJesusChrist.org as they become available.
    Who is going to take the time to type in that big URL?
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Striving for mediocrity Art Vandelay's Avatar

Super disappointed in this thread. I thought for sure the church had finally decided to allow what my uncle did, in rolling his own cigarettes. He always claimed it was both cheaper and better than the Winston Reds, my dad smoked

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    Super disappointed in this thread. I thought for sure the church had finally decided to allow what my uncle did, in rolling his own cigarettes. He always claimed it was both cheaper and better than the Winston Reds, my dad smoked

I see you have Prince Albert in a can. When are you planning on letting him out?

I see you have Prince Albert in a can. When are you planning on letting him out?
    lol. haven't heard that in decades.

answer: as soon as I catch my (running) refrigerator.
    Last edited by Art Vandelay; 04-29-2019 at 04:28 PM.

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

lol. haven't heard that in decades. as soon as I catch my (running) refrigerator.
    Caller i.d. pretty much put an end to all the stupid crank calls we did when were kids. Tender mercies.

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    Caller i.d. pretty much put an end to all the stupid crank calls we did when were kids. Tender mercies.
    Im sure someone knows the answer, and has an explanation for the difference. Is the correct term "crank" or "prank". I've heard, and used both, somewhat interchangeably.

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    Im sure someone knows the answer, and has an explanation for the difference. Is the correct term "crank" or "prank". I've heard, and used both, somewhat interchangeably.
    Was in Provo this last week - drove by the old neighborhood - looked at the wires crossing the road where we used to hang darkened eggs at the perfect windshield height. Direct hit every egg. Pretty sure those were pranks - being differentiated from my crank phone calls as "Detective Jim Anderson from the IRS."
    Last edited by clackamascoug; 04-29-2019 at 04:53 PM.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
    -Mid Summer's Night Dream

This should teach you to fish for an answer:

http://bfy.tw/NRRg
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

The churches I know of with successful youth programs, have either paid youth pastors or professional ordained clergy, like nuns and priests, to dedicate themselves full-time to programming that fulfills, educates, edifies, and entertains the youth they serve. It'll be interesting to see how the Church competes with unpaid lay leaders.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Quote Originally Posted by wuapinmon View Post
    The churches I know of with successful youth programs, have either paid youth pastors or professional ordained clergy, like nuns and priests, to dedicate themselves full-time to programming that fulfills, educates, edifies, and entertains the youth they serve. It'll be interesting to see how the Church competes with unpaid lay leaders.
    Yeah, there are a lot of churches here that have their "vacation bible camp" and such during the summer for kids. With scout camp going away I guess I'll just send my young son to programming camp that the local university (UT-D) does in the summers.

Hey, you should get your college to create camps for all these displaced LDS kids so they have something to do during the summer months!
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    Yeah, there are a lot of churches here that have their "vacation bible camp" and such during the summer for kids. With scout camp going away I guess I'll just send my young son to programming camp that the local university (UT-D) does in the summers.

Hey, you should get your college to create camps for all these displaced LDS kids so they have something to do during the summer months!
    My kids did Youth Conference down at Snow college last year. They did not enjoy it.

Is scout camp going away? I would think we'll still do some form of camping with the youth; just not call it 'scout' camp.

Quote Originally Posted by beefytee View Post
    My kids did Youth Conference down at Snow college last year. They did not enjoy it.
    That's unfortunate. We went to Ricks a couple of times for youth conference (when I was a youth), and had a blast. It all depends on how it's organized and what activities there are.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker View Post
    Is scout camp going away? I would think we'll still do some form of camping with the youth; just not call it 'scout' camp.

That's unfortunate. We went to Ricks a couple of times for youth conference (when I was a youth), and had a blast. It all depends on how it's organized and what activities there are.
    The nice thing is that now my son won't consider going to Snow. Now if we can just convince him that partying at Dixie St. isn't worth it. He is borderline for admission to BYU, so he should have lots of good choices.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker View Post
    Is scout camp going away? I would think we'll still do some form of camping with the youth; just not call it 'scout' camp..
    There are a good number of BSA scout camps in and around the DFW area that are pretty nice thanks to large donors like Ross Perot and such. Those will be going away and the youth won't have access to them any more. The camp the girls go to up in Oklahoma doesn't have near the "toys" and related facilities (e.g., sail boats, shooting ranges, etc). It is totally not even close to the LDS girls camp up in Heber City. Therefore, when the LDS church pulls out of the BSA I assume we will be losing access to a lot of good camp facilities and equipment. So I assume that for all practical purposes summer camp will be going away for the LDS kids around here unless they want to go camp in a van down by river and shoot cans with a BB gun or something...

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

There are a good number of BSA scout camps in and around the DFW area that are pretty nice thanks to large donors like Ross Perot and such. Those will be going away and the youth won't have access to them any more. The camp the girls go to up in Oklahoma doesn't have near the "toys" and related facilities (e.g., sail boats, shooting ranges, etc). It is totally not even close to the LDS girls camp up in Heber City. Therefore, when the LDS church pulls out of the BSA I assume we will be losing access to a lot of good camp facilities and equipment. So I assume that for all practical purposes summer camp will be going away for the LDS kids around here unless they want to go camp in a van down by river and shoot cans with a BB gun or something...

You say that like it is a bad thing.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    You say that like it is a bad thing.
    No, there is nothing wrong with living in a van down by the river... I actually did that for a while when I was between places as a student at BYU.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Too many anti-vaxxers.
    "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

https://grammarist.com/usage/prank-call-or-crank-call/

A prank call is when someone calls a telephone line for the sole purpose of playing a prank or joke on the receiving end. The call is supposed to be anonymous and seen as funny for the prankster and slightly annoying for the user. Oftentimes it is associated with children or immature behavior.

The person making the telephone call is a prank caller.

A crank call is another name for prank call, though some make a differentiation between the two by saying a crank call is the name for a prank call made by someone who should know better.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

The program sounds pretty much exactly as both the teachers and priests quorums were operating before. At least leaders can now not feel guilty for not trying to do scout stuff or skip roundtable.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

With scout camp going away I guess I'll just send my young son to programming camp that the local university (UT-D) does in the summers.
    UT? Pffft. Send him to Harvard instead.
    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay

I would rather take a political risk in pursuit of peace, than to risk peace in pursuit of politics. --President Donald J. Trump

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst